talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Reviews

Reviews Reviews of machines, tools, and accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Panel Max Pro Clamps are AWESOME!

That's pretty wild, Alex. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
Eiji,

Are these clamps the same as the Plano brand?
My Felder rep sells Plano...

Good looking setup

Mirko
Yes they are
There was a thread mentioning them on the Felder fog last week.
I have a set - a bit fiddly but good enough. Bigger shops in the US seem to go for hydraulic or air operated clamps
Richard.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:37 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by EijiFuller View Post

That's a really good looking system but it makes my back ache just thinking about working in that low position -- I think that I would need to build a pivoting/hinged system with them so I could do all of the matching grains / gluing / alignment work up at waist level then pivot it down to the vertical.
Eiji -- How about a close up picture or two of the clamping screws/knobs/latches? Very nice!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:03 AM

I dont work in a low position at all.???

All layout/ grain match is done on my assembly table then marked in order. The only thing im doing at the clamps is slipping the boards, with glue on them,in and clamping them.:sdrool:

Grain matching is a time consuming process that needs to be done at a table or bench so I can veiw the boards at multiple angles. wiped down with mineral spirits to make sure the colors match up too.

Mirko,

They are the plano knockoffs. I wouldve ordered the planos if Peachtree didnt want to discount them.

Last edited by EijiFuller; 11-10-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKirkpatrick View Post
Very nice indeed! I want to die and come back as you. We all should have your money!
The 3rd picture shows some angled boards glued up. What in the world are you making there?
Your kidding right? Mr Roubo/benchcrafted hardware and brandnew GO636.

I bought these with money that came from this job. Its a big stair case. The angled glue ups are the pie shaped treads. I've got a nice pic progression of the massive pie treads at the jointer. in my album Chechen stair.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moulinabois View Post
Yes they are
There was a thread mentioning them on the Felder fog last week.
I have a set - a bit fiddly but good enough. Bigger shops in the US seem to go for hydraulic or air operated clamps
Richard.

I would much prefer a pneumatic clamp system but then we are talking a much bigger capital investment there.

Fiddly? How so? Once the bottom clamp blocks are set, that takes a whole minute, the glue ups go very fast and it saves a lot of time and space. Totally worth it im my world.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Your kidding right? Mr Roubo/benchcrafted hardware and brandnew GO636.
LOL! Touche.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:50 AM

Looks like an excellent clamping system
I like the fact that it can be used upright, great space saver! it'll pay for itself in no time.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I would much prefer a pneumatic clamp system but then we are talking a much bigger capital investment there.

Fiddly? How so? Once the bottom clamp blocks are set, that takes a whole minute, the glue ups go very fast and it saves a lot of time and space. Totally worth it im my world.
Maybe I'm just ham fisted or I don't use mine enough, but I find them a bit awkward to move the bottom clamping elements and then to clip in the top bits. But I can see from the work you do that we are not in the same league. I envy your skill. Keep up the good work.
Richard
Old 11-14-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moulinabois View Post
Maybe I'm just ham fisted or I don't use mine enough, but I find them a bit awkward to move the bottom clamping elements and then to clip in the top bits. But I can see from the work you do that we are not in the same league. I envy your skill. Keep up the good work.
Richard
Richard,

First thank you for the compliments. I do agree somewhat that the up down adjustment of the bottom clamp elements are a little tedious to adjust and for the woodworker that only does a couple of glue-ups at a time they might not be worth it. For a production run that really doesnt amount to a hill of beans.

I had 18 - 20mm x 12 3/4" x 50", 24 - pie shaped panels that tapered from 10 3/4" to 23" in 50", 6 - 18" x 70" panels. That's 48 panels and I had to adjust the clamps 3 times. I got the panels done in 2 days! Still much faster than traditional clamps even without considering the time saved in alternate alignment methods. There is also the additional huge benefit of the space saved and having your other clamps available for other assembly tasks.

Over all I give it a

Last edited by EijiFuller; 11-14-2010 at 01:45 AM.