talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Reviews

Reviews Reviews of machines, tools, and accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 07:43 PM

Default Bosch GDR10.8V-LI Lithium-ion Impact Driver

While shopping in a well known DIY store about 3 months ago with my wife I came across this little impact driver on sale, being very hard on drill drivers I was need of a new backup but was not sure that a drill that weighs approximately 2.2 lbs ( 1kg) and is only 10.8 volts could handle the job, but I figured it was only going to be a back up and if it did not cut the mustard I could used it for small work in the shop, so I took the plunge and for $150 bucks was no big risk, it came with 2 lithium-ion batteries, charger , two bits and a cloth case.
Well three months later I could not be more pleased its lite to use (if you have a drill in your hand for any amount of time you know what I mean) It has never said no 3 1/2 inch screws 3 inch lag bolts makes no difference, the tiny and I mean tiny 10.8 batteries last very well (42 3 1/2 inch screws on one charge, yes i know its not designed to do that but it was all I had at the job) and charges very quickly 70% in 15 mins 100% in30 mins . Its also comfortable to hold and has a ring of 3 led lights around the chuck area which work well in low light. here are the features
Features:
# Only half the size of a standard cordless impact driver
# Powerful 100 Nm torque for 80% of conventional cordless impact driver applications in metal, concrete and wood
# High speed (1,800 rpm) for fast work progress
# Bosch Electronic Cell Protection (ECP): protects the battery against overload, overheating and total discharge
# Improves working safety by protecting the user with its no kick-back feature
# Integrated luminous ring with 3 LEDs for lighting up the work area, even in dark places
# Motor brake for precise working
# Charger with rapid-charge system: Hyper Charge charges the battery to 70% in 15 minutes, to 100% in 30 minutes Specification:
# Battery capacity: 1.3 Ah
# No-load speed: 0 – 1.800 rpm
# Charging time: 30 min
# Weight including battery, approx.: 1 kg
# Torque, max. (hard screwdriving applications): 100 Nm
# Rated impact rate: 3.000 rpm
# Battery voltage: 10.8 V
# Toolholder: 1/4" internal hexagon
# Screw diameter: M 4 – M 12

Its a hit with me

Last edited by Admin; 09-11-2008 at 07:51 PM. Reason: http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/members/colinwhite-albums-colin-salbum-picture1178-10-8-battery.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-15-2008, 02:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to BrockinFla
Default Re: Bosch GDR10.8V-LI Lithium-ion Impact Driver

I have to second Colin's review here. I also have this diver as well as Bosch's other similar model with an adjustable head. Both work great.

The biggest issue is the Lithium-ion batteries. Theoretically LI have no "memory" issues so you dont have to deal with full charge, full discharge to prolong battery life. Secondly, Lithium Ion batteries also do not charge degrade over time. Meaning if you charge the battery up today and use 25% of the battery's charge and put it on the shelf for a month and a half, when you next use the driver you will likely have the 75% battery charge still remaining.

Rarely do my drills sit unused for any significant length of time, but on occasion they do sit. There is nothing more aggravating then reaching for a drill which you cant recall the last time it was charged and find the battery dead.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-15-2008, 03:46 AM

Colin,

Several times I've just about pulled the trigger one one but have never done so. You know that's $150+ out of my Festool budget but more so I already have 2 Makita impact drivers.

I've read these little guys really pack a wallop. Someday I'm sure I'll get one and know I'll probably love it as much as you do yours.

Not to highjack your thread here but I have the non-impact driver model and use it about 90% of the time for driving screws where an impact is not needed.

It really is a nice tool. Light and you can just drop it in your tool bag if you've got one on.

Since both models are pretty much the same size I thought I'd post a shot of my driver in my hand for those members who may not have seen one of these in person to give some perspective on its size. I wear a size large glove so my hands aren't small and the driver fits very comfortably in my hand.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:06 AM

Darrin,
The reason I purchased it was the size and weight of it, most of the time I was using it I was on a ladder on the roof line holding a bracket in place with on hand and driving 3 in long lags with the other, so I did not want a heavy bulky driver but I did need one that would drive a 1/2 inch lag 3 inches long. Its still going strong and the batteries have not noticeably degraded.

PS I don't see any difference in size to the one you have pictured
Old 08-15-2008, 04:23 AM

The older I get the more the "size and weight" factor appeals to me. I think both of these really hit the sweet spot on that.

When I was 19 years old I had to have the biggest, heaviest and baddest framing hammer I could lay my hands on. Now a 20 oz hammer is as big as I want to go. Not that I'm pounding many 16d these days.

For me now it's cool to have the littlest, lightest but still baddest tools.

D
Old 08-16-2008, 03:49 PM

Guys,

What's the difference between the model you're talking about and the 20-2 10,8v lithium ion that's on Amazon for $99?

Thanks

Dave
Old 08-18-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaccord View Post
Guys,

What's the difference between the model you're talking about and the 20-2 10,8v lithium ion that's on Amazon for $99?

Thanks

Dave
The ps20 is non-impact, it's "just" a driver. The one being reviewed is the impact version.
Don't blow the ps20 off as a tool that you won't use. It's one of those tools you will wonder how you got by without.
I've ended up with all 3 of the 10.8v Bosch tools. IMHO they are all "home runs"

Ed
Old 09-09-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWhite View Post
Darrin,
The reason I purchased it was the size and weight of it, most of the time I was using it I was on a ladder on the roof line holding a bracket in place with on hand and driving 3 in long lags with the other, so I did not want a heavy bulky driver but I did need one that would drive a 1/2 inch lag 3 inches long. Its still going strong and the batteries have not noticeably degraded.

PS I don't see any difference in size to the one you have pictured

Hey Colin,

I got the 10.8v impact last week. Being at a good sale price I couldn't pass it up.

I was using it to drive 3" screws and using my 14.4 Makita impact for " x 3 5/8" Ledgerloks.

I wasn't minding my Makita batteries very well and ended up running out of juice so I switched over to the little Bosch and was quite pleased. It would drive them at a little slower pace but got the job done just as well.

Very pleased with the little guy!

D
Old 09-09-2008, 07:59 PM

Darrin,

Glad you like it, it's not competition for the big boy's but the little suckers got a big heart, and I'm sure you will find it handy to have around for the smaller stuff.

Colin
Old 01-07-2010, 03:32 AM

i was going though some old threads today and found this one and would just like to say that this impactor is still on the job with me and still used daily and still running on original batteries......I liked this drill so much I was in need of a small drill/ driver a couple of weeks ago and bought the non impact PS30 2A 12 volt version