talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Photography and Video

Photography and Video Helping you take better photos and videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Founding Member

Default Canon 5D Mk II announced.

Canonistas, you have a new dream machine. 3,000 USD for the body.

Canon's update to the wildly popular full frame EOS 5D is here, and it's better than ever. The EOS 5D Mark II has a stunning 21.1-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor with DIGIC 4 Image Processor, a vast ISO Range of 100-6400 (expandable to ISO L: 50, H1: 12800 and H2: 25600), plus EOS technologies like Auto Lighting Optimizer and Peripheral Illumination Correction. It supports Live View shooting, Live View HD videos, and more. It can shoot up to 3.9 fps, has 9 AF points plus 6 AF assist points, a 98% coverage viewfinder, a 3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) and a rugged build.

The EOS 5D Mark II features a huge, full-frame sensor. A 21.1-megapixel CMOS sensor delivers images of up to 5616 x 3744 pixels. And since it is full-frame, all lenses will deliver the angle of view they would on a 35mm camera without a conversion factor. This comes in handy especially when shooting with wide-angle lenses. For the flexibility to shoot in even the most dimly lit situations, the EOS 5D Mark II offers Canon's highest ISO sensitivity to date, ranging from 100-6400 (expandable to ISO L: 50, H1: 12800 and H2: 25600). Thanks to improved noise reduction technologies, images shot even at highest sensitivity will be remarkably smooth.

The EOS 5D Mark II is the first digital EOS to offer recording of Full HD video in Live View Mode. Capable of shooting clips almost half an hour long at full 1080 resolution, the EOS 5D Mark II does amazing double duty, making it possible to shoot broadcast quality video on your camera by simply changing settings. Canon's DIGIC 4 Image Processor speeds up all operations, making a number of features such as Face Detection Live mode, HD video recording and lighting and lens peripheral optimization possible. The EOS 5D Mark II also offers full 14-bit A/D conversion resulting in significantly finer tonal gradation for better prints.

Canon has given the EOS 5D Mark II a sophisticated AF system consisting of 9 user-selectable AF points, along with a total of 6 additional vertical and horizontal AF assist points. The central AF point is cross-type, and is sensitive to vertical lines at an aperture of f/2.8, horizontal lines at f/5.6. The AF system is also sensitive to its light source, and can compensate for focus errors that can occur when multiple sources illuminate a scene. AF points can be chosen by the photographer using the 5D's multi-controller or preferred control dial. Plus, the EOS 5D features a dedicated AF ON button. Also, The EOS 5D Mark II has a rugged high performance 3.9 fps shutter designed to withstand 150,000 exposures. Combined with its impressive build quality, this shutter ensures that the EOS 5D Mark II will thrive in challenging shooting environments.

With the Live View Function on the EOS 5D Mark II, you can zoom in and navigate the composition 5x or 10x normal size. The Live View Function also makes videos in Full High-Definition. Shooting is at a frame rate of 30 fps. Sound is recorded either through the camera's built-in microphone or through an external microphone connected to the camera's microphone input terminal. Playback modes are available in the camera, and all Live View AF features can be used in shooting video.

The 3.0-inch Clear View LCD features a high-resolution of 920,000 dots/VGA for far more detail than any previous EOS Digital LCD. Anti-reflection and water-repellant coatings provide a clearer and more smudge-resistant surface and a light sensor mounted below the screen enables automatic brightness adjustment in accordance with ambient light.

Canon's Integrated Cleaning system includes a cleaning unit designed specifically for the EOS 5D Mark II's full-frame CMOS sensor. The camera's low-pass filter even has a fluorine coating upon its surface to help repel dust. The EOS 5D Mark II is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF lineup, ranging from ultra-wide angle to super telephoto lenses.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:40 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Canon 5D Mk II announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedYoung View Post

The EOS 5D Mark II features a huge, full-frame sensor. A 21.1-megapixel CMOS sensor delivers images of up to 5616 x 3744 pixels...
That's interesting, Ned, the Nikon D700 with the full-frame sensor has only 12.1 megapixels (4,256 x 2,832), virtually the same resolution as their smaller DX sensor. Of course each sensor in the array is much larger (8.45 microns), which Nikon says yields far superior collection of light and much less noise.

Obviously Canon believes that an array with more, but smaller pixels is better.

It would be interesting to see which approach actually yields better photos. And under what different circumstances.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:16 PM

John,

Go here
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-22-2008, 01:23 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

So you've already noticed the video capability of the camera Per. I was going to suggest you consider that instead of the camcorder so Bob can step into the 21st century holding something his hands are familiar with. He'd really dig it!
Old 09-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Very impressive, Per.

They say that the camera body is really the accessory and the lenses are the main equipment. But $25,000 in lenses? That's REALLY up in the big league.

Most experts say that the biggest advantage to the full frame digital cameras is their ability to collect more light (and better color) with incredibly little noise. I still think that future comparisons between the Canon full frame(with more smaller pixels) and the Nikon (with fewer, larger pixels) will show that each does a better job under different conditions.

As for the High Def video, looks like the Canon takes it hands down.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:15 PM

By the time I put enough beer money aside to to buy that Canon there will be a new model and I won't have the strength to push the button. Hmm, wonder what I could get for that 40mm Hasselblad wide angle that's gathering dust.
Bob
Old 09-29-2008, 09:50 PM

I've got a severe case of gadget lust, fueled by my 17-35/2.8F Canon lens that's effectively a 27-56 on my Canon D60. On the 5D that'd be back to a true wide-angle.

But I think I want an LS 130 EQ first, and maybe another CT22 and a Rotex so that both my sweety and I can be working on finishing at the same time...
Old 09-29-2008, 10:16 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Don't want to re-direct the thread but one vac can easily run two sanders .
Old 09-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLyke View Post

I've got a severe case of gadget lust, fueled by my 17-35/2.8F Canon lens that's effectively a 27-56 on my Canon D60. On the 5D that'd be back to a true wide-angle.

I just got a 17-35mm/f2.8 Nikkor for my D700. It's a very nice wide-angle for the full frame sensor.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:40 AM

Check out this video made with the Canon 5D Mk II
Vincent Laforet : photos : Reverie- powered by SmugMug