talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Photography and Video

Photography and Video Helping you take better photos and videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 02:43 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Canon 5D Mk II announced.

I was at a photo show Thursday and one exhibitor had the Canon perched on a huge video camera platform equipped with rods for lens and filter box support with a manual follow focus rig. It looked kinda silly but what the heck, it's an solid state HD camcorder.

Can you see the camera? Thanks for the links Ned.

Last edited by MichaelKellough; 10-29-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Founding Member

News flash! Suggested retail in the USA for the body is 2,699 USD, not 3,000 as reported earlier.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Founding Member

It just keeps getting better.

An interview with LaForet about using the 5D for video. The interview includes shots of a video rig based on the 5D2:

LaForet on the 5D2

More:

Rail mount and focus rigs made for Canon's EOS 5D Mark II - Digital Cameras - Crave - CNET Asia
Old 10-31-2008, 02:01 AM

Interesting thread from a couple of months ago. All the predictions appear to be true now that the 5D II camera has been "officially" released. It looks like the line between still and video cameras has been shattered once and for all.

On a related, but much less expensive note, I have been trying to decide which new camera system to purchase for the Southern Oregon Guild. It is time to replace the first generation SLR the Guild originally purchased several years ago. A number of the Guild members favor Canon but our budget does not reach beyond the 40/50D. Just before the announcement of the 50D the decision was made to purchase a 40D so I bought the 100mm 2.8 macro for the jewelry and smaller objects and the 17-40 4 L for studio work with larger items along with a 40D body. I returned the 40D body when the 50D was announced but have yet to purchase the 50D body.

I am a bit "stuck" since the Nikon 300 with it's seemingly better kit lens and a macro would be in the same price range as the Canon with these two first rate lenses. Do any of you have first hand experience with the Canon 50D and the Nikon D300 in terms of how easily artists might acclimate to learning how to use them effectively? I could use some help to make the decision whether to return/sell the unused Canon lenses and switch to the Nikon or stay with the Canon 50D. Thanks.

Jerry
Old 10-31-2008, 03:55 PM

The only real advantage of the 50D vs. the 40D is the new vga quality LCD screen. Image quality is not improved over the 40D, or the XSi for that matter. The 40D is actually a great deal now with the introduction of the 50D; 40D bodies can be had for approx. $900.

Unfortunately Canon fell prey to their own marketing forces and increased the pixel density to a staggering 15MP on an aps-c sized sensor. Even with their new gapless microlenses and other technological advances, you cant escape the inevitable result of a noisier sensor. Few if any lenses can provide enough resolution to take advantage of such a dense sensor. The point of diminishing returns on an aps-c sensor is about 10MP.

The Nikon 300 is a great camera if you want to go the Nikon route.

I would reconsider the 40D in light of the recent price drop. The 50D introduction is a perfect example of why its often silly to upgrade simply for the sake of upgrading.