talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Photography and Video

Photography and Video Helping you take better photos and videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 05:02 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default tF picture quality

I've gotten lazy and started importing pictures into my tF Album even when they are a bit over the 117k limit because the album says it will reduce them in size.

Now I've noticed that the pictures I let the tF Album reduce are distinctly fuzzy compared to the same pic reduced further in iPhoto before importing.

Compare these, the first was 136k and tF reduced it. The second was reduced in iPhoto to 116k prior to importing into tF Album.

Which looks clearer and more detailed?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-05-2008, 05:38 AM

Default Re: tF picture quality

Netflix
Old 09-05-2008, 05:42 AM

Hi,

The bottom one. I thinkthe tF software says something about reducing them yourself may give better results. Guess so!

Come on Michael we all know the real reason for this post is because you want someone to ask about the guard tower. So whats it for?

Seth
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

I thought he was building his own submarine! You know - with Alvin out of commission and all...

P.S. Thanks for pointing this out. When I reduce my picture size (on my mac) I use Graphic Converter and use batch mode ("Convert") and save them as jpg resized to a particular file size. Seems to work fairly well, and I don't have to do much...
Old 09-05-2008, 01:31 PM

Sooooooooooo
Old 09-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post

Now I've noticed that the pictures I let the tF Album reduce are distinctly fuzzy compared to the same pic reduced further in iPhoto before importing.

Michael, I think it's always best to prepare your own photos before uploading. Doing the work yourself gives you better control.

Reducing the size of a digital photo will always also reduce the sharpness to some extent. How much depends on the quality of the original and how much you reduce it. This can be compensated for by adding some sharpness back in your photo editing software. This should be the very last step in your process.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:34 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRSemenza View Post
Hi,

The bottom one. I thinkthe tF software says something about reducing them yourself may give better results. Guess so!

Come on Michael we all know the real reason for this post is because you want someone to ask about the guard tower. So whats it for?

Seth
Seth, I was thinking of you when making this post. No offense but most of your pics are so soft I've been wondering if you'd gotten overspray on the lens Either that or your shooting closer than the camera can focus or poor compression or a combination of the above. What's the story?

That thing is a "control tower" for a crazy "sci fi black dramadey".

Peter, thanks for the Graphic Converter suggestion.

Sinking this thing is a funny idea. It's full of holes so it won't implode. I like imagining it getting smushed to paper thin walls, UL MedDF into HighDF. But, since it's porous and water would get into the core would that prevent it from thinning?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Founding Member

Gentle Mints,

I need to check into this. I'll get back to you.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post
Gentle Mints,

I need to check into this. I'll get back to you.

Regards,

Dan.
It happens because the algorithm used for the downsampling is not as powerful as a true editing system. The same is true for most non-photo editing software (like word processors, etc.).

If you downsample from 300dpi to 150dpi, the conversion isn't so bad because it just merges four pixels into one. However, if you were downsampling from 300dpi to 200dpi, then it gets more complicated because it is not an even division of pixels.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Sinking this thing is a funny idea. It's full of holes so it won't implode. I like imagining it getting smushed to paper thin walls, UL MedDF into HighDF. But, since it's porous and water would get into the core would that prevent it from thinning?
Your tower wouldn't implode or compress if it filled with water faster than it sank. Water is basically imcompressible, so once it fills all the voids there won't be a problem. Unless you have lungs and have to breathe or anything...