talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Photography and Video

Photography and Video Helping you take better photos and videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Work Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaccord View Post

Of course, you have to have some very good hardware to run it!
How good of hardware are we talking about? I have two older computers (the older of the two runs windows 95). So what would be some good hardware for a digital darkroom?

Tom.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvgordon View Post

How good of hardware are we talking about?

Tom, Aperture 2 is Apple's knockoff of Lightroom 2, so I think using it would require that you move over to the dark side.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvgordon View Post

So what would be some good hardware for a digital darkroom?

I'm running a 2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Quad Processor with 4 gig of ram.

XP Pro.

It seems to handle everything I can throw at it.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:26 PM

Hi John,

Just to keep the record straight, Apple's Aperture was developed and released more than a year ahead of Adobe's Lightroom. Both have been through a major redo as version 2 based on feedback from the pro photographer users. I have used and like both versions but find Aperture faster and more intuitive for my use.

[No need for any Mac vs Windows rant stuff here as that ball game ended with the introduction of the Intel core duo based Macs that can run both OSs native mode at the same time so you can switch back and forth at will even dragging and dropping between Mac and Windows applications.]

I keep a studio digital camera (Leica Digilux 3 in my case) on a tripod with wheels in my studio all the time so as I am building a piece of furniture that involves some interesting construction features I can quickly take a number of photos during construction. When the piece is completed I set up the backdrops and studio strobe lights and do the "formal" shots. I shoot everything in RAW mode.

All the lighting in my studio is 5000 to 5500 degree Kelvin video cool lights which is the same color as the on-camera flash, the hot shoe mounted flash and the studio strobes so I don't need to change the white balance on the camera between the in-studio and the formal shots. I use light boxes on the studio strobes and a light diffuser on the hot shoe mounted flash to reduce the contrast and soften the effects of the flash light. I find I can see the machining operations much more clearly under that color of light. I do use 4000 degree Kelvin halogen lights in the gallery and over the lumber selection tables as that is closer to what my customers have in their homes so I see grain and color more like they will.

I then import the photos into a new project folder created in Aperture 2.1. I sort and rate the photos based on composition and how well they show the details I will use later in writing about the piece and/or the construction techniques. I really like the stack feature that allows multiple shots of the same basic scene to be stacked one on top of the other in the order of your preference. That clears up a lot of otherwise confusing same scene shots that can clutter the light table. Once I have the "good" separated from the "ho hum" shots, I then do whatever digital manipulation I need to prep the shots for their intended use. In Aperture all the editing is non-destructive so your original is never touched. On the rare occasion where I need to use PS for some reason, Aperture allows you to open another ap while still inside Aperture and do that special editing stuff without ever leaving the Aperture environment. It is just like PS is a "plug in" for Aperture.

I also really like the fact that the application I use for writing manuals and books (Apple's Pages) and the application I use for web design (Apple's iWeb) are tightly integrated with Aperture so I can drag and drop photos into the formatted text of either ap without having to resize or scale them - Pages and iWeb do all that work behind the scenes.

For books and manuals I save each completed chapter as its own document as a .pdf file. From there I open Adobe Acrobat Professional, link the chapters together into one .pdf file and save two versions. One version is saved at full size which can be quite large as Pages brings a copy of the full size photos along in case you want to resize them relative to the formatted text later.

The other copy is compressed by Acrobat to be as small as what will render properly at full page size. That is the version that gets released to the sponsor or to the tutorials section of my web site. Those two versions, along with the completed chapter Pages format files are saved together as the Master Release Version that is also archived off- machine on CDs or DVDs. When the piece is edited in some way it gets a new release number and is saved in total the same way so I always have a complete record of everything necessary to recreate any document at any release level in the event of a major failure down stream.

I can do much the same using version 2 of Lightroom since it also uses non-destructive editing but it is not as tightly integrated with the other applications I use so it is not as fast or intuitive for me at least.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Tom, Aperture 2 is Apple's knockoff of Lightroom 2, so I think using it would require that you move over to the dark side.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Jerry, thank you for such an interesting explanation of your workflow. Even as a hobbyist, I can take something from the process you've so carefully developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryWork View Post

Just to keep the record straight, Apple's Aperture was developed and released more than a year ahead of Adobe's Lightroom. Both have been through a major redo as version 2 based on feedback from the pro photographer users. I have used and like both versions but find Aperture faster and more intuitive for my use.

[No need for any Mac vs Windows rant stuff here as that ball game ended with the introduction of the Intel core duo based Macs that can run both OSs native mode at the same time so you can switch back and forth at will even dragging and dropping between Mac and Windows applications.]

Of course you're right, Jerry, Aperture did come first. I just coudn't resist tossing in a little jab there.

You see, the Apple vs Windows thing still rages for me personally. My daughter (now 27) was raised on Windows machines, and they served her well all the way through college. Then she met a guy who worked for Apple Computer (here in L.A.). When they got married, she took everything we ever gave her from the house, including her furniture. That is, everything but her PC. She said: "Sorry, daddy I'm a Mac girl now. Oh the pain!

To make matters worse, he got promoted, and now works at Apple headquarters in Cupertino. And that is where they moved.

Not only did I lose my daughter, it had to be to a "Mac guy".
Old 08-20-2008, 10:41 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post

Not only did I lose my daughter, it had to be to a "Mac guy".
Didn't you want her to marry up?
Old 08-21-2008, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Workflow

From a Mac person:
Old 08-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post

Didn't you want her to marry up?

Actually, she did marry a good man, and I should be thankful for that.

But I see it as one of life's great ironies that she didn't just marry a guy that uses Macs, but THE Mac guy of all time. This guy lives and breathes for the Apple Computer Company. Their house is full of every Apple product you can imagine, and many you that can't.

On the upside, being an absolute geek, I don't think he could turn on a power tool without hurting himself, and needs my help for any project they get into. Although the drive from L.A. to Cupertino can get a little tedious.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post
The main reason that I got LR was the PSE6 photo management library kept corrupting. This has been reported by multiple users. I suspect it's related to large libraries (I have 15,000 images).

Regards,

Dan.
I followed your lead, Dan, and am now in the Lightroom camp. Fortunately, I switched before my PSE6 got corrupted, so the changeover was real easy. It is a much better thought out product than PSE6 (instead of an afterthought), with a quick install, and small footprint.