Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Photography and Video

Photography and Video Helping you take better photos and videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Lighting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post

Got a Super 8 for sale. It'll save you a bunch 'cause it comes with lots of tapes.
No thanks, those tapes won't work in my Betamax.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
I actually have quite a Harbor Freight collection, all of them being jacks or hoists.

I don't know why, I just feel more comfortable lifting things over my head when I know they're supported by something from Harbor Freight.

I was looking for a good supplier of jacks and hoists. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:39 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

For some reason this end of the thread reminds me of Shakespeare's line, "Hoisted by his own petard".
Actually it was "Hoist with his own petar" but never mind.

Illustration of a petard from "Sketchbook on military art, including geometry, fortifications, artillery, mechanics, and pyrotechnics"

"By securing the device firmly to the gate, the shape of the device allows the concussive pressure of the blast to be applied entirely towards the destruction of the gate. Depending on design, a petard could be secured by propping it against the gate using beams as illustrated, or nailing it in place by way of a wooden board fixed to the end of the petard in advance.[2]

In medieval and Renaissance siege warfare, a common tactic was to dig a shallow trench close to the enemy gate, and then erect a small hoisting engine that would lift the lit petard out of the trench, swing it up, out, and over to the gate, where it would detonate and hopefully breach the gate.[citation needed] This procedure might go awry; the engineer lighting the bomb could be snagged in the ropes, lifted out with the petard, and consequently blown up.[citation needed]"

Which reminds me of the present day and a bunch of "short sighted narrow minded hypocrites" sitting on a tea cup full of gun powder. Hope they had a blast and enjoyed their ride.

Last edited by MichaelKellough; 08-08-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Hmm, kinda looks like they could just walk around the side of the fence to the right...

Or, if they didn't drink so much mead, they could scale the massive... 4 foot fence.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

But the fence is pointy, Paul-Marcel!