talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Photography and Video

Photography and Video Helping you take better photos and videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 04:28 PM

Default Festool TV

I wanted to let all of you know that there is now a YouTube channel for Festool Videos on the internet. This was announced at the FOG, but I thought that it might be of interest to my friends here also.

To visit: Festool TV

Anyone can view. You must join YouTube and be a member of the group to post a video. Festool has put some of their videos out there. Any videos remain the property of the original posters.

The hope is that it will become a centralized location for Festool tool videos from any and every one.

Peter
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Festool TV

Great idea, Peter!

Thanks for posting about it here.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Founding Member

Peter,

This is an excellent idea!

A lot of our interests involve processes - how to build things and how to use tools to build things. Especially with processes, a picture can be a thousand words, but a video... It can be worth a thousand pictures!

The benefits of video are pretty well known, but in the past there were lots of roadblocks. Distributing a video was main roadblock. Then along came YouTube (and Vimeo and lots of others). Now distribution is easy.

But we've had other challenges - the biggest were taking and post-processing a decent video. And then along came small, light MiniDV camcorders and decent computers. The video images were nice, but many times the audio was weak, and the editing process was slow and tedious (capturing video to the PC, storing it, blah, blah). And editing videos takes a lot of computing horsepower and soak up lots of disk space.

But now we're in 2010 and things changing quickly...

First, cameras like the Panasonic GH1 and GF1 (discussions: Panasonic GH1 and The Benefits of Insomnia and Panasonic GF1 ultra compact D nonSLR Review), the Olumpus EP1/2, and a whole host of DSLRs like the Canon 5D and 7D are making it much easier to create high-quality HD videos. These cameras have large sensors compared to the typical consumer and prosumer video cameras, which means good low-light sensitivity, shallow depth of field, and high quality. They use solid state media which means that it's easy and fast to copy the video files to your PC or Mac for editing. And solid state media capacity is growing quickly and prices are dropping. Most importantly, all of these cameras take great still pictures. We've entered the era of combo-cams - do-all cameras which do a very good job in the still and video arena!

Next is audio. Capturing good audio used to be difficult. Now it's much easier. All of these cameras have built in microphones and the GH1 has an optional shotgun mic. And you can use external shotgun mics with all of these cameras. There are all sorts of other audio accessories and recorders (I have a Zoom H2 digital recorder) available now that can give you excellent audio.

Now add in the recent availability of relatively inexpensive, high performance PCs and Macs with huge hard disks. In the last three days, I built up my own PC with an Intel Core I7-920 CPU over-clocked to 3.8Ghz, 12Gb of memory, and 7TB of disk space (including a 4TB Raid 0 array). I should be able to easily edit almost any video media including high-bit rate AVCHD.

What we're seeing is a convergence of multiple technologies and products that will make it easier and easier to create good quality videos at a reasonable cost. I expect to see the amount of video content to go up drastically in the next 12 months. That's why I'm excited to see the Festool Channel - a single place where current and prospective Festool users can get high quality info about Festool products and how to use them!

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. I'll post my (humble) Kapex "sticktion" video into the Festool Channel later today.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:47 PM

Dan,

Your are being modest when you called your video modest. It will shine on the channel

The intent of this channel is to share information. As you said, we all read text. Pictures illustrate some things better. Video can expand on this.

Videos don't have to be masterpieces. They are indeed a reflection of the poster however. Polish level is up to the creator. Laurie could win a "Festoolie" for polish but John could submit one filmed by candlelight before his shop is electrified . John, just kidding - I know that you have lights.

Videos will probably be shot with all sorts of cameras from the "Flip" types to Iphones to the high end.

What isn't wanted are videos showing unsafe or dangerous procedures. These videos hopefully will help others learn those things that all of us have learned and posted when and if we can stay on topic . Yes I'm making fun of myself here also.

Visit if you wish. Post if you wish. Use it a resource or just entertainment. Open to all.

Enjoy!!

Peter

Last edited by plhalle; 02-07-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Administrator

The discussion on video quality has me wondering, does YouTube have file size limits?
Old 02-07-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
The discussion on video quality has me wondering, does YouTube have file size limits?

Yes they do. They will also chop down the resolution by quite a bit... Very frustrating. But overall Youtube is very easy to work with!

As for taking videos:
Even though I took a few in the last little while, I don't think they are "educational enough" for the festool channel. Guess I have to learn how to edit and be more creative while recording :tigersmile:

Anyhow, thanks for setting up Festool TV!

Old 02-07-2010, 07:33 PM

John,

I don't believe that they have file size limits, but they are limited to 10 minutes or less in length. The max HD resolution is 720.

Large files do take quite a long time to process and upload. Then YouTube does their stuff.

Eco - Your videos would be fine. For instance, your video on trimming edgebanding showed how quick it is. Editing isn't required. Most of mine dealing with vacuum jigs have been unedited and I am comfortable with that.

For example - this video of mine to show my brothers my spawning clownfish only had transitions, titles, and captions stuck in along with stripping the audio away. I could have spent - and probably should have- time to edit it more, but it showed what I wanted to show.

Oops. I didn't realize that if I posted a link to Youtube it would automatically embed. Sorry. That was not my intent.

Peter
Old 02-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Founding Member

John,

Here are some YouTube specs:
  • Capture and Upload in High Definition!
  • Upload up to 10 videos at a time
  • Best video formats for YouTube
  • Up to 2 GB in size.
  • Up to 10 minutes in length.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plhalle View Post
John,

I don't believe that they have file size limits, but they are limited to 10 minutes or less in length. The max HD resolution is 720.

Large files do take quite a long time to process and upload. Then YouTube does their stuff.

Eco - Your videos would be fine. For instance, your video on trimming edgebanding showed how quick it is. Editing isn't required. Most of mine dealing with vacuum jigs have been unedited and I am comfortable with that.

For example - this video of mine Fruits of their Loveto show my brothers my spawning clownfish only had transitions, titles, and captions stuck in along with stripping the audio away. I could have spent - and probably should have- time to edit it more, but it showed what I wanted to show.

Oops. I didn't realize that if I posted a link to Youtube it would automatically embed. Sorry. That was not my intent.

Peter
Peter,

Nice video!

IMO, embedded video is much better. From a TF systems perspective, it's just a link with virtually no disk storage impact at all. Behind the scenes, here's what the link looks like:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZVbDXfWEBQ"]Fruits of their Love[/ame]

No problem at all!

Regarding your point about quick and easy videos from simple Flip cameras and iPhones on up, I agree 100%. Quality content is the issue. Even video from a camera phone can be quite decent and is definitely much better than no video at all. These days, you can start simple and move up the all the way to pro-quality video with the tools available to the average person. IMO, "content" is where it's at and content is nothing more than knowledge shared with others in a format that they can understand. Or, to use another metaphor, "Jump in! The water's fine!!!"

Regards,

Dan.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Dan.

Up to 2 Gig per file, can you imagine the total storage capacity at YouTube?