talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Photography and Video

Photography and Video Helping you take better photos and videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Bigshots...it's all who you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Cool that it does 3D pics (with the special glasses). I'd love to try that feature!
Poto,

My brother (Dr. Halle) while at MIT played with 3d photos and has a designated setup for taking digital 3d. He was actually taking photos in a Ben & Jerry's store and Ben & Jerry came in. Curiousity resulted in a discussion and he ended up sending them several samples of his work. I think that ice cream was involved.

He, like you is brilliant in his field. Ask and I'll tell what little I understand. And to tie into a previous post somewhere here, he did look at Heathkit catalogs, and did play around with Radio Shack electronic kits.

Peter
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

Actually, the robot guy from California is from New York. And proud of it! His son is at NYU studying film (and apparently doing brilliantly!).
Old 11-18-2009, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plhalle View Post
Poto,

My brother (Dr. Halle) while at MIT played with 3d photos and has a designated setup for taking digital 3d. He was actually taking photos in a Ben & Jerry's store and Ben & Jerry came in. Curiousity resulted in a discussion and he ended up sending them several samples of his work. I think that ice cream was involved.

He, like you is brilliant in his field. Ask and I'll tell what little I understand. And to tie into a previous post somewhere here, he did look at Heathkit catalogs, and did play around with Radio Shack electronic kits.

Peter
Whoa! Flattery will get you everywhere! But ... geez.

A friend gave us a book called "Phantograms", which are 3D images that are really REALLY 3D. Roger has a couple of their books. Just amazing stuff. I believe there's a web site that shows you how to do them with a couple of digital cameras and photoshop. Someday I'm gonna try...

P.S. I grew up with a Heathkit tube-driven Hi Fi. Mono.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Whoa! Flattery will get you everywhere! But ... geez.

A friend gave us a book called "Phantograms", which are 3D images that are really REALLY 3D. Roger has a couple of their books. Just amazing stuff. I believe there's a web site that shows you how to do them with a couple of digital cameras and photoshop. Someday I'm gonna try...

P.S. I grew up with a Heathkit tube-driven Hi Fi. Mono.
Poto,

I'll try and get you some website links from my brother. The technology for what you talked about is interesting. First you have to have two digital cameras on a holder. There are a few manufacturers of cameras who offer a lens on the left model and a lens on the right camera. The center of the lenses on the holder are spaced equivalent to the distance between pupils of the average person. The shutters have to be triggered at the same time. Then the pictures can be printed...

Michael did this as a hobby. His claim to fame was developing the software that would take the information obtained from MRI's and catscans and manipulating that so that it could be used to create a hologram. This allows surgeons to view a virtually 3d xray prior to surgery so that they get an idea of the mass of a tumor or planning their surgery to avoid obstacles.

As you can guess he could have been very wealthy. Instead, he put the technology out in the public domain.

Keep taking pictures and sharing them here. Maybe you will be the first to post a 3-D photo. Then we will have to buy our glasses from Rick.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Here are some links on the phantograms. I don't think they're too complicated (Michael and Bob could probably do them in their sleep).

Home Page

PHANTOGRAMS

Dan's Website

I think the first one is the guy who did the book I have.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your brother, Peter. Sounds like a man after my own heart. Smart and poor.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Here are some links on the phantograms. I don't think they're too complicated (Michael and Bob could probably do them in their sleep).

Home Page

PHANTOGRAMS

Dan's Website

I think the first one is the guy who did the book I have.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your brother, Peter. Sounds like a man after my own heart. Smart and poor.

Poto,

I never said poor. Heart in the right place though.

Director of surgery pre-planning Brigham & Women's Hospital - Boston. Radiology Instructor Harvard. Married to a fellow MIT person - also 3 degrees MIT- senior programmer Google.

I'll send him an email and ask about links.

Peter
Old 11-18-2009, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

I take that back, then. He sounds like he works too hard!

That's a lot of MIT degrees between them. Must be hard on the kids. Poor Gillian has to deal with two PhDs bossing her around. Tough life...
Old 11-18-2009, 08:03 PM

That's funny too. My brother went to NYU film school. Now he's in LA doing the writer/ director thing. Pretty good too. Won best director at Sundance for this, if anybody's interested.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations to your brother, Craig. I recall seeing a trailer for that movie some time ago - can't remember where. Wonderful topic, an great realization of an amazing story.

I'm sure your brother and Jules' son have some of the same teachers. What an enriching place to be learning!
Old 11-25-2009, 08:30 PM

The pictures are up if anyone's interested. What a great experience. The girls had a blast. Building the cameras in the morning and then taking pictures at Grant's tomb. My girls are in the bottom group.