talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Photography and Video

Photography and Video Helping you take better photos and videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 06:38 PM

Default Re: The Light at the End of the Tunnel Won’t be a Strobe

The Kennedy Saga
We were running along side the limo. Jack was waving, Jackie just smiled, perpetually cool,.drums beating to our pace. Mark yelled over the music “cover me”, I didn't like it when he asked , I did not want to compete. Hot, hot, hot, we ended up in the sticky basement of a church. Any body who was any body in town was there, plus the invading press. Lunch was meat, mashed potatoes and caned string beans, hot mashed potatoes and gravy. hot, hot, I tell you, radiating up from the table.
The future first lady was delightful and articulate, she didn't like being in the political spot light. In public she smiled, nodded her head, said yes or no but not much else. She projected a calm and cool image in the incredible heat. Dressed in pastel colors she was like an oasis amongst the stratified cigar smoke and dingy colors of the politicians. Oblivious to her surroundings, she stood, smelling a long stem rose. I was about to photograph her when I realized how great a shot it was. I taped Mark on the shoulder, he turned, looked and click. How I hated to be a team player.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a copy of the picture we could see?
Old 10-26-2009, 09:22 PM

I looked all over for it. I know life has it and perhaps his son Peter, but it is not on the web. I will keep looking.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:36 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSwenson View Post
The Kennedy Saga
We were running along side the limo. Jack was waving, Jackie just smiled, perpetually cool,.drums beating to our pace. Mark yelled over the music “cover me”, I didn't like it when he asked , I did not want to compete. Hot, hot, hot, we ended up in the sticky basement of a church. Any body who was any body in town was there, plus the invading press. Lunch was meat, mashed potatoes and caned string beans, hot mashed potatoes and gravy. hot, hot, I tell you, radiating up from the table.
The future first lady was delightful and articulate, she didn't like being in the political spot light. In public she smiled, nodded her head, said yes or no but not much else. She projected a calm and cool image in the incredible heat. Dressed in pastel colors she was like an oasis amongst the stratified cigar smoke and dingy colors of the politicians. Oblivious to her surroundings, she stood, smelling a long stem rose. I was about to photograph her when I realized how great a shot it was. I taped Mark on the shoulder, he turned, looked and click. How I hated to be a team player.
Although only in elementary school and I was in awe of her too.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:48 PM

Location: 41°N 79°W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Same here.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:54 AM
Founding Member

I was in awe of Sophia Loren, but not entirely sure why.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:07 AM

Location: 41°N 79°W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedYoung View Post
I was in awe of Sophia Loren, but not entirely sure why.
I can't think about Sophia without thinking of Gina Lollobrigida...:sdrool:
Old 12-07-2009, 10:38 PM

I'm a little late joining and or reviving this thread but i wanted to add some things.

Strobe being replaced by continous light maybe but not likely, The reason being that in order to achieve stop motion effects (like in the attached pic) you need a LOT of continous light in order to freeze someting while still using a reasonable f stop setting to attain the desired depth of field. Of course if the chips in the cameras evolve and let you set ever higher isos whilst remaining noise free that could be a possibility.

Anyway it is a useless discussion IMHO because just like in woodworking or any profession for that matter it's all about selecting the right tool for the job. I use continous lighting when i want a very shallow depth of field because i find it too much of a hassle to stop down the strobes enough to achieve the desired effect. I use the strobes modelling lights if that is what works. It's not about the equipement, its about the image you have in mind and frankly when the image is there and it's good no one cares about how it's been made. I know i dont. The photographer makes the shot not the equipement.

Light painting is perfectly possible with digital cameras. Any decent digital slr has a B or Bulb mode. This allows you raise the mirror and open the shutter for an indefinite amount of time. I use this for lets say an appliance with an LED display. I have one of these little "light guns" with very small fiberglass extensions that lets you add light to areas where no light, strobe or continuous can go. Same B mode works for shots like multiple lightning bolts, fireworks etc.

For me photography (recording the image) has not changed much. It is still like Bob said all about composition and lighting. Just ask yourself what would you rather do: spend three hours on lighting, one hour shooting and 30 min on post. Or spend 30 min on lighting, 3 min on shooting and 10 hours on post? IMO your shot should be 90 percent spot on and the rest can be enhanced not the other way round

What did change, and i'm glad it did, is the darkroom part. No more smelly chemicals, funny shaped cardboard masks for dodging or burning. No more rash on my hands cause i always fished the prints out of the chemicals with my fingers LOL. All this post pro is now in a neat little box on my desk. And that saves me a LOT of time.

One thing i dont like about the neat little box on my desk: It can make really bad shots look not all that bad. Thus lowering the standards for what is an good image. The more people that are confronted with subpar computer polished images the more these become the standard.

Just some thoughts, sorry for the long post
Attached Thumbnails
light-end-tunnel-won-t-strobe-a06.jpg  
Old 12-07-2009, 11:00 PM

[QUOTE=johne;41160..... I have one of these little "light guns" with very small fiberglass extensions that lets you add light to areas where no light, strobe or continuous can go.....[/QUOTE]

Hi Johne,

Can you elaborate? Are you talking about one of those fiber optic light painting gizmos or something different?

Thanks
Scott W.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Hi Johne,

Can you elaborate? Are you talking about one of those fiber optic light painting gizmos or something different?

Thanks
Scott W.
Hi scottw

It is one of those fiber optic gizmos like you said. I bought that like maybe 20 years ago. It allows you to do lots of weird lighting. It's trial and error and takes some experience to make it work and a lot of film . It was a bit of a trendy thing back then. It has all these little accesories, softboxes, fiberglass tubes etc all very small. Fun to play with. I started using it with digital lately and that works nicely because in stills you can easily sandwich good parts from different images. You could use any light source BTW, LED torch, normal torch, halogen construction lights for larger areas etc.