talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Photography and Video

Photography and Video Helping you take better photos and videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: The Light at the End of the Tunnel Wont be a Strobe

Ned? Why would Ned have any special say in this? Oh wait, I started the thread.

Heck Bob, if I'd known it would get these stories out of you, I would have posted the first post even more quickly, specifically as Bob bait.

I'm another avid fan. Please continue.

Ned
Old 10-24-2009, 04:13 PM

Thanks Ned.
The Kennedy Saga
Life Magazine had the money and smarts to assign Photographers to cover all the possible candidates for president. Mark was was an independent supplier to Life, mostly did fashion, when they assigned him to cover JFK. He didn't know it at the time but it was the best thing that ever happened to him.
He did a few weekend sessions in Hyannis port on his own before I started to assist him. He never asked me to work weekends unless we were on location.
We flew into Ohio to meet Jackie where we all climbed into a twin engine twelve passenger plane of some sort to fly to West Virginia to join Jack in a parade up the main street in a nameless town.
We sat on the tarmac waiting for clearance as the plane got hotter and hotter in the sun.
Mark was in the cockpit sitting in the copilots seat when the pilot got up and left the plane. Mark followed him and I followed mark. Mark was a WWII cargo pilot and owned a Cessna 310 so he knew what the pilot was doing. He whispered to me that the Omni was out and the radio didn't work, but the radio compass was OK. He was calling the tower on the phone to see if they would clear us for takeoff with the signal light. This was scary because this was a very busy airport, big jets constantly landing and taking off. And the future fist lady calmly sitting there on the sweltering plane looking as cool as a cucumber, oblivious to what was going on. What a way to start a political campaign.

To be continued,
Bob

Next--- Photography.--- The circle of confusion.

Please Google some of the names that I mention, Like the delightful Herbert Matter .
One day in Studio Associates while tasting a new wine the studio president, Jaffe, said please enjoy this wine when I am away on vacation.
Herbert replied, “Ya, we well enjoy ourselves while your away on our vacation”
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-24-2009, 06:59 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Bob, you have my attention (as usual) on this story. In one of my past lives I was a military (FAA certified) tower controller and remember having and occasionally using the red/green/white signal light gun that hung suspended from the tower ceiling in wait of dead radios. It had gun sights on it's top so you could align the signal with the intended aircraft.
You are bringing back memories for all of us, now, back to your story...

Last edited by RONWEN; 10-24-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-24-2009, 07:07 PM

The Circle of Confusion

The circle of confusion is that out of focus point of light that that shows up in in your photos in different sizes depending on how far and out off focus it is. Most photographers think it is round because the source is a point of light. This is not true. It's round because the lens and the diaphragm are round . If the diaphragm were square the circle of confusion would be square. Now that is confusion.

As an assistant I did most of the work in setting up a shot. Mark told me to set up a head shot and that the client wanted a sparkling background. I set up all the lights and used a background of crinkled gold foil. Unbeknown to mark I had replaced the diaphragm with a piece of black paper folded and cut with an eight sided star. Mark arrived late with the client. He asked me if all was ready. The model was in place and every thing was in focus. He ducked under the focusing cloth on the 8 x 10 camera and didn't move for the longest time. What he saw was a beautiful model surrounded by hundreds of eight sided gold diamonds of all sizes. Out from under the focusing cloth he looked at me, smiled, than asked the client if he would like to see. All the client said was WOW.

I have used this trick many times, you might want to try it.

I will try to put some samples together of what I call the beauty lighting.
It's not a particular light but a simple lighting technique that will put you well on the way to doing beautiful portraits. You can even use continuous ambient light. love that concept, continuous light.

Bob

Old 10-24-2009, 08:44 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

"Unbeknown to mark I had replaced the diaphragm with a piece of black paper folded and cut with an eight sided star.

Another brilliant idea!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:33 PM

Thank you Michael, Over the years I did many things that people thought were odd. When I needed to photograph large interiors and didn't have enough lighting I would fill my pockets with flash bulbs and run around firing them where I thought they they were needed while the camera sat on a tripod with the lens open. Hard to do with today's digital cameras.
I did color interiors with that famous continuous ambient light. I balanced the color of the light with a color meter and filters. The light and dark areas by using black dodgers in reverse of the darkroom printing technique. With the lens stopped way down I had time to even out the existing light. They said, you can't do that but I did.
This is kind of fun reminiscing, I hope I am not boring everyone.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Founding Member

Bob,

You are a pro woodworker and were a pro photographer of some renown. Please... Take as long as you want, whenever you want, on whatever topic you wish to delve into. I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Dan.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

I love this stuff!
Old 10-25-2009, 01:41 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

We are loving every word, please continue.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:15 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSwenson View Post
Thank you Michael, Over the years I did many things that people thought were odd. When I needed to photograph large interiors and didn't have enough lighting I would fill my pockets with flash bulbs and run around firing them where I thought they they were needed while the camera sat on a tripod with the lens open. Hard to do with today's digital cameras.
I did color interiors with that famous continuous ambient light. I balanced the color of the light with a color meter and filters. The light and dark areas by using black dodgers in reverse of the darkroom printing technique. With the lens stopped way down I had time to even out the existing light. They said, you can't do that but I did.
This is kind of fun reminiscing, I hope I am not boring everyone.
I've done the painting with light trick with strobes using film and never realized until now it can't be done with digital. Although you can merge the properly lit portions of different photos together to get the complete shot in the computer.

I've used various forms of scrims and diffusion to diminish light where it was too bright but I've never tried to dodge the light while taking the photograph. Very cool.

Please continue to share your stories.