Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Photography and Video

Photography and Video Helping you take better photos and videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 04:45 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Panasonic GH1 and The Benefits of Insomnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by immunoboy View Post
John ... we got a Canon Powershot SD 1100 IS. It is a 8 MP P&S. We got a really good deal at our local Costco (under $200 with a 4 GB memory card). I often just pop it into a pocket and it is perfect for those unexpected moment shots. In fact, I recently got a decent picture of my nephew in a dentist's chair (my father-in-law's).

As for iPhones ... hmmm I will just wait until something more appropriate comes out. They are not supported at work, so crackberry it is. I must be the last person on the planet who dislikes Mac, even though I was once a fanatic.
That link above isn't about a phone...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-08-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I must be the last person on the planet who dislikes Mac, even though I was once a fanatic.
You're not the only one. Apple - you can buy better but you can't pay more!

Seriously, I have had nothing but bad experiences with Apple products. I admire their engineering and creativity, but they are overpriced and in my case were very unreliable. Not trying start a "religious war" here, but my experience with Apple products has not been good at all.

Fred
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Administrator

What about this camera? (Not yet released)

Sony CMOS Cyber-shotSony CMOS Cyber-shot
Old 08-08-2009, 02:15 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post

Sony CMOS Cyber-shot
Yeah, what a crazy idea that is, directly exposing the diodes
instead of first passing the light through the circuit board.
What were they thinking?
Old 08-08-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:

Sony CMOS Cyber-shot
John,

My persistent use of Canons is just habit (my parents did). My sister-in-law is very happy with her Sony. In addition, a 4x optical zoom with a Zeiss lens sounds good to me. I have always been impressed with Zeiss glass and although they demand a premium price (sounds like a certain line of tools), they are well worth it. I have over the years purchased expensive laboratory imaging setups that use Zeiss lenses and always been pleased.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruegf View Post
You're not the only one. Apple - you can buy better but you can't pay more!

Seriously, I have had nothing but bad experiences with Apple products. I admire their engineering and creativity, but they are overpriced and in my case were very unreliable. Not trying start a "religious war" here, but my experience with Apple products has not been good at all.

Fred

You are going to get me started ... Too late.

I started out with an Apple II in the 80s and continued to buy their products. It was during my undergraduate that I saved and saved to buy a newer Mac for almost three times the price of a PC I could have assembled myself. But, I trusted the name and quality so it was worthwhile. This Mac stopped working in two years, just after the warranty ran out. The Mac folks had the cheek to say it would be best if I just bought a new system. I switched to PC and never looked back.

I fundamentally disagree with a "throw away" society mentality, and companies like Apple have helped make this an expectation in today's consumer. My iRiver mp3 player is now five years old. It came with a 20Gb hard drive and color screen back then. It has had multiple codec upgrades that I have downloaded and installed myself. I can watch a movie on there (not that I really want to watch a movie on a miniscule screen). Just because something has a cool color does not mean I'm going to upgrade. I'll leave that to the teeny boppers.

That being said, I still respect their marketing skills and ability to innovate. I would consider the iphone if the phone quality was better, I could stay with Verizon, work supported email on it AND I did not have to buy a new iPhone every two years.

/End rant
Old 08-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
John,

My persistent use of Canons is just habit (my parents did). My sister-in-law is very happy with her Sony. In addition, a 4x optical zoom with a Zeiss lens sounds good to me. I have always been impressed with Zeiss glass and although they demand a premium price (sounds like a certain line of tools), they are well worth it. I have over the years purchased expensive laboratory imaging setups that use Zeiss lenses and always been pleased.
My current point and shoot is a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 ( the first Cyber-shot, I think). It's a 5.1 megapixel, and takes pretty good pics. In fact, almost every photo I've posted on this forum was taken with it.

But it's still a little large for carrying around in my pocket, I'm looking for something smaller yet.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:

That being said, I still respect their marketing skills and ability to innovate. I would consider the iphone if the phone quality was better, I could stay with Verizon, work supported email on it AND I did not have to buy a new iPhone every two years.
I've had a chance to play with an iPhone quite a bit, one loaded with every app you can imagine. I found it too small to use for most of the stuff set up on it, although my daughter and son-in-law seem to be very good at using their iPhones for just about everything.

My cell phone only needs to be good at a few things, making calls, bluetooth voice dialing, and synching with my Outlook. Everything else is what a laptop or desktop is for.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
This Mac stopped working in two years, just after the warranty ran out.
/End rant
That was my experience with the first photo iPod. Useless for photos, locked up periodically, price dropped significantly right after I bought it which wasn't long after it was introduced, was discontinued not long after that, and died after 2 years.

Photos were copied onto the device 3 times, one as a thumbnail, one sized for the iPod screen and one sized for display on a TV. Not one of them turned out to be original size so it was worthless as a digital wallet. The engineer that dreamed up that scheme should be publically flogged and then shot for being completely incompetent. Just a complete piece of garbage. All for the absurd sum of $550. And its not even a decent paper weight. Other than that it was a great product (which emoticon do I use to indicate dripping with sarcasm)

Ok, end of my rant.

Fred
Old 08-09-2009, 03:28 AM
Founding Member

Quote:

Sony CMOS Cyber-shot
John,

Thanks for posting this...

This is one of two cameras Sony announced. The DSC-WX1 is the other. Both are very interesting because of the Exmor R CMOS sensor, which is the same sensor used in the very tasty PMWEX3. The downside is that the EX3 weighs 7 1/2 lbs, is not exactly pocket-size, and not particularly optimized for takin' still shots.

The DSC-WX1 is especially nice because it has a 24-120mm (35mm equiv.) lens, which is very wide for a P&S. And it's light and small for taking it anywhere.

That said, it's got a small sensor (small DOF) and has a fixed lens. So it would not be first on my list as a new camera. But it would be nice if Sony brought out a GH1 competitor with this sensor in a micro 4/3rds size. Now THAT would be tasty!

Regards,

Dan.