Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Photography and Video

Photography and Video Helping you take better photos and videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Panasonic GH1 and The Benefits of Insomnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by immunoboy View Post

... We actually went down the point-and-shoot path two months ago.
I find myself leaving my D700 at home more and more because I get tired of carrying it and all the other stuff around. I'm now looking for something small that will take "nearly as good" photos, then I'll reserve the D700 for purely photograpic outings. Suggestions?

Quote:

... I have high hopes that some day soon my blackberry, mini-laptop, Garmin GPS, MP3 player, mobile high capacity hard drive and PS camera will all be one, well integrated device with good functionality for every use. One chord, one charger - yeah!
Sounds good, but I can't imagine what it'll look like.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:29 PM

John,

My G1 and the 2 kit lenses (28-90 and 90-400 35mm equiv) fit in the same bag that I carried my Sony 707 P&S in (a small belt pack type bag that was just barely big enough for the Sony). While the Sony wasn't a small P&S it was a lot smaller than any SLR and the G1 (just barely) fits in the same space. IQ, in my opinion is as good as the entry level DSLR's from Canon and Nikon up to 400 ISO and even 800 is very useable.

Fred
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Interesting thread Dan. We have been wrestling with some of the same issues. The family day trip with the two year old and all her stuff, plus the Canon DSLR bag with a few lenses and a video camera, is often just too much to carry. We actually went down the point-and-shoot path two months ago. The limitations you mention are often a real problem. I find myself wishing for my DSLR and a particular lens more often than I can count. HOWEVER, I am impressed with the convenience of a PS camera. On our last Sunday bike ride, we stopped and Sophia wanted to play with some caterpillars she found. They were not the best quality pics, but that small PS was able to capture the moment - stills and a short 1 min video.

Its nice to see a future choice for us that will combine the DSLR and the video camera but still let us continue to enjoy our lens collection. I have high hopes that some day soon my blackberry, mini-laptop, Garmin GPS, MP3 player, mobile high capacity hard drive and PS camera will all be one, well integrated device with good functionality for every use. One chord, one charger - yeah!
immunoboy,

Regarding the combined GPS, mini laptop, blackbury, etc. It's already here. It's called an iPhone.

Actually the new iPhone 3GS 32 GB comes awful close to what you're talking about. I have the iPhone 3G 16GB. It has a modest camera, iPOD, full wireless, and GPS. the 3GS is a bit faster, has a compass and shoots video.

That said, there are many of us who want something more serious, but not quite as serious as a FF DSLR or a serious video camera. So we ratchet back. But at the end of day, hit a wall.

The gap between a nice DSLR and a decent P&S has been too great. We have been forced to choose between a DSLR, with good flash and lens options, and a P&S with limited options.

Then we have to consider dragging a video camera around. P&S videos can be nice, but you don't have many lens options. And audio options? Fugeddaboutit! They are extremely limited to non-existent.

So along comes the Olympus EP-1 and Panasonic G1. Most the DSLR/P&S conundrum falls by the wayside. You can get very good quality pics, from a modest sized camera, that has lots of flexibility and options, AND can be configured to meet your special needs.

Then the GH1 pops up. All the benefits of the G1 PLUS very good quality video! And nice audio with options like an external mike. And the ability to use adapters for a lot of old glass that's out there.

I looked at that puppy and thought, "I can have one camera that meets multiple needs!" DUH!

I visited Thailand several years ago. I took along my Sony 505V digicam and Canon camcorder. It was fun and I got some good stuff, BUT... WHAT A HASSLE!

The logistics were a nightmare. Imagine managing two types of media, two sets of add-on lenses, two separate battery chargers, and other BS. I carried everything around in a small backpack and was constantly switching back and forth. Just unpacking and setting up the battery chargers was a pain.

If I had something like the GH1, I'd have one nicely integrated system. One set of lenses. One type of media. One battery charger.

When I go over to see my grandsons, I could just grab one camera. OK, I might throw an external mike and flash in a day bag, but that would be about it. Way easier than dragging two cameras around. And not worry about having the wrong type of camera.

Or maybe I want to create a nice video for the forum. I could use the same camera, set it on a heavy video tripod, attach a nice prime lens (maybe a 20-25mm), set up lights, connect a lavaliere mike, and shoot. That's some nice flexibility.

I guess what I'm saying is that life is complex and fast moving. Most of us are not monolithic people with a single set of needs, wants, and interests. That's why I'm psyched about the possibilities in the GH1 and similar cameras - they can be configured and reconfigured to meet the multiple, complex needs that most of us have.

Oddly, I see a parallel in Festool tools. With Festool, you can grab the "components" that you need to get a job done. When done, you put it away. On the next job, you grab a another batch of components and reconfigure a bit differently.

OK, [/rambling] = OFF.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruegf View Post
Hey Dan,

I assume you're the Dan Clark I saw over in the micro four thirds forum on dpreview. Not a bad forum, but I think it was better when the G1 was still in the Panasonic forum. The 4/3 forum has been pretty much taken over by the Oly EP-1 folks.

Fred
Fred,

Yep. I'm the same (noisy) guy. I'd agree with you, but I think the G1 and GH1 are starting to get visibility.

One major benefit of the micro 4/3rds system is that many of the lenses from one manufacturer will work on another manufacturers camera. You'd have to check the compatibility list, but I believe that some Oly lenses will work pretty seamlessly on the Pany's and vice-versa. So having the cameras on one forum does make some sense. It gets a bit noisy, but its nice to see the brand barriers breaking down.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
I find myself leaving my D700 at home more and more because I get tired of carrying it and all the other stuff around. I'm now looking for something small that will take "nearly as good" photos, then I'll reserve the D700 for purely photograpic outings...
John,

I think most of us are on the same page. I have the same issues and also have a video camera to drag around.

I think "nearly as good" and "good enough" are the watch phrases. The Nikon D700 and D3 cameras, and the high-end Canon cameras take great pics. I seriously doubt if a G1 or GH1 can match them. BUT, are they "good enough" or "nearly as good"? From what I've seen posted, the answer (at least for me) is ABSOLUTELY!

The same argument applies to video cameras. IMO, the GH1 is definitely "good enough" and "nearly as good"!

One last point... If we haven't got our cameras with us, the whole quality argument isn't worth a hill of beans. I'm seriously PO'd at myself because of the number of great shots I've missed (still and video) simply because I didn't have my camera(s). IMO, life is too damn short to miss golden opportunities.

As an example, my wife took grandson #1 to the dentist for teeth cleaning a few weeks ago. So Tawann is sitting in the chair with a bib on, his legs crossed, and a big toothy grin on his face. So my wife whips out her iPhone and shoots one of the best pics I've seen. Perfect? Nope! Color and lighting excellent? Not by a long shot. But the focus was OK. Most importantly... The opportunity was there, she had a camera, and she got the shot!

So what good is the best camera on the planet if we don't have it at the right time?!?

Right now, I'm shooting (pardon the pun) for "good enough" in lots of situations.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post

... If we haven't got our cameras with us, the whole quality argument isn't worth a hill of beans.

I guess all I'm looking for is a camera that takes photos like a D700, and is the size of my cell phone.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post
Fred,

Yep. I'm the same (noisy) guy. I'd agree with you, but I think the G1 and GH1 are starting to get visibility.

One major benefit of the micro 4/3rds system is that many of the lenses from one manufacturer will work on another manufacturers camera. You'd have to check the compatibility list, but I believe that some Oly lenses will work pretty seamlessly on the Pany's and vice-versa. So having the cameras on one forum does make some sense. It gets a bit noisy, but its nice to see the brand barriers breaking down.

Regards,

Dan.
I agree that ultimately it will make sense and be a good thing, but the level of G1 traffic dropped dramatically after it was moved to the m43 forum. I'm sure that as the newness of the EP-1 wears off it will balance out again over time.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...onnect/g1.html lists the current compatible products

Fred
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-07-2009, 09:15 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Interesting thread Dan. We have been wrestling with some of the same issues. The family day trip with the two year old and all her stuff, plus the Canon DSLR bag with a few lenses and a video camera, is often just too much to carry. We actually went down the point-and-shoot path two months ago. The limitations you mention are often a real problem. I find myself wishing for my DSLR and a particular lens more often than I can count. HOWEVER, I am impressed with the convenience of a PS camera. On our last Sunday bike ride, we stopped and Sophia wanted to play with some caterpillars she found. They were not the best quality pics, but that small PS was able to capture the moment - stills and a short 1 min video.

Its nice to see a future choice for us that will combine the DSLR and the video camera but still let us continue to enjoy our lens collection. I have high hopes that some day soon my blackberry, mini-laptop, Garmin GPS, MP3 player, mobile high capacity hard drive and PS camera will all be one, well integrated device with good functionality for every use. One chord, one charger - yeah!
Getting closer...

Old 08-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
I guess all I'm looking for is a camera that takes photos like a D700, and is the size of my cell phone.
John,

Just so you know... There are Nikon adapters available for th GH1. You'd be limited to manual mode, but you can leverage your Nikon lens inventory.

Getting interested? Hmm...???

Regards,

Dan.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
I find myself leaving my D700 at home more and more because I get tired of carrying it and all the other stuff around. I'm now looking for something small that will take "nearly as good" photos, then I'll reserve the D700 for purely photograpic outings. Suggestions?
John ... we got a Canon Powershot SD 1100 IS. It is a 8 MP P&S. We got a really good deal at our local Costco (under $200 with a 4 GB memory card). I often just pop it into a pocket and it is perfect for those unexpected moment shots. In fact, I recently got a decent picture of my nephew in a dentist's chair (my father-in-law's).

As for iPhones ... hmmm I will just wait until something more appropriate comes out. They are not supported at work, so crackberry it is. I must be the last person on the planet who dislikes Mac, even though I was once a fanatic.