talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Photography and Video

Photography and Video Helping you take better photos and videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 10:14 PM

Default Which printers or print services do you use.

Once again, more questions. I'd like to research a new printer and scanner, and thought I'd ask for some opinions. I also have used some online print services, and have been happy with that. I have an HP psc 2510 photosmart all in one.

I read in the Shutterbug magazine where someones question was wanting to know the ratio size for different size enlargements, like 8x10. They went on to answer the question that he had never used such print services, and would not recomend them to anyone except for snapshots, because the prints are made with a silver based dye on cheap plastic coated paper. He lends his attention to those who make their own prints.

I always thought a good quality printer at home, or online services where great too. So what do you use?

Last edited by robtonya; 01-10-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Which printers or print services do you use.

Rob,

I have an Epson R380 photo printer. So far I've only printed 4x6's, but it does an excellent job and is easy to use (even I could figure it out!).

I haven't used an online printer yet, but I've seen mpix recommended by many photographers.

Tom.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:55 AM

Rob... I use Costco, great results!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:51 PM

Thanks guys. I don't know if we have a Costco around here. I had one picture that I sent to Wal-mart one time that came back way darker than what I had sent them. Snapfish looked good, and quick too. Winkflash took a little longer though. I liked Winkflash's gloss paper. Shiny.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Rob, we use the Kodak easy share system. It's great: you can upload your pictures, you can control who sees them, you can get them to print the pictures and mail them to people for you (very cheap), and people can choose to print their own and have them mailed. Good quality, and pennies a print. No complaints. All via the internet (except for the mailing, of course).
Old 01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Founding Member

I have a Canon 5000i which is a great general purpose color printer and it prints great pics too. It's 2-3 years old. I don't know what the latest and greatest version is. Sorry.

I tried other brands of paper, but I found the Canon papers to work best. I used to use Canon ink, but now I use ink from these guys: Printer Ink, Laser Toner, Printer Inkjet Cartridges - 4inkjets. The cost is way lower and the pics seem just as good.

Occasionally, I use RitzPix | Develop, Share, Order & Print Digital Photos Online | Ritz & Wolf Camera to print pictures. I think that you can have them send the printed images. However, there's an affiliate store about 10 minutes from here, so I just drive over and pick them up.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:06 PM

Epson makes some really great photo printers. e.g r1400.

I print my own for sizes larger than 4x6, but its cheaper and faster to have 4x6's printed at Walgreen's. I'll do any photoshop tweaks first and then upload online. They print on the same paper used for film and quality has been very good.

Fred