talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Photography and Video

Photography and Video Helping you take better photos and videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Digital Darkroom help

Wow Rob, you look a lot different than I thought you would. No wonder Toyota put you back in the paint dept. working by yourself with full protective gear.

So most of you are using dual monitors huh? I guess that would keep the photo large enough so I could work on it.

I never even heard of using a second hard drive to speed things along. This next question will show how much (little) I know about computers, but is this an internal drive?

I was on the Nikonians site, and it seems that many people are either using Lightroom or a combination of Lightroom and Capture NX. They seem to favor Lightroom for editing large numbers of photos at once and cataloging them.
Tom.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:02 AM

I might be wrong Tom, but sounds like John is using a RAID array,and yes they are normally internal but dont have to be, if you want more info check the link
RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Admin; 01-11-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWhite View Post

... sounds like John is using a RAID array,and yes they are normally internal but dont have to be ...
No, not a RAID array, these are two independent SATA drives. A RAID array would not allow Photoshop to read and write to the drives independently, and defeat my purpose.

My computer has enough bays to hold four internal hard drives, and two SATA controllers which will each run two independent drives. Right now, I'm using only one of the controllers.

Depending on the case form factor, even earlier computers will hold at least two hard drives internally, with some full towers holding up to six. Earlier motherboards often had two IDE (or EIDE) hookups, which can run two drives each, and for the past few years many have had at least one SATA controller, which adds another two drives. Later motherboards are generally all SATA, with onboard RAID capability.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:10 AM

OK John I see what you are doing now, I was not sure that's why I stated it sounds like you are using a raid array, thanks for the clarification, but as you asked Tom raid arrays can be used to increase data input and output and speed things up, it also improve data integrity as one drive mirrors the rest.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvgordon View Post
Wow Rob, you look a lot different than I thought you would. No wonder Toyota put you back in the paint dept. working by yourself with full protective gear.

So most of you are using dual monitors huh? I guess that would keep the photo large enough so I could work on it.

I never even heard of using a second hard drive to speed things along. This next question will show how much (little) I know about computers, but is this an internal drive?

I was on the Nikonians site, and it seems that many people are either using Lightroom or a combination of Lightroom and Capture NX. They seem to favor Lightroom for editing large numbers of photos at once and cataloging them.
Tom.
Yeah, but they say I can see defects REALLY well.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWhite View Post

raid arrays can be used to increase data input and output and speed things up, it also improve data integrity as one drive mirrors the rest.
There are currently about 6 different levels of RAID array, 0 through 5.

RAID 0, also known as JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Drives) does not mirror any data at all, but gives faster performance in spreading the reads and writes across two or more drives. If any drive should fail, the others are not individually readable, so all data is lost.

RAID levels 1 through 5 also increase performance, but use varying schemes in mirroring the data across the drives, more data security less total storage.

I have a NAS (Network Accessible Storage) unit that uses a proprietary RAID technology called X-RAID. It has four 1 terrabyte drives, but 25% of that space is reserved across the drives for mirroring, so I have only 3 terrabytes total storage. If one drive should fail I can hot swap it out and in a couple of hours the data will be spread across all drives again, with no data lost. But, if two (or more) drives fail at the same time, I'm totally screwed.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Tom.
Tom,

Capture NX will give you great quality results, but it's a bit slow. Regarding Lightroom, I'd be surprised if many people use Lightroom for editing images. It's great for cataloging and managing images, but the editing features are mediocre at best. Photoshop Elements has very limited file cataloging and management features, but has 10 times the image editing features compared to Lightroom and costs 1/3 as much.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s., I own Lightroom V2.2 (latest), Photoshop CS3 (latest is CS4), and Photoshop Elements V6.0 (latest is V7.0).
Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 PM

John,

With dual internal drives, is there a way to specify which programs use which drive? If not, how does the computer decide when to run which drive in order to speed things along?

Dan,

Maybe I didn't understand what they were doing, I thought they were using Lightroom to edit and catagorize images but maybe they were just sorting them with Lightroom. I have an older Elements on my computer now. I saw .RAW files but not .NEF. I haven't tried yet but I'm not sure if I need to update so it can read the NEF files.

Tom.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:

With dual internal drives, is there a way to specify which programs use which drive? If not, how does the computer decide when to run which drive in order to speed things along?
Tom, it depends on the software.

In Photoshop, the drive (or drives) that will used as a scratch disk can be set in preferences.

Other software also sometimes allows default destination drives to be set for saving different types of files or operations.

Quote:

Maybe I didn't understand what they were doing, I thought they were using Lightroom to edit and catagorize images but maybe they were just sorting them with Lightroom.
We may be talking about different types of editing. Lightroom does a good job of changing some settings on RAW files, such as white balance, color saturation, contrast, brightness, etc. And it does a good job of changing these settings on large groups of photos at once.

For major photo editing, either Photoshop or one the other applications mentioned here would be better.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 AM

To further add to the discussion about using multiple drives with Photoshop you can use external drives to use as scratch disks, depending on their method of connection. I used to own a OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro which is a 7200rpm 750 gig quad interfaced external HD, it is able to connect to a PC via USB 2, Firewire 400 and 800 and eSATA. When rendering large images, eSATA and Firewire 800 made a noticeable difference to processing time maybe roughly 20% quicker than using the internal HD, using firewire 400 was not noticably faster than using the internal HD and using USB 2 was about twice as slow as using the internal HD. (BTW the internal drive was a 7200rpm 120gig SATA HD in a dual core laptop). so If you want to use a external drive as a scratch pad make sure you use a firewire 800 or SATA connection.

After all is said and done I don't think the avantage would be noticed by the casual user who is just editing and fixing photos. when I tested I was merging about 6 photos into one which took about 2 and a half mins on the internal HD using the external as scratch was down to just under 2 mins, the bigger the jobs the more gain.