talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Photography and Video

Photography and Video Helping you take better photos and videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 08:04 PM

Default could use some more advice.

Alright, I like this photography thing. I have been taking pictures in RAW format, and really like that. Now when I use SilkyPix developer, I thought I cropped it perfect, and sent it online to Wal-mart, and had it developed. WhenI picked it up, they had cut both of the people on the left and right side in half. I fixed it by having them reprint it on an 8x12, but it still was not like the original. The gentleman at Wal-mart said it was like a really big panaramic picture. Any advice on this or a different program for developing RAW pictures would be great.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: could use some more advice.

Hi Rob,

I'm pretty sure that it's not the format, it's the aspect ratio of the picture that you're sending them. Most of those places have a standard aspect ratio (the relative lengths of the two sides of the rectangle). If the picture you send them doesn't have the same ratio, they will either crop it (which they did with yours) or scale it and put black or white borders on the side that's too small. The best thing to do to avoid this is to make sure that you send them pictures that have the correct aspect ratio. You can do this by cropping your pictures yourself, or adding a black or white background to the top/bottom or left/right of your pictures to get the aspect ratio correct. Then you can trim that off after they print it.

There may also be an option you can click when you submit the file to the printer that asks whether you want the print cropped or scaled. Click scaled. Your picture will be smaller, but otherwise it'll look the same as you sent them.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtonya View Post
Alright, I like this photography thing. I have been taking pictures in RAW format, and really like that. Now when I use SilkyPix developer, I thought I cropped it perfect, and sent it online to Wal-mart, and had it developed. WhenI picked it up, they had cut both of the people on the left and right side in half. I fixed it by having them reprint it on an 8x12, but it still was not like the original. The gentleman at Wal-mart said it was like a really big panaramic picture. Any advice on this or a different program for developing RAW pictures would be great.
Rob,

First, when I went to the SilkyPix site, I got a pop-up from my spyware detector telling me that they were a reported attack site. This is FYI only.

Second, I've never used Walmart photo, but I had similar problem with Ritz. With Ritz, there is an option to NOT try to fill out the frame (thus cutting off the left and right side). Check to see if Walmart has this. If they do NOT have this, I think you have two options:

1) Use another photo developer that DOES have this option, or

2) Change the "canvas size" on the image. This is the term used by PhotoShop and PhotoShop Elements. I don't know if SilkyPix has this option.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:33 PM

Thanks both of you for your answers. The SilkyPix is the program that came with the camera, but I haven't searched it on the internet. Good thing because The 30 day trial for the anti-virus has expired. I still scans and everything, but it won't update to the latest threats. As for cropping it or scaling it. I might of done the wrong one. I will have to research what I am doing.

On a side note, I had to take my cheap ass tri-pod back because the head broke on it, but I got to play with some DSLR. I picked up the Nikon, and Canon. I liked both. It was hard to mess with both of them a whole lot. They both was strapped down by the security wires with about a foot lead on them. I also was asked if I needed help about every minute. I always responded no, but actually I couldn't figure the Nikon out. I couldn't see a view of what I was taking on the LCD, and some I couldn't even tell if it was on or not.

The Canon was showing on the LCD what I was pointing the camera at, which was at the display stand, and when I took the picture it seemed real responsive. The problem I have with the current camera is it can't keep up with a three year old. I see a perfect picture, and shoot, but it hesitates just enough where I miss it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Founding Member

Rob,

Unfortunately photography is another slippery slope.

Most small digicams can't capture moving objects well - race cars, birds, 3 year-olds, etc. DSLRs are much better for that.

Both Nikon and Canon make great DSLRs. You can spend under $400 for one. Or, you can easily blow $20,000 for a setup. However, you do NOT want to buy one from a store where they have them on tethers!

Find a decent camera store with a knowledgeable sales person. Make sure that it has a card in it so you snap and review some pics. Ask a lot of questions (they expect them). Then leave.

Wait a few days and think about it. You'll have more questions. Go back to the store and ask more questions.

Do some research online. The most reputable site is Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ.

When you feel comfortable that you've asked the right questions (for you) and gotten good answer, then that's the time to buy.

Note that your first impressions of the cameras may not the right ones. In the high-volume stores, people mess with those cameras all the time. You need to be sure that some one hasn't changed a setting. Or the camera may not have the feature you want. Or it may have the feature implemented a different way.

Overall Nikon and Canon DSLRs are pretty comparable. Both brands have features and quality. I think Nikon has a slight lead now, but it is very slight. I also think that the Nikon camera ergonomics and external flash system is better. But that's about it. The problem for you is that you'll need to understand both systems better to make a good choice. And that's where you need a good store and salesman.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s., once you get a camera fast enough to catch a 3 year-old, then you'll have the problem of YOU catching the 3 year-old!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Dan's given you lots of good advice. I'd just add that we, too, were searching for a camera that didn't have a long delay before taking the picture. It's called "latency" I think. The smaller the number, the shorter the delay. I got a point-and-shoot Sony, partly because it had a short latency. Camera reviews will usually give a number for the latency, so you can compare.

Good luck. Hope you're rich!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:29 AM

What I have found I have been using is a button called trimming. I have been doing it in free method, where I just cut whatever. There are four modes. Free, image ratio, fixed ratio, and preset. To the right of fixed ratio, there are two values I can enter. One is H, the other is V. I think I figured it out while I was typing this. On the preset, it has several values such as 8x 10, and film settings like 120, 135, APS, and shows their ratios when applied.

Thanks again for the help. I will try to stick to normal ratios.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

They probably give you the option of making the 8" side the H (horizontal) or V (vertical) side, relative to the 10" side. That would take care of pictures taken in portrait or landscape mode.

I'd bet with a little more poking, prodding and button-pushing, you'll figure it out.

On the up side, the prints are pretty cheap, so you don't lose much while you experiment...
Old 01-05-2009, 12:34 AM

Prints being cheap is nice part of this slope I'm sliding down. I definetly research before I pull the trigger on this one. I was at Circuit City today, and honestly I am nervous about making any large purchases there because I hear about them might have to file bankruptcy, or close stores.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:02 AM

Do not go to Circuit City or equivalent to learn - sales people there know almost nothing about photography, computers or anything technical in my experience. I have far to often heard sales people and both Circuit City and Best Buy giving completely incorrect information to customers. To learn go to a store who's sole business is photography, still and video. These sales people will be trained and and either very experienced amateurs or professionals.

You may pay more at such a store than at a Circuit City but they will give you knowledgeable after sale support.