talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Photography and Video

Photography and Video Helping you take better photos and videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 11:20 PM

Default Still new to this.

I am researching a good telephoto lens for my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18. I have found a company that seems to offer alot of different lenses for my camera, but I would like the best quality (after all, I do buy Festools too). Here is a link Raynox conversion lens and accessories for Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ28, DMC-FZ28EB, DMC-FZ18, DMC-FZ18EB Digital Cameras

I was wondering if this is good brand, or if there was a better one. Also if I am refered to a different brand, I would need to know if it would fit on my camera. I have purchased the original Panasonic DMW-LA3 Lens Adapter which was required for the Raynox brand, and I would still need to get the Raynox adapter too (if I read that right). Thanks again for helping a newbie out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: Still new to this.

I have used a Raynox several years ago while I was still shooting with a compact Fuji S5000. It was an adequate lens and gave good photos for the format, but they got a little blurry if I blew thm up to 11x14 or larger. Some of that was due to the lower pixels of the camera.

Read the cautions at the bottom of the linked page. I found vignetting and loss of exposure range in low light were the biggest limitations. The only cure for me was the slippery slope of DSLRs by Nikon.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:35 PM

I hope to go to DSLR later. I'd like to get a little more zoom so I can get pictures of the kids when they don't realize I'm taking pictures. I like to get their real laughs, and smiles when they are playing, not the "posed" smiles. I don't mind investing in stuff that I could use when I transition to a DSLR like a nice tri-pod. Panasonic makes a 1.7x telephoto lense that might hold me over, but I seen this Raynox line that had several attatchments for the lense, so I thought I would see if they was a decent product.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:35 AM
Founding Member

Rob,

I looked at Raynox lens for my Canon video camera. When I looked at the reviews, Raynox was rated as a decent lens. But not as good as the native Canon lenses.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:03 AM

That helps Dan. I might stick with the native 1.7 telephoto Panasonic lense.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:00 AM
Founding Member

Rob,

If both are available locally, that would be best. If not AND you can get something like a 30 day return policy, you might want to try both. Then just return the one that doesn't fit your needs.

One point on this... Be sure to find a reputable retailer. There are some retailers out there that play fast and loose, especially some online retailers.

IMO, B&H are among the most reputable retailers out there. They may not have the lowest price, but they have a good return policy: B&H Photo Video Return & Exchange.

Raynox: raynox | B&H Photo Video.

Panasonic: 1.7 telephoto Panasonic lens | B&H Photo Video

Regards,

Dan.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:42 AM

Thanks Dan. I did an internet search of local camera shops, and Yellow book put me at having one two states away, in Tenn.! I'll keep lookin. I have visited B&H, and they have a lot of nice stuff there.