talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Photography and Video

Photography and Video Helping you take better photos and videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Founding Member

Default Nikon D700

Just when you thought that that the camera world quieted down, Nikon brings out the D700. Here a preview: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond700/.

It's got most of the features of the Nikon D3 including the FX, full-frame format. It's also got the incredibly high 25600 ISO, Live View and 922K pixel LCD from the D3. (Most cameras' LCD is something like 200K pixels.) In addition, it has a self-cleaning sensor and enhanced Virtual Horizon (first introduced in the D3). While the high-speed shooting mode isn't quite as good as the D3, it will still shoot 5 frames per second normally and 8 frames per second with the battery pack.

Overall, the D700 has virtually all of the features of the D3, is 1/2 lb lighter, much smaller and $2,000 cheaper. It looks like an awesome camera. NOW I have a problem. Kapex? D700? Decisions, decisions...

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. Here are some sharp, colorful animal pics taken with a D3 to give you an idea of what the D700 should do: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=28486043.

p.p.s I thought my SB800 was top-dog in the Nikon Flash line. Check out the new SB900: http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...peedlight.html. Seriously tasty!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:42 AM

G'day!

That looks like a beauty Dan!
I use the D300 for furniture photography. It's a fine camera. My father inlaw bought the D200 before the D300 was released. Then I bought the D300 he wanted to swap
I was looking at the Canon too, as I had heard the functions were easier to use, but was advised by a photographer to get the Nikon
cheers!
Okami
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:43 AM
Perfect Little Angel

So Dan are you going to get a 700? What are you currently using?

Chris...
Old 07-30-2008, 04:51 AM
Founding Member

Well at $3,000, it's a bit pricey. Now if the :tigersmile: of my life had a better sense of humor, I'd go for it. Oh well, maybe the price will come down!

Dan.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Default Nikon D700

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post

NOW I have a problem. Kapex? D700? Decisions, decisions...

Dan, thanks for the link, nice camera, good review.

But isn't the decision more like 1 D700 or 3 Kapexs?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
But isn't the decision more like 1 D700 or 3 Kapexs?

John,

I'll pretty much bet that Dan would have more fun and spend more time with the camera. He's a voyeur you know.

Chris...
Old 07-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
John,

I'll pretty much bet that Dan would have more fun and spend more time with the camera. He's a voyeur you know.

Chris...
Yeah, but my wife studies Aikido. I may be a voyeur, but I'm not a masochist!

Regards,

Dan.

Last edited by DanClark; 07-30-2008 at 04:12 PM. Reason: For the word "Wife" in the first sentence.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post

Well at $3,000, it's a bit pricey.

Right now there are essentially none of these available, so talking deals is out of the question. But, I'm wondering if waiting a while might see some better prices.

I had convinced myself that I didn't really need a Kapex, so I thought there might be a way to gather the funds for a D700. But I folded and ordered a Kapex, so I guess the D700 will have to wait.

So many toys, so little cash.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
So many toys, so little cash.
The dichotomy of life!

Dan.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:41 AM

Usually October through December is when you'll find some of the best prices of digital cameras. October is when many new models come out so the old models are clearance priced. It is also when many stores like Best Buy and Circuit City start to offer no interest financing for 6 to 18 months. If I can find a camera I like for the right price and interest free financing, I might have a new camera this year.

Oh, I guess that is if I can talk my wife into it.

Tom.