talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Photography and Video

Photography and Video Helping you take better photos and videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 02:11 AM
Founding Member

Tom,

You were doin' good until you got the last sentence!

Dan.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-02-2008, 04:29 AM
Perfect Little Angel

Costco is big on Nikon's now. They were offering $300 off a package a while back. Now it's like $150 off. Stay away from any of the gray market stuff (usually east coast stuff), that will state USA warranty. It's a load of crap and your package won't even include a real battery, etc. Most of them have loads of BBB complaints. Stick with some of the big name online companies or your brick and mortar. I'm so not a fan of CC lately, never been a fan of BB either (maybe it's me ). Talk about a store that's gone down hill in a hurry.

Chris...
Old 08-02-2008, 07:42 PM

Yea Chris, I'm not a huge fan of CC or BB either. I would much rather order from BHPhoto or buy from a decent camera shop. BUT, money is tight, and if I can save a few hundred up front and get interest free financing (get the camera sooner that way) I will probably buy from one of the big box stores.

However, if I find I need help choosing a camera or accessories, I will spend the extra money because the salespeople I've talked to don't seem very knowledgeable about the higher priced camera systems.

Tom.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:00 AM
Founding Member

Some nice shots with the D700: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=28809416. Day-am that camera is NICE!

Dan.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:11 AM
Perfect Little Angel

Dan,

Would you hurry up and order one? You know you want to... you really, really want to. I think you're taking a few years off your life by torturing yourself about it and not getting one. If I was as good as you at taking pictures and knowledgeable about it, I would have already gotten one. What's your problem Dan, Get it! You deserve it.. think of it as a TalkFestool.com grand opening gift for yourself.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Dan,
I think you're taking a few years off your life by torturing yourself about it and not getting one.
Chris,

Unfortunately, my wife would take years off my life if I bought one right now! Once I get it the master bathroom remodel done, the LOML will be a little more amenable to a new camera (hopefully).

Regards,

Dan.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Perfect Little Angel

That's fair Dan... Give a little, Take a little... That's kinda how I do things around here. Her stuff usually costs a lot more than mine though. Hard to believe huh?

Last edited by ChrisM; 08-05-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post

Day-am that camera is NICE!

Those shots are pretty impressive. Makes me wonder how much is the camera, and how much is the skill of the photographer.

With tools (and toys) I usually like to buy the best I can afford, and then hang on to it for a very long time. I think it costs more in the long run to continually be upgrading. But the D700 seems like a lot of camera for a relative neophite. Or is it something that could be grown into fairly easily?

I do have to replace my Coolpix soon, it's starting to suffer from a syndrome common to the model, it suddenly shuts off without warning, and won't go back on until the switch is wiggled for a while. This was a big problem at a recent family reunion, where I was the one taking all the photos. I'd get a group together and they'd have to stand there while I fiddled with the camera. The lack of decent wide angle capabilities was also a problem.

My wife was very unhappy with the camera problems (it was her family) and said on the way home that I should just get it fixed or replace it. It certainly isn't worth fixing, and she has absolutely no idea what I'm thinking of replacing it with.

But I'm also thinking it would be crazy not to strike while the iron is hot.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:58 PM

There's no time like striking while the iron is hot John as long as it won't end up with Your wife striking You
Okami
Old 08-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Those shots are pretty impressive. Makes me wonder how much is the camera, and how much is the skill of the photographer.

With tools (and toys) I usually like to buy the best I can afford, and then hang on to it for a very long time. I think it costs more in the long run to continually be upgrading. But the D700 seems like a lot of camera for a relative neophite. Or is it something that could be grown into fairly easily?

I do have to replace my Coolpix soon, it's starting to suffer from a syndrome common to the model, it suddenly shuts off without warning, and won't go back on until the switch is wiggled for a while. This was a big problem at a recent family reunion, where I was the one taking all the photos. I'd get a group together and they'd have to stand there while I fiddled with the camera. The lack of decent wide angle capabilities was also a problem.

My wife was very unhappy with the camera problems (it was her family) and said on the way home that I should just get it fixed or replace it. It certainly isn't worth fixing, and she has absolutely no idea what I'm thinking of replacing it with.

But I'm also thinking it would be crazy not to strike while the iron is hot.
A lot of it has to do with the photographer. However, any camera has it's limits. Controlling lighting and noise are two of them.

How about this... Find a store that has the camera and flashes, and will allow you to use your own memory card. Get a small, cheap CF memory card. Then go to a store and take pics with different flashes - internal, SB800, SB900 - and take shots. Bring them home, upload to you 'puter, and compare.

Regards,

Dan.