talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Other Projects

Other Projects Metal work, car polishing, and other jobs where we use our tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 07:11 AM

Default Re: The Re-build

She does
She's been playing piano since she was 4years old.
The bike is in our kind of junk/hobby room at the bottom of the house. I kind of took over the room with this bike project she's been relegated to a window sill at present..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
Looks like a fun project, Okami! 2-cycle bikes & scooters had better power to weight ratio, but could not meet tighter emissions standards, so they have been discontinued.
The power delivery of the 2-cycle bikes are much more vicious than the newer 4-cycle dirt bikes, and that's what makes them scary and tricky to handle at times. I believe if I were to enter a race day with my 250cc bike, I'd have to go up against 450cc 4-cycle bikes, although the 450cc bikes are much more powerful.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Fanatastic work, as always - especially from one who claims not to be a mechanic. I thought it was a miracle when I finally figured out a trickle charger for my motorcycle battery so I didn't need to change or charge it everytime I got to the cabin, which is only a couple times a year. Beyond that, I am lucky to get gasoline in the right place - but I love to ride, this looks like a fun project for you.
This is the first project I've undertaken of this kind, involving engines and mechanics. The closest I've come was the Northfield Tablesaw project.
I do have a manual that I've been referencing as I go along. The manual also has a torque chart to get everything tightened up correctly. I have a couple of torque wrenches.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I love this! Thanks for posting. I'd particularly love to see more close-ups of how you're doing the various things. I've never done anything like this, and it's fun to live and learn vicariously.

So, your wife plays music in the background while you're working?
Sorry, I haven't taken any close-up, detailed photo's up until now, and most of the interesting stuff has been done already
I'll get a few close shots of the engine in place with the carb fitted.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:38 AM

Here's the air box assembly. I had to take it apart to clean it as the seals were old and need replacing. Actually the whole assembly needs replacing really, but I'm going to go with it for now and just give it a clean and change the seal.

Here's the air box assembly ready to go back together

Here's a snap of the carb and reed valve. The reed valve is the thing with vForce printed on it. It's an after market part.

The radiators are on and all the hosing

The coolant I'm using

Old 01-31-2014, 10:31 AM

That's a picture if the carb at the air box end. This is with no throttle.

This is half throttle and full throttle. You can see it opens up to allow air in to mix with the fuel. The thin part in the middle is the throttle needle.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:35 AM

The sub-frame gets primed.

The sub-frame and fuel tank goes on
Old 01-31-2014, 10:40 AM

I squeeze the air box on now. I've bought a new air filter as the other was falling apart.. This is an after market part called twin air.

Air box connected to the carb
Old 01-31-2014, 10:45 AM

Here's the gasket, O'rings and grease for the exhaust

Hers the exhaust port. You can see the piston through there.

Fitted on, with new springs in place.
This exhaust was thrown in as part of the deal, it hasn't seen much use by the looks of it. They usually get scratched and dented pretty quickly

The back end

Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 AM

Panels on and I gave it the first start and it didn't explode! Yeah!
I'll have to take it for a ride to make sure everything is functioning properly, but it looks like this project is just about complete for now. I've learnt a lot, and had a lot of fun in the process. I now have the confidence to do the maintenance to keep it healthy (these 2strokes do need a lot of maintenance) instead of paying a mechanic $100 an hour.
Cheers!