talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Other Projects

Other Projects Metal work, car polishing, and other jobs where we use our tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 03:29 AM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.
Default some new work

Here are some MDF domes with segmented, turned frames. Any opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
some-new-work-email-dome01.jpg   some-new-work-email-dome02.jpg   some-new-work-email-dome03.jpg  
Old 02-23-2012, 04:13 AM

Default Re: some new work

Can you explain more? How high are the domes? How are they made? What's the finish? Very cool looking, but not sure just what I'm looking at!

thanks

neil
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-23-2012, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mmm - I really like that black and white one.

I have the same questions as Neil. Are these to be hung on a wall? They remind me of those domed mirrors that you'd see in Victorian houses. Except, these mirrors put you in some other world.

How do you layer the paints? And what kind of paint do you use?
Old 02-23-2012, 04:36 AM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.

Thx Neil.

The domes are 2 pieces of 3/4 MDF glued and turned and the frame is
cherry in an 18 piece segmented frame. The cool thing about segmented
turning is you don't need anything longer than what you can run thru your jointer.... The finish is Lowe's ventian plaster and Golden fluid acrylics applied with all the non-tradional tools. I then spray with Mohawk water-bourne conversion varnish. At least 3 coats. Polish with the Rotex....
any questions?...
Old 02-23-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Mmm - I really like that black and white one.

I have the same questions as Neil. Are these to be hung on a wall? They remind me of those domed mirrors that you'd see in Victorian houses. Except, these mirrors put you in some other world.

How do you layer the paints? And what kind of paint do you use?
I can only hope someone willwant to hang this on a wall...

Hey Poto,
I use the commercial Venetian plaster from lowes, Valspar venetian plaster. An average coat will dry within 4 minutes. I can always find something else to do for 4 minutes. The best water-based colors I have found are from Golden Paints. I use their fluid acrylics.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrol View Post
Here are some MDF domes with segmented, turned frames. Any opinions?
Matt,

I am torn between the middle one and the end one. What do you do with these and how much do you sell them for. They are really beautiful.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-24-2012, 03:13 AM

Thanks Fred. The middle one was traded for some photo work.
The end one is available. It is 16 inches in diameter and about 2 3/4 inches deep. Retail is $400.00. Of course I try to sell them. Let me know if your interested.
Matt