talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Other Projects

Other Projects Metal work, car polishing, and other jobs where we use our tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 01:32 AM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.
Default new project/folding screen

Here is a screen I just finished and delivered to a gallery.
Okay guys...let it rip. I am here for my critique. It is a basic off-square frame, skinned with plywood and finished how I d@#n well wanted to.
Attached Thumbnails
new-project-folding-screen-email-screen-front.jpg   new-project-folding-screen-email-screen-back.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: new project/folding screen

I really love the asymmetry of the panels, Matthew. I like the three-dimensional shape it gives the screen when they're open.

The finish is pretty wild. It wouldn't work well in my house, but I like your adventurous approach to it!

What are the hinges?
Old 02-21-2012, 02:33 AM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.

Thanks Poto. The finish is acrylic resin in a quartz matrix....its' stuff called Spreadstone from an outfit in Canada used to make exterior concrete look like flagstone when applied the right way. What is the fun in that? Then hinges are the largest Soss barrel hinges I could find. I like the tension caused by the falling panels. We will see what the audience will say.
Matt
Old 02-22-2012, 03:06 AM

Might not go in my house either but more power to you I say. It is still neat for me anytime I see someone who gives a hoot about their craft, regardless of medium. And it would go somewhere. Just not necessarily a dining table center piece. ;-)
Someday, considering that we're all of an hour distant, we'll have to hook up and meet. I get to Omaha on occasion.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-22-2012, 04:48 AM

Thanks for the input Randy! We should get together sometime. I too have a 3520b. Damn fine lathe. I will post some frames sometime soon.
Matt
Old 03-03-2012, 04:54 AM

The d@mn thing may have sold!! Don't jinx it....

Matt
Old 03-03-2012, 06:36 AM

You just did, bub!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:23 AM

duhhhh!! well we will just see........
Randy the dream killer...
Old 03-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Matt! Just out of curiosity, will you reveal your price?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 03-03-2012, 05:02 PM

3 grand. 1/2 goes to the Kent Bellows Studio.

Kent Bellows