talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Other Projects

Other Projects Metal work, car polishing, and other jobs where we use our tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Shinex - Auto/Boat detailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Laurie, I'm pretty sure

1) The different gauge of plug-it cord has a slightly different connector. You can use the big one for all tools, but the small one has an extra ridge on the connector so it won't go in the big tools. Check your tools to see.

2) The older versions of the tools don't have plug-it cords. Once they get around to updating them, they usually add the plug-it. In the case of the OF2200 and Shinex, I'm not sure what the explanation is.

These tools are viewed more as industrial grade tools where they are likely to stay plugged in (and in use all day), so there's not much point in a quick change cord.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:26 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Quote:
Laurie, I'm pretty sure

1) The different gauge of plug-it cord has a slightly different connector. You can use the big one for all tools, but the small one has an extra ridge on the connector so it won't go in the big tools. Check your tools to see.
Okay.

<checking...>

Oh. Um... so it does.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:36 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
Okay.

<checking...>

Oh. Um... so it does.
Great call Poto, Marine Biologists apparently are savvy on electron flow also.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Inactive Member

Quote:
As a professor, I am sure you understand that there is a big difference between what you tell a student, and what the student remembers you telling them, right?
Old 04-26-2011, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

I've learned over the years that what I think I'm telling the students, and what they tend to hear, are often quite different things.

So I've gone more and more to showing, followed up by telling. Sometimes the showing is preceded by some low-level telling. If you ask my students what they remember 10 years later, it's almost always the demonstrations. So I use lots of them.

Telling is a great way for some people to learn. People like me, and my students. But it sure doesn't work for everyone. Which has led to a lot of really smart people not getting in to academia.

To our loss.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:59 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

For a while I worked with a man who had been a Sergeant in the Marine Corp.
He said there are three steps when instructing recruits.
1. Tell them what you're fixing to tell them.
2. Tell them.
3. Tell them what you just told them.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Okay.

<checking...>

Oh. Um... so it does.
That's OK Hasslefactor, it falls into the great mystery of Festool WHY'S:
Why no square drive bits
Why no smaller countersink bits with depth stop than the 3.5mm[ Really, a 2.5mm isn't feasible:p]
Why Plug-It cords on some, and not others
Why does the new T-Loc only fit and lock on TOP of the older Sys[Oh, it just does, and you'll like it or else:p]
Why no Hand Sanding Blocks for the NAS market with the vacuum ports attached?[They're available in OTHER markets:smad:]
See, it goes on and on, so don't feel bad.
Now, back to watching for your package being delivered by some very nervous delivery people
Old 04-26-2011, 02:48 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
Why no square drive bits
Why no smaller countersink bits with depth stop than the 3.5mm[ Really, a 2.5mm isn't feasible:p]
Why does the new T-Loc only fit and lock on TOP of the older Sys[Oh, it just does, and you'll like it or else:p]
Why no Hand Sanding Blocks for the NAS market with the vacuum ports attached?[They're available in OTHER markets:smad:]
Now, back to watching for your package being delivered by some very nervous delivery people
The NAINA belt sander is my pet peeve. Festool bought the factory
that made the excellent old AEG belt sander (which was available worldwide)
and now sells the virtually identical sander everywhere except here.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:51 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
Why no square drive bits
Thanks, Leaky. I feel better now.

As for those hand sanding blocks with vac ports... Mirka's Abranet Sheet Sanding System is AWESOME. It's really hard to find the entire kit in the U.S. (I got lucky and found mine on Ebay), but there are several sources for the individual blocks and abrasives. The Mirka hose fits into the Festool CT, and is especially nice - VERY soft and flexible. Imagine sanding drywall overhead with virtually no dust while using a tool that weighs next to nothing... seriously, it's the best thing ever.*

*...with the possible exception of the thing UPS should be delivering today.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Leaky. I feel better now.

As for those hand sanding blocks with vac ports... Mirka's Abranet Sheet Sanding System is AWESOME. It's really hard to find the entire kit in the U.S. (I got lucky and found mine on Ebay), but there are several sources for the individual blocks and abrasives. The Mirka hose fits into the Festool CT, and is especially nice - VERY soft and flexible. Imagine sanding drywall overhead with virtually no dust while using a tool that weighs next to nothing... seriously, it's the best thing ever.*

*...with the possible exception of the thing UPS should be delivering today.
I bought the small Mirka hand sander block with a dust port from my local Woodcraft a few weekends ago. I modified it with half of a Fein stepped dust port part off Amazon so that the stock Festool 27mm hose fits inside the Fein vacuum part, which in turn fits the Mirka adapter that the sanding block came with-Got all that?, Mirka to Fein to Festool
I'm so money, I'm so global-And all I wanted was the Festool stock pads with the dust ports-sigh.................
And I didn't even know Mirka made a hose to go with their sanding blocks Where were you when I was buying all this stuff-Oh, waiting on that mystery package.
Here's a picture of my "adapted' sanding block[a lesson in how to complicate things]....It fits the 80mmx 133mm Festool paper ,sort of. I'll modify it further on the pad to match the Festool paper holes a bit better for improved dust pick-up
Attached Thumbnails
shinex-auto-boat-detailing-picture-104.jpg