talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Other Projects

Other Projects Metal work, car polishing, and other jobs where we use our tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 03:04 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor
Default Re: Shinex - Auto/Boat detailing

No more ice cream cone for him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder if that's our Rob? He's a painter for Toyota. Haven't seen him for a while around here.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

I wonder if that's our Rob? He's a painter for Toyota. Haven't seen him for a while around here.
One in the same.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
One in the same.

The issues he's posting about have happened to factory car lines before ,where a single person wearing the "wrong" thing caused weird paint issues on the line until it was carefully tracked down and eliminated.
Amazing that one person can affect things without even trying to.
I first ran into this during my training years, and heard about issues at both the GM and the Chrysler plants in MO having weird paint issues due to something tiny getting into the paint while the workers were moving around the vehicle, painting it.
The other, not so funny thing was to hear line workers in the sheetmetal section talk about shorting cop vehicles of welds as they came down the welding line for spot welds. No one could ever fully stop the practice from happening as it was fully "intergrated" among employees, who passed the practice down to the new people who were getting hired.
The build sheets on the bodys gave everyone the full info on a vehicles build-up, so they knew which were police vehicles and which weren't.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post

... heard about issues at both the GM and the Chrysler plants in MO having weird paint issues due to something tiny getting into the paint while the workers were moving around the vehicle, painting it.

... line workers in the sheetmetal section talk about shorting cop vehicles of welds as they came down the welding line for spot welds. No one could ever fully stop the practice from happening as it was fully "intergrated" among employees, who passed the practice down to the new people who were getting hired.
Those sound like two more good reasons for robots on the auto assembly lines, they don't wear clothing and they don't hate cops.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

They probably don't have unions, either.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Make that THREE good reasons.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:26 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
No unions here either.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:56 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor
Default Re: Shinex is coming- Shinex is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
No , I don't see a problem. Unless the plug-it system isn't rated for higher amp draws of a bigger tool. Does the big router 2200 come with it or is it hardwired like the Shinex?
I just took a look a little drive through the Festool catalog. The monster OF 2200 (power consumption: 2200 watts/18 amps) is hardwired. However, many Festools that consume FAR less power are also hardwired. For example, the planers (720W/6A or 850W/7A), the RS 2 E sander (330W/2.75A), and even the tiny DX 93 E sander (150W/1.3A) are all hardwired.

Power consumption for the Shinex (1200W/10A) is exactly the same as for the TS 55 saw, and quite a bit less than for the TS 75 saw (1600W/13A). Both saws use plug-it cords, while the Shinex is hardwired. The RO 150 Rotex uses a plug-it cord and consumes the same power (720W/6A) as the hardwired EHL 65 E planer.

Curious why some tools get plug-it cords and others don't.

Now that the discussion has turned electrical, maybe we can get Rick to weigh in on the issue. By the way, the reason I made that comment about switching plug-it cords is because Rick had cautioned me to pay attention to which plug-it cord I was using if I was going to leave one connected to my vac (which I like doing because I am lazy). As he pointed out, while it would be fine to operate the Rotex with the TS 55's 16 AWG plug-it cord, it's obviously a bad idea to operate the TS 55 with the Rotex's 18 AWG cord.

At least... that's the way I REMEMBER the conversation. Which, I have to admit, was just one more installment in the seemingly endless series of educational opportunities graciously provided to me by the Rick Christopherson Pro Bono Academy For Inconceivably Ignorant Noobs.

And yes, the gauge is printed on the cords, but it never would have occurred to THIS inconceivably ignorant noob that the cords might be different. After all, the way Festool markets the plug-it capability does kind of imply that all plug-it cords are interchangeable. Just my personal opinion, but it seems to me there should be something in the manual informing owners that some cords are heavier than others, and telling them to verify that the plug-it cord they're using is adequate for ALL the tools they plan to use it with.

On the other hand, I also realize it's possible that everybody who buys a Festool (other than myself) would already know this. Still, it does seem like the kind of advice that would be at LEAST as helpful as, for example, the warning that I should remove the blade from my saw before cleaning it with kerosene.

Of course, none of this is really relevant to this thread, since the Shinex doesn't have a plug-it cord. But it's not like relevance has ever been a big factor around here, so there it is.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Laurie, I'm pretty sure

1) The different gauge of plug-it cord has a slightly different connector. You can use the big one for all tools, but the small one has an extra ridge on the connector so it won't go in the big tools. Check your tools to see.

2) The older versions of the tools don't have plug-it cords. Once they get around to updating them, they usually add the plug-it. In the case of the OF2200 and Shinex, I'm not sure what the explanation is.