talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Other Projects

Other Projects Metal work, car polishing, and other jobs where we use our tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Shinex is coming- Shinex is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
We live in a world where effortless, instant gratification is popular. Silicone provides a great shine with little effort, so it sells products.

Yes, the cheap, effortless shine is always going to sell more than one that takes more work.
I have NO idea what, of the many, automotive finishing products have silicone in them that I handle, either at home or work. I DO know that a few of my friends in the auto body world have chased contaiments off a car surface, sometimes for days, so they're much more biased than I am about the issue. The problem I had with several of the info paragraphs was that no one was saying, does the silicone HAVE to be in the paint, or is there a much better product that does the same effect, although at a greater cost. Instead, they seem to downplay the silicone and any suffering someone's gone through with it when cleaning or refinishing something like a vehicle.
I agree with Laurie, on certain surfaces, when it's in there, it's IN THERE. I've seen chemical washes not fully remove it. Special soaps get laughed at, and only sanding, with vacuum removal during and after, followed by more chemical washing, fully removed it in bad cases that someone has shown me on a car.
Not a headache that I have to deal with, but one that I'm wary of.:smad:
On that note, there's also no mention of where all that silicone is going, once it's free of the surface it WAS once on. In waste water systems or landfills usually, I guess. Hopefully not back into our fresh water supply.

I read somewhere in the past couple of years, that Teflon is being found everywhere, in higher than ever amounts, since it's so commonly used and is degrading in landfills or water systems from trash and discarded items that have Teflon in them. I wonder if Silicone , in all its forms is leaching into things the same way.
But the special fish eye remover IS silicone after all. I learned that years ago when I first started reading about furniture refinishing. If you can't beat it, then join it I guess.....
Old 04-22-2011, 09:58 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I've got to go with the weather on that one. Hasslefactor could outlast continental drift...
Bottom of the 7th, and...

Weather: 3...--...Still freezing, rainy, and blowing
Hasslefactor: 2 ...--...Starboard grabrail, half a hatch rail, and blowing (her nose)

Hasslefactor at bat. Then the scrapers voted to strike.
(sort of a cruel joke, if you ask me... or maybe they just don't get baseball metaphors)

Anyway, back in the dugout now, calling it a draw.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:18 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post

On that note, there's also no mention of where all that silicone is going, once it's free of the surface it WAS once on. In waste water systems or landfills usually, I guess. Hopefully not back into our fresh water supply.

I read somewhere in the past couple of years, that Teflon is being found everywhere, in higher than ever amounts, since it's so commonly used and is degrading in landfills or water systems from trash and discarded items that have Teflon in them. I wonder if Silicone , in all its forms is leaching into things the same way.

But the special fish eye remover IS silicone after all. I learned that years ago when I first started reading about furniture refinishing. If you can't beat it, then join it I guess.....
Sigh. Now I'm just depressed.

Quick, Leaky! Take our minds off it!
More pics of the Shinex!!!!

Hmmm.... now that makes me wonder....
What's in Festool's polishing products?
(which I'm guessing are still NAINA)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:19 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I'm starting to remember why I always paid someone else to detail my vehicles -- simplicity, I don't have a handle on car care products but I do have a handle on U.S. currency. I'm sure I'll be able to muddle through the gooey maze of waxes & polishes. I'll have to have something to use my Shinex for. :p
Old 04-23-2011, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post

... That being said.... the biggest issue for me BY FAR is non-disclosure. I have no tolerance for manufacturers who make it impossible for people to reach an informed decision about a product without spending an inordinate amount of time doing detective work first.

Case in point: The only way I found out that Meguiars ScratchX contains silicone was through relentless Googling...
Meguiar's does have list on their site showing which of their products are "body shop safe", meaning they won't cause problems when repainting a car:

Body Shop Safe or Not?

Of course, silicone in an auto finish is not really a problem for the vast majority of owners who never have their cars repainted. In fact, there's a good argument to be made for silicones actually extending the life of the paint.

But then, I replace my cars when the wipers stop wiping well, so I never get even close to having paint problems.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:16 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Meguiar's does have list on their site showing which of their products are "body shop safe", meaning they won't cause problems when repainting a car:

Body Shop Safe or Not?

Of course, silicone in an auto finish is not really a problem for the vast majority of owners who never have their cars repainted. In fact, there's a good argument to be made for silicones actually extending the life of the paint.

But then, I replace my cars when the wipers stop wiping well, so I never get even close to having paint problems.

I on the other hand, being very GREEN drove my last (white) van 15 years so I guess I trade every 15 years or so.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

I on the other hand, being very GREEN drove my last (white) van 15 years so I guess I trade every 15 years or so.
That doesn't prove you're "green", only that you like to drive old cars.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
That doesn't prove you're "green", only that you like to drive old cars.

Just look at all of that carbon you create getting a new vehicle every couple of years before the old one is used up. They don't make them critters out of corn.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

Just look at all of that carbon you create getting a new vehicle every couple of years before the old one is used up. They don't make them critters out of corn.
I'm just messin' with ya, Ron. I bought my last truck new in 1992 and didn't swap it out until 2008.

However, since vehicles get cleaner and more efficient every year, and just about everything on scrapped vehicles can be recycled, a good case could be made for buying a new car every year making someone very environmentally conscientous.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post

Silicone can already be found in more places than we might think. I found this info over on the site for the American Wood Finishing Institute:

Finishing defects are always a major concern to any finisher, particularly when they involve fish eye in the finished product. Fish eye is an easy defect to identify. It will look like a round indentation in the finish. On closer examination with a magnifying glass, it will look like a crater with a rim around the perimeter of the defect along with a very small dot in the center -hence, the name “fish eye” because of its resemblance to the eye of a fish. Many finishers incorrectly consider all indentations in the finish to be fish eye. However, in some circumstances, a coating will seep into the deep pores of the wood leaving a round indentation similar to fish eye. It is our recommendation to insure that you correctly identify that the defect is truly fish eye before taking corrective action.

What causes fish eye? Silicones and surfactants can be airborne or appear on the surface of the wood and cause unequal surface tension of the part to be coated. These compounds create a very high surface tension when compared to most coatings. Therefore, wherever the contamination is present, it will push the coating away from the center of the defect and will dam up the coating into a thick rim of material around the circumference. As this material moves away from the center of the defect, a small amount of coating will remain at the center, creating the unusual fish eye appearance.

In some situations, silicones or other contaminates cannot be eliminated from the finishing environment. To provide a solution to work around the problem, it may be necessary to use an additive in the coating to eliminate the fish eye. Generally, the composition of these additives is silicones or other surfactants that can equal the surface tension of the coating, thereby eliminating the fish eye.

Many compounds can cause the fish eye to occur, however, silicone is most often the offender. Silicone is in a vast array of products we use every day. We eat it, sleep with it, and work with products that have varying amounts of silicone in the composition of the product. Another significant property of silicone is that it has a lighter density than air and will float on air currents for very long distances. Here is a partial list of products that are a potential source of fish eye-causing contaminants:

•Personal Care Products:

•Hair spray

•Skin lotion

•Deodorants

•Make up products

•Lubricants

•Compressor oil

•WD 40 and many other spray lubricants

•Machine lubricants

•Cutting oils for machining operations

•Caulking and Adhesives

•Silicone caulking and other types of caulking with silicone additives

•Silicone adhesives

•Foods with Silicone Contamination

•Any food fried with anti-stick spray silicones, such as Pam and other name-brand products

•Deep fried foods with cooked with oils with silicone additives to prevent food from sticking together in the cooking process, such as potato chips, fries, etc.

•Cleaning and Polishing Products

•Furniture polishes, such as Pledge and other silicone based products

•Buffing and polishing compounds used for cars and other high gloss finishes

•Other Airborne Sources of Contamination

•Many diesel and auto fuels contain anti-wear additives that contain silicone

•Weather with heavy cloud cover may cause air quality to deteriorate and cause contamination to enter the spray environment

•Open doors or air make-up can cause poor air quality to enter the spray environment and cause severe fish eye to occur