talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Other Projects

Other Projects Metal work, car polishing, and other jobs where we use our tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 04:44 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Shinex is coming- Shinex is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
This is the lint filter covering the venting grill, there is one on each side. Accessed with removal of the single screw, which looks like a #2 Pozi-drive[how German] If you run with alot of felt and sheepskin pads, this will save wear and tear on the motor.
The infamous green speed control dial needs almost no explaining-:p
It does seem to be "German" to use the better fastener. Until last week I thought the fastener itself was German...

"The Pozidriv, sometimes misspelled Pozidrive, screw drive is an improved version of the Phillips screw drive. It is jointly patented by the Phillips Screw Company and American Screw Company. The name is thought to be an abbreviation of positive drive. Its advantage over Phillips drives is its decreased likelihood to cam out, which allows greater torque to be applied."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Good review, Leaky.

The Shinex looks pretty good, and I'm sure it's up to Festool's usual high quality standards. I'll likely be ordering one after my Porter Cable 7424 wears out, although there's no sign of that yet, even after 5 years of heavy use. I've really been happy with it.

I'm also very happy with the Meguiar's line of polishes, compounds, and pads. However, they do have so many different products it can be very overwhelming. I suggest visiting their site and watching their videos (helpful whether you use their products or not).

Back when I got my PC I also ordered a DVD titled "How To Use The PC For Showcar Results" with Mike Phillips. The DVD is 2 hours long and was a huge help in sorting out the different products, and how to use them. Now that I've learned a little more about what I'm doing, the kind of finish that I can get on my cars is amazing.

Mike Phillips is no longer representing Maguiar's, he can now be found here on Auto Geek. He's one of the true gurus of auto detailing.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
That looks like a very handy sized polishing tool, I may start polishing my stuff.
I'm a little surprised at how small it is. Er, uh, no Ron, I meant the Shinex. But, yes, your truck is small too.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:58 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
I'm a little surprised at how small it is. Er, uh, no Ron, I meant the Shinex. But, yes, your truck is small too.
Truck... er, yeah I'll polish that too.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I'll have to stay tuned here for recommendations for pads, polishes, etc.
I doubt I can add much to what Dan Clark has written in his 2 part post. He covers it all in-depth. So much of success in cleaning and detailing your vehicle is based on using what's worked for you, and NOT reusing or reliving what didn't.:p
From a DIY level, we won't kill any polisher or a pad for it from the infrequent amount of usage that we'd put into it as compared to a pro who's slamming cars out the door on a daily basis.
Once you find a price level and quality level you're happy with, you tend to stick with that brand since damaging the paint on your car, truck, or BOAT, would be painful on many levels.
I've used lots of pads and products over the years, I tend to give Griots Garage my money at this point since I get a kick out of what Richard Griot does for his customers, and how he runs his business. I could just as easily spend money with 3M, or someone else that's huge and established.
One side note about pad usage with the Shinex, the max size capacity is listed at 6" or 150mm. I don't know if that's to protect the machine for warranty purposes, or is a real figure that Festool would like us to abide by when polishing. Only Shane H. and company can fully answer that.
The Shinex LOOKS like it could run a 7" or 8" pad, but since I only own 6 inch pads, that's all I have to worry about in using it.
Have fun in your garage-or in Laurie's case, out in the hot sun with a HUGE side of Gelcoat to attend to...
Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
I doubt I can add much to what Dan Clark has written in his 2 part post. He covers it all in-depth. So much of success in cleaning and detailing your vehicle is based on using what's worked for you, and NOT reusing or reliving what didn't.:p
From a DIY level, we won't kill any polisher or a pad for it from the infrequent amount of usage that we'd put into it as compared to a pro who's slamming cars out the door on a daily basis.
Once you find a price level and quality level you're happy with, you tend to stick with that brand since damaging the paint on your car, truck, or BOAT, would be painful on many levels.
I've used lots of pads and products over the years, I tend to give Griots Garage my money at this point since I get a kick out of what Richard Griot does for his customers, and how he runs his business. I could just as easily spend money with 3M, or someone else that's huge and established.
One side note about pad usage with the Shinex, the max size capacity is listed at 6" or 150mm. I don't know if that's to protect the machine for warranty purposes, or is a real figure that Festool would like us to abide by when polishing. Only Shane H. and company can fully answer that.
The Shinex LOOKS like it could run a 7" or 8" pad, but since I only own 6 inch pads, that's all I have to worry about in using it.
Have fun in your garage-or in Laurie's case, out in the hot sun with a HUGE side of Gelcoat to attend to...
I did read over Dan's postings -- he's the man & very complete on details. I'll just be interested to hear your (and Laurie's) experiences with it.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Good review, Leaky.

The Shinex looks pretty good, and I'm sure it's up to Festool's usual high quality standards. I'll likely be ordering one after my Porter Cable 7424 wears out, although there's no sign of that yet, even after 5 years of heavy use. I've really been happy with it.

I'm also very happy with the Meguiar's line of polishes, compounds, and pads. However, they do have so many different products it can be very overwhelming. I suggest visiting their site and watching their videos (helpful whether you use their products or not).

Back when I got my PC I also ordered a DVD titled "How To Use The PC For Showcar Results" with Mike Phillips. The DVD is 2 hours long and was a huge help in sorting out the different products, and how to use them. Now that I've learned a little more about what I'm doing, the kind of finish that I can get on my cars is amazing.

Mike Phillips is no longer representing Maguiar's, he can now be found here on Auto Geek. He's one of the true gurus of auto detailing.

I've had good results with some of their products too. One trick I learned when I worked at a BMW dealer is to cut Meguiars plastic window polish[for those always opaque convertible rear windows made of plastic] by 50% with a very clean, mild liquid wax. You won't work the pollution off the plastic or clean the UV damage out of the plastic any faster, but you really tend to get a more "crystal clear" back window when you're done since the polish is now much finer in grit than when you started.
It's always nice to see out of the back of a once non-visible plastic window on a soft top when you're done.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Corwin,

I do not know about what Ron or anyone else has but I received my Shinex about a month ago and it is HUGE. Okay, so it is the same size as all the rest but it is not tiny.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 04-21-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
Corwin,

I do not know about what Ron or anyone else has but I received my Shinex about a month ago and it is HUGE. Okay, so it is the same size as all the rest but it is not tiny.

Fred
That a curious thing. For many, many, many years I didn't even wash my own car, there just wasn't time for those things. Now that I'm retired doing simple things like that are actually quite enjoyable.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
That a curious thing. For many, many, many years I didn't even wash my own car, there just wasn't time for those things. Now that I'm retired doing simple things like that are actually quite enjoyable.
So, let me get this straight... You are telling us that in the past you had paid others to do the polishing and now that you are older, you have to do it yourself. Well, at least you are finding it enjoyable.

(you have to know Seinfeld to fully appreciate the above link)