talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Other Projects

Other Projects Metal work, car polishing, and other jobs where we use our tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Shinex - Auto/Boat detailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post

If the Shinex works as well as expected, I would think Festool could sell them by the thousands to body shops and auto enthusiasts.
Once that starts happening, the sailors and boatyards won't be far behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post

... the great mystery of Festool WHY'S:
Why no square drive bits
Why no smaller countersink bits with depth stop than the 3.5mm[ Really, a 2.5mm isn't feasible:p]
Why Plug-It cords on some, and not others
Why does the new T-Loc only fit and lock on TOP of the older Sys[Oh, it just does, and you'll like it or else:p]
Why no Hand Sanding Blocks for the NAS market with the vacuum ports attached?[They're available in OTHER markets:smad:]
See, it goes on and on ...
I mentioned this before, but another why? is the M14 spindle on the Shinex.

Both Flex and Makita make polishers with the U.S. industry standard 5/8-11 spindle for sale in this country. Won't this be a deterrent to acceptance by professionals?

I know there are adapters for attaching accessories to the M14 spindle, but that moves them away from the body of the polisher, which is not desirable. Will M14 accessories become widely available in this country (are they already?), and will shops want to buy both to cover all their tools?

Old 04-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Quote:
*...with the possible exception of the thing UPS should be delivering today.

You mean, they sent you a tracking number?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

It's baffling to me that Festool doesn't offer its version of this here.
Equally baffling that the Mirka version is so hard to find. More pics....

Back of the box, showing the complete "System":

If I were Mirka, I'd get this thing in every store in the U.S. that carries Mirka abrasives.
They could sell them by the thousands.

The 13 foot, 3/4" hose is (OMG!!!) available on Amazonavailable on Amazon :

Plugs into my CT like they were made for each other:

Wanna see how flexible it is? Much as I love my Festool vac,
that pretty green hose is never gonna do THIS:

Max is fond of it, too:

By the way.... the Mirka mesh abrasives are PERFECT with these blocks.
Best part: No alterations necessary.

Attached Thumbnails
shinex-auto-boat-detailing-img_7253.jpg   shinex-auto-boat-detailing-img_7252.jpg   shinex-auto-boat-detailing-img_0774.jpg   shinex-auto-boat-detailing-img_7254.jpg   shinex-auto-boat-detailing-img_7262.jpg  

shinex-auto-boat-detailing-img_7272.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
It's baffling to me that Festool doesn't offer its version of this here.
Equally baffling that the Mirka version is so hard to find. More pics....

Back of the box, showing the complete "System":

If I were Mirka, I'd get this thing in every store in the U.S. that carries Mirka abrasives.
They could sell them by the thousands.

The 13 foot, 3/4" hose is (OMG!!!) available on Amazon:

Plugs into my CT like they were made for each other:

Wanna see how flexible it is? Much as I love my Festool vac,
that pretty green hose is never gonna do THIS:

Max is fond of it, too:

By the way.... the Mirka mesh abrasives are PERFECT with these blocks.
Best part: No alterations necessary.

ohhhhhh, ahhhhhhh,ohhhhhh,ahhhhhhh. droolllllllllllllllllll.
As for Max, it's clear he likes sanders of ALL kinds when they operate in the quiet mode, ie, not plugged into anything. As for the Abranet type mesh, yeah, I'm trying NOT to buy yet MORE abrasives of some other type since I own a great deal of Festool stuff as it is. I know I wouldn't need to alter my sanding block in any way if I DID buy the Mirka stuff, but still, it's getting crowded enough in my little shop as it is................
The Mirka hose, is it anti-static at all?
Oh, by the way.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
I mentioned this before, but another why? is the M14 spindle on the Shinex.

Both Flex and Makita make polishers with the U.S. industry standard 5/8-11 spindle for sale in this country. Won't this be a deterrent to acceptance by professionals?

I know there are adapters for attaching accessories to the M14 spindle, but that moves them away from the body of the polisher, which is not desirable. Will M14 accessories become widely available in this country (are they already?), and will shops want to buy both to cover all their tools?

My best guess on this is that they want to limit the foam pad size or type you're using with the machine, or, only use their backing plate/polishing pad as it's known, with ANY foam pads that you might use. Any time I've seen someone use a non-standard spindle thread for a right angle tool or similar thing, it's out of concern for warranty or aftersales loss to some one else's product. You COULD use larger velcro/hook and loop pads on the stock Festool backing plate. Its[ its its ITS] "grab" is quite strong for any pad that you attach to it.
Another thought is that they had LOTS of 14mm threaded spindles from some other tool or project to use cheaply on the Shinex!
Shane Holland confirmed the 6"max rating of the tool by the way on FOG, but that was no surprise to anyone, I think.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
ohhhhhh, ahhhhhhh,ohhhhhh,ahhhhhhh. droolllllllllllllllllll.
As for Max, it's clear he likes sanders of ALL kinds when they operate in the quiet mode, ie, not plugged into anything. As for the Abranet type mesh, yeah, I'm trying NOT to buy yet MORE abrasives of some other type since I own a great deal of Festool stuff as it is. I know I wouldn't need to alter my sanding block in any way if I DID buy the Mirka stuff, but still, it's getting crowded enough in my little shop as it is................
The Mirka hose, is it anti-static at all?
Oh, by the way.
The hose that comes with the hand sanding system is not anti-static.

Mirka does make a couple of anti-static hoses - a 32mm sold with their vac, and a 25mm included with their Deco Sander package. If you Google "Mirka Antistatic Hose 25, 4 / 32 mm x 4 m" you'll get a bunch of PDF hits with product info. Prepare to be disappointed, though... the websites are all pretty much in the UK, Japan, Europe. Of course we already knew that, but still.

On the other hand, what with you being the resourceful type and all...

You could always consider making your own:
MicroVac

Old 04-27-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
The hose that comes with the hand sanding system is not anti-static

On the other hand, what with you being the resourceful type and all...

You could always consider making your own:
MicroVac

No thanks, I had enough fun working the Fein adapter into the equation so my AS hose from Festool would "mate" with the Mirka , as such, I'm good to go. With zero mods to the pad, there's a surprising amount of air flow through the Festool paper and into the Mirka pad since the Velcro flows air pretty well.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
For a while I worked with a man who had been a Sergeant in the Marine Corp.
He said there are three steps when instructing recruits.
1. Tell them what you're fixing to tell them.
2. Tell them.
3. Tell them what you just told them.
Michael,

This made me laugh out loud. It is also a prime directive when you are in sales.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 04-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

And in academia. My advisor told me the same thing about giving talks...
Old 04-28-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
And in academia. My advisor told me the same thing about giving talks...
So... did he tell you that he was gonna tell you that before he told you?
And then did he tell you?
And then did he tell you that he told you that?