talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Other Projects

Other Projects Metal work, car polishing, and other jobs where we use our tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Inactive Member

Default Re: Metalworking help please!

I didn't read everything here, 'cept I looked at the pictures. If those A-arm pieces can be reversed, one for the other, give that a try before you ream the hole. I would also be inclined to try to take some of the error out by bending the brackets. Just don't try to take all of it out that way.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Inactive Member

The first picture is actually too close to fully identify which way the hole is out of alignment, and the second one too far away, so I am taking a few guesses.

Another idea is that the bed of the trailer could be racked (if one arm seems longer or shorter than the hole placement). If you installed the aluminum D-plate, loosen the fasteners back up and skew the frame corner-to-corner.

One thing to consider is that just because one side seems to fit nice doesn't mean it is the best fit for both sides. That's why I suggested reversing the two A-arms, and why racking the frame might also work.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:01 AM

You might try a tapered round pry bar or a tapered punch or the end of a rat tail file to see if you could work to align the holes and then file a little away.

I have a couple that I use that would potentially work, they're pry bars with a round end that tapers to a point.

Probably a bit more control than the reamer and maybe easier than the dremel in terms of getting things closer to alignment.

neil