talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Other Projects

Other Projects Metal work, car polishing, and other jobs where we use our tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 03:23 AM

Default VW Eurovan "Cargo" Camper Conversion!

After closing my company, I finally had the chance I was always waiting for!
Building my own camper van

Background:
working for www.unicat.com for several years gave me a lot of inspiration to one day get my own. Although, while living in Germany, I already owned a Unimog 1961 Nercedes Benz Unimog 404 VLF Steven Brand Of Los Angeles California Photo I never managed to outfit it....

Anyhow, this time, had a perfect platform and didn't want to let it slip again!

The goal was:
To keep the conversion as cheap as possible
To make it NOT look like a camper from the outside! (stealth camping)
To make it eco friendly, non-toxic
Designed so that two bicycles/ surf boards can be transported inside
Low center of gravity
And we wanted a HUGE bed!

I started out with putting in sub floor to have something to fasten the cabinets and floor onto.
Next was a single cabinet, made of 3/4 purebond ply, bamboo doors and a Kirei top. Hettich soft close hinges.
2 benches (77" long) with storage inside
Table top that can be lowered with a quick release base to become a sleeping platform at night. To set up the bed, there are two more pieces of ply available.
The floor is FSC certified solid bamboo T/G

There are no fancy coolers, fridges,stoves or other gadgets that would take up extra room, could break down or eat up electricity.

To cook, I attached a fold out shelf that can be reached from in and outside the van. We are using our Trangia alcohol stove.

Stuff still to do:
A sunroof
The upholstery (will get picked up installed in a couple of days)
A lock to create a "save" space in the cabinet and also to prevent it from opening while driving.
A awning. Already have the aluminum track fastened to the roof. It's just a matter of getting the tarp and poles rigged up.
Attached Thumbnails
vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p1250004.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p1250005.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3090005.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3130018.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3130020.jpg  

vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3140022.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3150002.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3150003.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3160003.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3170002.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-29-2010, 03:30 AM

Default Re: VW Eurovan "Cargo" Camper Conversion!

Took the van out for a trip up Island. At night it was close to freezing and very damp. I expected quite a bit of condensation inside but there was none!

Anyhow, here are some pics of the camping set up.
Attached Thumbnails
vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3260005.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3260002.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3260003.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3260006.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3260008.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-29-2010, 03:34 AM

Bike transport:
Attached Thumbnails
vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3190006.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3190004.jpg  
Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 AM

That looks very cool! How many man hours do you have in the construction so far?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:57 AM

Thanks!
Maybe 6 days... It was an hour or two here and there...

It's a fairly easy construction, but those stupid curved walls made it very difficult to work faster!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:15 PM

The upholstery!
Attached Thumbnails
vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3290003.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3290007.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p3290008.jpg  
Old 03-30-2010, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Looks great, Andreas!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 03-30-2010, 01:39 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Very nice Andreas.

Back in the day when 1 out of 3 cars on the road were VW's there were bazillions (plus or minus a couple ) of the old style vans around. Today it is "rare" to see any VW's in my neck of the woods.
If I remember correctly my brand new beetle (loaded, with a sun-roof) was $1,845. It cost about $3.60 to fill an empty gas tank (again, as my memory goes).
Old 03-30-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
Very nice Andreas.

Back in the day when 1 out of 3 cars on the road were VW's there were bazillions (plus or minus a couple ) of the old style vans around. Today it is "rare" to see any VW's in my neck of the woods.
If I remember correctly my brand new beetle (loaded, with a sun-roof) was $1,845. It cost about $3.60 to fill an empty gas tank (again, as my memory goes).
OMG, you must be at LEAST 150 years old
Old 03-30-2010, 01:56 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I was Adolph's road tester for the original "People's Car"