talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Other Projects

Other Projects Metal work, car polishing, and other jobs where we use our tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Default Re: VW Eurovan "Cargo" Camper Conversion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post

My wife had '67 Beetle in college and I had a '69 in grad school.
Now there's a coincidence, when we were first married, my wife also had a '67 Beetle and I had a '69.

As I said before the '67 through '70 Beetle engines had a lot of problems. Most were the result of going from the '66 1300cc engine (very reliable) to a 1500cc version without beefing up the heads and crankcase.

When the engine on my '69 started coming apart, I ordered a brand new complete '71 engine from the factory. It was a greatly improved 1600cc engine with dual-port heads, bigger valves, and of course a very strong crankcase. Both the horsepower and low-end torque were noticeably higher. That engine change made it a whole different car that we enjoyed driving for many years.

It should be noted that the Beetles may have been small and fun to drive, but they were never even close to as fuel efficient as the small engined cars built today.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
...a credit to Hitler's plan. He had the best German engineers designing ...Luger pistols...
Georg Luger patented the design in 1898. The German Army referred to it as the P08 (the year of adoption?). It was expensive to manufacture; the Walter P38 was to replace it, but the Luger remained in service until 1945.

A. Hitler was born in 1889.

Ned
(who still kicks himself that he didn't snap up that c. 1920 Luger commercial model for $25 )
Old 04-03-2010, 01:39 AM

Crazy night out...

Planed to spend two nights on a nice west coast campground... Got a HUGE windstorm overnight that brought down a lot of branches and also some trees.
Anyhow, it was pretty much a no brainer that we had to leave or otherwise risk to get peppered with branches...

Attached Thumbnails
vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p4010001.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p4010003.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p4010010.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-p4020020.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-03-2010, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

You need to allow us to see that video.

And the beach photo looks way calm compared to what I see out my window here... Hope you are staying off the water today.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-03-2010, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
You need to allow us to see that video.

And the beach photo looks way calm compared to what I see out my window here... Hope you are staying off the water today.
Thanks for the heads up! I made it public...

The current situation: http://www.bigwavedave.ca/forecasts.php?page=1
Old 04-03-2010, 03:17 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

You had the right vehicle for stormy weather, way better than being in a tent -- snug, dry & comfy!
Old 04-03-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
You had the right vehicle for stormy weather, way better than being in a tent -- snug, dry & comfy!

You are correct Sir! It was very nice to spend time inside the van. This was also the first time Carol was camping in it.

BTW, I really forgot the bag with her cloths at home...
Old 05-20-2010, 06:22 AM

The Van is for sale!
Send me a PM if interested...