talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Other Projects

Other Projects Metal work, car polishing, and other jobs where we use our tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: VW Eurovan "Cargo" Camper Conversion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
At last, something I can speak about with a little authority.

In the late 60s I worked in a VW shop, apprenticing under a couple of very tough Germans, who were trained in the "old country". By the time I left there I could completely rebuild two engines a day, start to finish, including valve grinding and head resurfacing.

The valve stretching was not caused by improper adjustment, it was the material they were made of. The elongating of the valves caused the lash to reduce and the need for more frequent adjustment. Tight valves reduce the length of time they are closed, lessening the amount of time to transfer heat to the head. The result is often burned valves.

On the other hand, valves that required adjustment too frequently meant the valves were stretching to the point where the valve head could break off, and trash the piston and cylinder. We saw that a lot. At that point, we would try to prevent such a catastrophy (albeit a profitable one ) by recommending replacing the valves with a newer style made from a better material.

67 through 70 models also had a problem with a weak aluminum alloy in the crankcase. After a while, the studs that held the heads on would pull right out of the crankcase, allowing the heads to come loose. In those days it was very common to hear VWs (Beetles, Busses, and Pickups) driving around with the "pop, pop, pop" sound of the combustion leaking from the heads. In fact, it almost became their "trademark sound".

I'd buy another one of those little guys today too. (Assuming it had the new style valves and new alloy crankcase ).
Wow!
Old 03-30-2010, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

Wow!
Keep in mind, I was much younger then, and 3 phase was not an issue.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:08 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I could see the "two per day" rate -- they really are brilliantly engineered and easy to work on once you understand them. I hate to say it this way but it really was a credit to Hitler's plan. He had the best German engineers designing all of those things (Luger pistols, knives, etc.) for his people to have after they won the war.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I had 2 VWs. The first was a '67 Squareback that ran like a bat outa hell. It was the last year of the twin carbs for the Squareback - they went to fuel injection in '68. Mine had a big dent in the front when I bought it (for $375), so I used to "dress it up" for Halloween by sticking a rubber hand in the trunk lid gap and covering the front with fake blood spatters. Campus security did an investigation the first time...

The second was a '75 Rabbit that I bought new. That was the car I drove all over the US camping for 6 weeks on about a $600 budget. Gas was about $4/day and I bought food at farm stands, camped in state & national parks and a few KOAs. It was a great car once they finished all the carburator mods.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:40 AM

Amazing how many of you guys have fond memories with VW's! Very cool

Well, I will keep living the dream! Suckers
Old 03-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

... I hate to say it this way but it really was a credit to Hitler's plan. He had the best German engineers designing all of those things (Luger pistols, knives, etc.) for his people to have after they won the war.
Well he certainly found a pretty good engineer for his "People's Car", some guy named Dr. Ferdinand Porsche.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:06 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

They were designing for their lives! That would tend to make you check your slide rule twice, err three times for each calculation...
Old 03-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

They were designing for their lives! That would tend to make you check your slide rule twice, err three times for each calculation...
Not well known is that Dr. Porsche was arrested by the French at the end of the war, and spent nearly two years in prison.

Speaking of automobiles, did anyone ever imagine that Volvos would one day be built in China? The Swedes must be overjoyed about that.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:32 PM

Did anyone ever imagine that most of our products would be made in china and that they would be lending us money?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:00 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

My wife had '67 Beetle in college and I had a '69 in grad school. The '67 had been souped up somehow (bigger or extra carb?) and it was a lot of fun to drive. One of my roommates had an old bathtub Porshe and it was even more fun to drive.