talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Other Projects

Other Projects Metal work, car polishing, and other jobs where we use our tools.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2010, 02:00 AM
Mirko's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 408
Default Re: VW Eurovan "Cargo" Camper Conversion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
Very nice Andreas.

Back in the day when 1 out of 3 cars on the road were VW's there were bazillions (plus or minus a couple ) of the old style vans around. Today it is "rare" to see any VW's in my neck of the woods.
If I remember correctly my brand new beetle (loaded, with a sun-roof) was $1,845. It cost about $3.60 to fill an empty gas tank (again, as my memory goes).
So what year beetle was it? Based on the price, I bet it was 67'
With a steel roll back sun roof.

Great cars.

Mirko
__________________
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2010, 02:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Posts: 4,820
Default Re: VW Eurovan "Cargo" Camper Conversion!

1968.

They were wonderful cars. They had a couple of quirks - exhaust valves would stretch in two after around 70,000 if they weren't adjusted properly and (for those of us in snow country) the heater boxes were right next to the rear tires and slush from the tires would cool the hot air so it came out warm.

I'd buy an exact new copy if they were available today...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2010, 02:43 AM
joraft's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Fernando Valley (SoCal)
Posts: 6,575
Default Re: VW Eurovan "Cargo" Camper Conversion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post

So what year beetle was it? Based on the price, I bet it was 67'
With a steel roll back sun roof.

Great cars.
My 69 Beetle was $1950, no sun roof. It was cobalt blue, and came with all white interior . But there were no other choices.

For an extra $100, the dealer swapped the whole interior with a Beige model that came in all black. Much better.

I loved that car.
__________________
John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2010, 02:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Posts: 4,820
Default Re: VW Eurovan "Cargo" Camper Conversion!

Another option that I didn't get but wished I had was the swing-out rear windows -- sort of like a vent window (remember when cars had vent windows???) the VW window would swing out about 3" at the rear. With the sun roof that would have been like flow through air conditioning.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2010, 03:13 AM
joraft's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Fernando Valley (SoCal)
Posts: 6,575
Default Re: VW Eurovan "Cargo" Camper Conversion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

... They had a couple of quirks - exhaust valves would stretch in two after around 70,000 if they weren't adjusted properly ...

I'd buy an exact new copy if they were available today...
At last, something I can speak about with a little authority.

In the late 60s I worked in a VW shop, apprenticing under a couple of very tough Germans, who were trained in the "old country". By the time I left there I could completely rebuild two engines a day, start to finish, including valve grinding and head resurfacing.

The valve stretching was not caused by improper adjustment, it was the material they were made of. The elongating of the valves caused the lash to reduce and the need for more frequent adjustment. Tight valves reduce the length of time they are closed, lessening the amount of time to transfer heat to the head. The result is often burned valves.

On the other hand, valves that required adjustment too frequently meant the valves were stretching to the point where the valve head could break off, and trash the piston and cylinder. We saw that a lot. At that point, we would try to prevent such a catastrophy (albeit a profitable one ) by recommending replacing the valves with a newer style made from a better material.

67 through 70 models also had a problem with a weak aluminum alloy in the crankcase. After a while, the studs that held the heads on would pull right out of the crankcase, allowing the heads to come loose. In those days it was very common to hear VWs (Beetles, Busses, and Pickups) driving around with the "pop, pop, pop" sound of the combustion leaking from the heads. In fact, it almost became their "trademark sound".

I'd buy another one of those little guys today too. (Assuming it had the new style valves and new alloy crankcase ).
__________________
John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2010, 03:43 AM
ecofurniture's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 829
Default Re: VW Eurovan "Cargo" Camper Conversion!

Our old one...
Attached Thumbnails
vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-kayaking-galiano-isl-007.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2010, 03:54 AM
Mirko's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 408
Default Re: VW Eurovan "Cargo" Camper Conversion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofurniture View Post
Our old one...
Galiano.. nice!
__________________
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2010, 04:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Posts: 4,820
Default Re: VW Eurovan "Cargo" Camper Conversion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
At last, something I can speak about with a little authority.

In the late 60s I worked in a VW shop, apprenticing under a couple of very tough Germans, who were trained in the "old country". By the time I left there I could completely rebuild two engines a day, start to finish, including valve grinding and head resurfacing.

The valve stretching was not caused by improper adjustment, it was the material they were made of. The elongating of the valves caused the lash to reduce and the need for more frequent adjustment. Tight valves reduce the length of time they are closed, lessening the amount of time to transfer heat to the head. The result is often burned valves.

On the other hand, valves that required adjustment too frequently meant the valves were stretching to the point where the valve head could break off, and trash the piston and cylinder. We saw that a lot. At that point, we would try to prevent such a catastrophy (albeit a profitable one ) by recommending replacing the valves with a newer style made from a better material.

67 through 70 models also had a problem with a weak aluminum alloy in the crankcase. After a while, the studs that held the heads on would pull right out of the crankcase, allowing the heads to come loose. In those days it was very common to hear VWs (Beetles, Busses, and Pickups) driving around with the "pop, pop, pop" sound of the combustion leaking from the heads. In fact, it almost became their "trademark sound".

I'd buy another one of those little guys today too. (Assuming it had the new style valves and new alloy crankcase ).
You are right, I mis-spoke about the "cause", the frequent adjustment was to monitor what was happening with the valves.
As you probably saw many, Mine did in fact stretch in two. At ~60MPH it rattled around enough to put a hole in the piston, bend a connecting rod, deeply score the cylinder, etc, etc, etc.
I wasn't a motor-head but I did (as a teenager) rebuild a few engines so I figured I would save money and rebuild the VW myself. Once I dropped the engine out & started to tear in down I found that it was more like tearing a wrist watch apart than any V8 that I had ever worked on. The crankcase splits right down the middle and heads, cylinders and most everything else comes apart. For less than $70. I think I bought a new cylinder, piston, rings, bearings and all of the assorted parts that I needed. That also included all new valves (the new & improved alloy ones) of course. With the repair manual (called something like "How to maintain your VW beetle for idiots") and patience I rebuilt the engine, put it back in the car and it purred like a kitten for ever more...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2010, 04:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Posts: 4,820
Default Re: VW Eurovan "Cargo" Camper Conversion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofurniture View Post
Our old one...
That is a SWEET ride there Eco. You probably said but I missed it, what year is it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2010, 05:13 AM
ecofurniture's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 829
Default Re: VW Eurovan "Cargo" Camper Conversion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
That is a SWEET ride there Eco. You probably said but I missed it, what year is it?
It was a '78. Apparently the best year in terms of engine and transmission.
Loved that van! But like with everything else old, the rust and fixing up made us selling it... There was always the question if we would make it to our destination
Attached Thumbnails
vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-lola08.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-lola13.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-may-tour-bus-004.jpg   vw-eurovan-cargo-camper-conversion-may-tour-bus-031.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:56 AM.