talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Other Projects

Other Projects Metal work, car polishing, and other jobs where we use our tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 05:13 AM
Founding Member

Default Polishing Stone and Tile

Craig and I veered off topic in this thread about http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/creati...ft-router.html. I decided to move part of the thread here to discuss it more.

This thread is about bullnosing and polishing stone tile. The Festool sanders are part of the solution. Below immediately below is my response to Craig's post:
Quote:
Hey Ned
Im just kicking ideas around in my head. The mft router table idea kind of spawned from another router table insert I made. I used some expensive phenolic plywood for it and it slides super nice.

The main reason I even considered the mft router combo is for in the field.

Today I went looking for an entirely different router Flex Edge Milling Machine up to 1-1/4" Thickness | Edge Millers from Master Wholesale, Inc. Wishing i could rent one !!!!!

Craig
Regards,

Dan.

-------

Craig,

Interesting... I'm going to use with this Alpha Profiler Profile Wheel :: Granite City Tool to bullnose some limestone. I also bought this guy Amazon.com: Makita PW5001C 7.9 Amp 4-Inch...Amazon.com: Makita PW5001C 7.9 Amp 4-Inch... to drive it.

The only thing I'm wrestling with is whether to use my grinder and dry diamond pads, or buy a set of wet diamond pads for the polishing step. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Dan.

Last edited by DanClark; 04-23-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-23-2009, 05:36 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: MFT router

Craig,

Interesting... On Saturday, I'm picking up a 3/16 Profile Wheel from Master Wholesale to use with this Makita PW5001C 7.9 Amp 4-Inch polisher Makita PW5001C 7.9 Amp 4-Inch polisher that I ordered today. I'm going to use with this to bullnose some limestone. (Pics below.)

The only thing I'm wrestling with is whether to use my grinder and dry diamond pads, or buy a set of wet diamond pads for the polishing step. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Dan.

Last edited by DanClark; 04-23-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-23-2009, 09:18 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to charimon
Default Re: MFT router

Dan
First question Who makes your pads? and are they dry only? Most stone diamond pads that can be used dry can also be used wet. That makita is a great little polisher the only problem /issue for me with it is the water Quick connect that is supposed to be "readly available" isnt
You can go dry with limestone but you will have dust. also it is hard to get and KEEP a high polish with the material on wear surfaces. but i am guessing you knew that.

Master wholesale has some cool things.

Craig
Old 04-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Founding Member

Question Re: MFT router

Craig,

About the quick disconnect... I thought I could jump over to Lowes and pick up one. It looks like a Gardena disconnect will work. While I'm at MW on Saturday, I'll see if they carry it.

My pads are the "RockMaster" dry and "ADT Dry" pads. The RockMaster are MW's house brand. They told me it was dry only.

The "ADT Dry" pads say "Dry" on the pad and the center hole is a bit of a concern - it's about 3/8" rather than the more standard 1/2"+ hole in most pad. I'm a little concerned that enough water would get to the surface.

What I'm after is a fast, efficient way to hone edges on freshly-cut limestone. This includes 1) adding a 1/16 bevel to match the factory edges and 2) to add a 3/16 bullnose on some edges.

I've done both, but it's a slow, tedius process. I've been creating the small bevels with a hand diamond sponges. The result has been OK, but it takes a lot of time when dealing with hundreds of cut-down stone tiles.

Using the dry pads and with carefully drawn lines, I've gotten an acceptable soft 3/16 beveled bullnose. Typically, I'll get the basic shape with a 50 grit pad, followed by final shaping with a 100 grit pad. Following that with 200, 400, and 800 grit pads gives a shiny, glazed surface.

To tone down the polished surface some, I've tried polishing with 400-600 grit Stone Tech polishing powder on a felt pad attached to my RO150. That worked, but it was messy and time consuming.

Another alternative that works somewhat better and faster is follow the polishing step by sanding the edge with Brilliant2 240 or 320 grit paper on my RTS400. The upside is that it's pretty fast and dustless. But it has some downsides...

While the 240 grit paper doesn't clog too badly, the result is a too dull (doesn't match the factory hone). The 320 gives a pretty good result, but the Brilliant2 paper clogs quickly and the sandpaper wears out quickly.

My next move will be to try Titan2 320. It is supposed to have anti-clog properties. The downside is that the Titan2 320 is almost $50/box. That's a tad expensive just to try out one sheet.

Going back to wet pads... I have not experience with them. Do you know if they will give a better honed surface at the lower grits like 400? I.e., better color, fewer scratch marks, without the shiny, glazed surface?

Regards,

Dan.

The best alternative would be Silicon Carbide paper that fits Festool sanders, but that's not available.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:09 AM

Default Re: Polishing Stone and Tile

Ok as i understand it you want to put a 1/16 bevel on freshly cut limestone is it a 45 deg or different.
do i remember you saying you have a De Walt tile saw?

if you do that may be the easiest way to but a bevel on. let me look at mine tomorrow when i am at the job site to see if my idea will work.

thanks Craig
Old 04-24-2009, 05:25 AM
Founding Member

Craig,

The 45 degree bevel is relatively easy to create. It's so small that a few swipes of a 100, then 200, then 400 grit diamond sponge usually do it. But sometimes you miss and round off the corner. Or it isn't even. Which means diddling with it. And then you have to do on 3-4 sides. Overall it's time consuming. Which = hassle.

I found that trying to create 45 degree bevels on my tile saw is more hassle than doing it by hand. The problem is that there's some blade deflection with a cut this small. Even with a 3/16 bevel it's difficult to get it even.

I'm thinking about using some sort of jig and my RO150, or maybe polisher to make it faster. I.e., lock down the RO or polisher, line up a jig and slide the tile against the fixed RO or polisher (rather than push the RO or Polisher against a fixed tile).

It seems like polishing stone is one of those hassles that most tile professionals try to avoid.

Thanks,

Dan.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:08 PM

Dan how man y edges do you need to bevel.The underlying questiom is it enough of them to justify the time to build a jig to position your makita?

let me know
Craig
Old 04-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Founding Member

Craig,

I'm still finalizing the design. Maybe 80 to 200 edges.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Founding Member

Craig,

I think I found the "silver bullet", at least for getting the bull nose hone to be the same as the factory hone. After using either 400 or 800 grit (I'm trying to fine tune this), I used Titan2 320 on my RO150 to remove the shine. It doesn't clog and the resulting surface is almost an exact duplicate of the original surface hone!

FYI, while at the Seattle Woodcraft yesterday, a fellow told me that using Festool sanders on stone could void the warranty. I'm not worried about this too much because my RO150 is almost out of warranty anyway and it's only being used as a last step to remove the surface shine. I

In any case, it looks like there's an open question about using Festool sanders on stone.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:22 PM

Good to hear Dan.

that isnt too many edges you may want to consider something like this in a homemade version to speed things up. it can be wood as you are working dry and only using it once.
Craig