talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Other Projects

Other Projects Metal work, car polishing, and other jobs where we use our tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Polishing Your Car With Rotex - Part 2

Hi Steve. The reason the Rotex works well for polishing is it's rotary mode. The ETS only has the random orbit mode, and will be very slow work. It'll probably do very little cutting.
I'd suggest trying the 3M foam polishing pads on your Rotex. They have hook and loop connection, and you could trim them to the desired diameter.

Buffing Pads, Buff Pads, For Buffing, Compounding Pads, Polishing Pads, Foam, Wool, Wool Blend, Double Sided, Single Sided, Quick Connect
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-17-2012, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Polishing Your Car With Rotex - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
I have searched several forums for an answer to this but can't find it: Can you use the Festool ETS 150/3 or 5 instead of the rotex? I have a small rotex and the ETS 150/5. I don't want to take a chance on screwing up the paint but if I understand it correctly, it would be fine but lack some of the power of the rotex. Am I reading it right?
I used this method for years until I bought my Festool Shinex polisher, which is rotary and faster than a Random Orbit Sander.
By carefully choosing your pads and the polishing compounds, you can work gently or fast. The Rotary Machines will handle bad defects or poor surfaces faster, but also have the risk of damaging paint if the user isn't careful.
I use pads from either Festool or Griots Garage. Dan Clark and many others favor Lake County.
I now finally have a 6" Rotex, but will not use it for polishing since I already own the 6"/150 Shinex.
Have fun with your car.