talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Project and tool-related topics that don't fit elsewhere - hardware, wood, glue, paint, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

Default Hearing protection

My birthday is coming up, and my wife and daughter sneakily asked me what I wanted (I didn't realize I was being asked...). I travel a fair bit on planes, and have been considering getting some noise-cancelling headphones or earbuds.

So Gillian dragged (under false pretenses) down to the Bose and Sony stores at a local mall to try out the noise-cancelling features.

Wow!

I ended up getting these:

Bose | QuietComfort® 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones | Noise Cancelling Headphones

They're amazing! You can plug them into an iPod or other music player if you want. I just tried them attached to nothing. I just put them in my ears and turned them on. There's a little button on the volume control on the cord to switch them on and off.

I turned them on, and then switched on my sander (ETS125) and CTMini/cyclone combo. I could hardly hear it. When I pushed the little button to turn the noise cancelling off, it was quite unpleasant.

I tried using my usual hearing protection (in-ear foam system with a head band - I can't recall the name, but I got them through here - I'll look it up if anyone cares). The Bose earbuds were slightly better. But they had the advantage that they didn't slip when I tilted my head down, they're very small and light, and you can turn them off without removing them so you can hear the radio once you've finished sanding.

I haven't tried them hooked up to a music player, but I'm guessing that it's even more impressive. Now I can hear music and listen to the radio while I sand! Yay!

I'm just so impressed with these guys. Thought I'd share.

And yes, they're REALLY expensive!

But they work...
Old 05-05-2014, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Hearing protection

Thanks for posting this -I've wondered about their effectiveness in the shop. Now just need to find the funds.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-05-2014, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

Yes - they ain't cheap. But they have a good warranty, and I think I'm going to be very happy with them. And - unlike Festool - the new rubber pieces aren't very expensive!
Old 05-05-2014, 01:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Peter,

We bought some of the Bose headphones years ago and then replaced them when one went bad. By the way, if you live near a store and they fail out of warranty, they seem to give you a (great) deal on replacement units. I've used mine with my iPhone so I could get calls while listening to music, but I've always been concerned about the wire(s). I've tucked them inside my shirt and/or apron, but eventually it seems there's always wire hanging out somewhere. With a sander, probably no big deal, but with a lot of other power tools, well ..................

Redwood Journal: Why You Should Never Wear Loose Clothes Around a Big Jointer: A Cautionary Tale
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

That's a really important point about the wires, Mike. I've worried about that, too. They do come with a small clip so you can clip the wire closer to your shirt, but there's still some hanging out. Perhaps I'll rig something to go over my shoulder from the back...
Old 05-05-2014, 11:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

I've fed the wires thru my shirt before.....
Old 05-06-2014, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

Through the shirt is definitely preferable to through the chest...
Old 05-06-2014, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I just use foam earplugs. The voices in my head are easier to understand.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 05-06-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
I just use foam earplugs. The voices in my head are easier to understand.

I was considering some noise canceling headphones to use in the workshop, but I'd read that they weren't so good with higher frequency noises. Have you tried them with a saw going, Poto?
Old 05-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't tried them with the saw yet, Chris. I'm finishing up (literally) a project, and I didn't want to get sawdust in the finish. Hopefully this weekend - I'll let you know.

Up until now I've used something like these:

AmazonAmazon

They work really well, except that they fall off my head when I look down, and they're REALLY loud if you happen to bump them on something hard. They're certainly better than just the foam plugs, which is what I used to use.

I'm hoping that the Bose earbuds will do just as well with the high-frequency sounds. It's clear, though, that they work best on the low-frequency rumbles.