talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Project and tool-related topics that don't fit elsewhere - hardware, wood, glue, paint, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Hearing protection

Twenty IQ points? Sweet, I could double mine just by buying those earphones!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Here's the funny thing: I don't have an iPod! I have nothing to hook them up to. They just quiet outside noise. I wore them in my office the other day, and I'm pretty sure my IQ went up about 20 points! It was amazing how much easier it was to concentrate.
Do you mean the noise canceling works even if they have no power source? Or are they just good at muffling the sound?

Rutager,...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

They have a built-in power source and microphone, Chris. You don't have to plug them in to anything - they work just by themselves (and really well, too!).

And Rutager: Yes - you should buy a pair.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

... I have nothing to hook them up to.

... I'm pretty sure my IQ went up about 20 points!
I'm just wondering how intelligent you LOOK while wearing headphones hooked up to nothing.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

About the same as people talking loudly to themselves while walking along the street. Or sitting in chairs in the airport.

There's still a wire that goes down to the battery pack (which may have some computer in it - I don't know where the processing is done). So nobody would know there's nothing on the other end. It's just so nice and quiet (I have them on now...)
Old 05-15-2014, 04:52 AM

When it comes to hearing, I have never really tried that hard to protect it. I worked on road construction projects for 34 1/2 years and made sawdust over the years with little to no hearing protection. I had a hearing test when I was in high school and I was told after the test that I had hearing loss. I went of r anew test this past Friday, and when finished, I was told that I had normal hearing. There is a little loss in higher frequencies, but overall, the doctor told me my hearing was fine. Granted, the methods used in high school involved sitting at a cafeteria table and being administered the test while several other students were sitting at the same table talking and carrying on. Friday's test was much better with the use of an anechoic chamber to minimize extraneous noise. The only hearing protectors I can use are the headphone muff type. The little foam protectors will not fit into my ears and stay there until i take them out.

Now if I could just get my wife to face me when she is trying to tell me something, then I would not have to say WHAT all of the time and YOU NEED TO SPEAK LOUDER, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!
Old 05-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinGiersberg View Post

Now if I could just get my wife to face me when she is trying to tell me something, then I would not have to say WHAT all of the time and YOU NEED TO SPEAK LOUDER, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!
I spent thousands of hours behing 540-980 cu.in. engines with straight pipes and only foam plugs and a helmet for hearing protection. Based on your assessment, my hearing is also normal.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959