talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Project and tool-related topics that don't fit elsewhere - hardware, wood, glue, paint, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Hearing protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

I was considering some noise canceling headphones to use in the workshop, but I'd read that they weren't so good with higher frequency noises.
I now must use some sort of noise canceling equipment 24/7.

(Did I mention that my wife recently retired )

Old 05-06-2014, 06:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

These are the ones I use and they work great for all frequencies.

Bose | QuietComfort® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones | Noise Cancelling Headphones

The downside to them is on warm days. After a while your ears get toasty.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

I checked those out too, Mike, but decided to go with the ear buds. They're so much easier to pack for plane trips (which I do a fair bit).

And, as it turns out, you can sleep with the ear buds in.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:18 AM

Question, do the noise canceling headphones actually protect your hearing?

I got a real cheap set for on the airplane, and I can tell no difference with them on or off- heard good things about the Bose units.

In the shop, I have a stereo playing and just put on earmuffs when using loud tools- can't hear the stereo then, but maybe it's better not to have another distraction when using loud dangerous tools?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-07-2014, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

Point well taken, Rutager. I haven't actually hooked them up to a sound system (don't have one, and Gillian won't lend me her iPod), so I'm using them without any distraction. It certainly feels like they're protecting my hearing...
Old 05-07-2014, 05:10 AM

I tried using an IPod hooked up to earplugs in the shop. Like Alex reports, they dull the voices in your head. Unfortunately, my voices were suggesting to measure twice....
Old 05-07-2014, 07:42 AM

A friend of mine has those Bose QuietComforts and uses them on flights. The first time using them on a plane, he had them on for most of the flight. When he turned them off when preparing for landing, he was shocked at how noisy it was.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

They're pretty amazing all right, Chris.

And I discovered last night that they mask the sound of snoring. It's unfortunate that they're not comfortable for sleeping on your side. Otherwise I'd wear them all night!
Old 05-11-2014, 03:06 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
Question, do the noise canceling headphones actually protect your hearing?
They'd protect against ambient noise, their purpose, but if you've got the iPod set at 11...

But seriously...I'm certain they would give protection. Older technology tries to block the sound waves, noise cancelation actually negates them. If it sounds softer it really is less harmful, in both cases.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Here's the funny thing: I don't have an iPod! I have nothing to hook them up to. They just quiet outside noise. I wore them in my office the other day, and I'm pretty sure my IQ went up about 20 points! It was amazing how much easier it was to concentrate.