talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Project and tool-related topics that don't fit elsewhere - hardware, wood, glue, paint, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 10:33 PM

Default Restoring a Columbian Front Vise Question

I just picked up a Columbian 9-RD face vise, the leadscrew is affixed to the tee that holds the handle with a slightly riveted pin this is through the front jaw. I want to take these apart to derust and repaint all the components. Also to buff the screw. Anyone have expertise in removing these parts, my current plan is to grind the peen off and make a new pin to reassemble it.

Thanks Guys,
Trevor Walsh
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Restoring a Columbian Front Vise Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorWalsh View Post
I just picked up a Columbian 9-RD face vise, the leadscrew is affixed to the tee that holds the handle with a slightly riveted pin this is through the front jaw. I want to take these apart to derust and repaint all the components. Also to buff the screw. Anyone have expertise in removing these parts, my current plan is to grind the peen off and make a new pin to reassemble it.

Thanks Guys,
Trevor Walsh
Trevor,

I have never worked with one of the Columbian vise but if you could post some pictures that would help all of us take a shot at helping. In addition I just can't wait to see the vise.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-24-2010, 02:30 AM

Okay, I solved my own problem with the exact method I proposed doing in my above post. I just have to make a new pin, maybe in brass. I also need to make a new pin for the dog, but they will be easy. I cleaned everything, I still need to rework the slides and degunk the screw, I want them nice and polished.

I went with a Record inspired blue, I'll see if I like it. It might be a little too toyish, we''ll have to see what it looks like next to shiny metal. So here are some pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
restoring-columbian-front-vise-question-dscf1456.jpg   restoring-columbian-front-vise-question-dscf1458.jpg  
Old 10-24-2010, 02:51 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Nice job!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Okay, I solved my own problem with the exact method I proposed doing in my above post. I just have to make a new pin, maybe in brass. I also need to make a new pin for the dog, but they will be easy. I cleaned everything, I still need to rework the slides and degunk the screw, I want them nice and polished.

I went with a Record inspired blue, I'll see if I like it. It might be a little too toyish, we''ll have to see what it looks like next to shiny metal. So here are some pictures...
Trevor,

Really nice job. I am looking forward to seeing the end result. What kind of wood are you going to use for the chop?

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 10-25-2010, 01:40 AM

I've got the thing together, I'm fairly happy with it. I like the color, only problem is some flaking. I may strip it at a later date and epoxy paint or have it powder-coated. I made a brass pin to reattach the handle tee to the leadscrew.

For the chop I'm going to use either a chunk of 2by or some 8/4 Mysterywood. Chops are consumable, and the location I'm putting it is for the short term. I've been struggling over whether or not I wan to sell my South Bend 9A metal lathe and tooling, and I think I am, so I can put a serious woodworking bench and wall hung tool cabinet in it's spot.
Attached Thumbnails
restoring-columbian-front-vise-question-dscf1460.jpg   restoring-columbian-front-vise-question-dscf1462.jpg  
Old 10-25-2010, 02:28 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
I've got the thing together, I'm fairly happy with it. I like the color, only problem is some flaking. I may strip it at a later date and epoxy paint or have it powder-coated. I made a brass pin to reattach the handle tee to the leadscrew.

For the chop I'm going to use either a chunk of 2by or some 8/4 Mysterywood. Chops are consumable, and the location I'm putting it is for the short term. I've been struggling over whether or not I wan to sell my South Bend 9A metal lathe and tooling, and I think I am, so I can put a serious woodworking bench and wall hung tool cabinet in it's spot.
It looks even better now that it's together!

A few years ago I had that same struggle. At the time I was doing my "day job" 60-70 hours a week & just didn't have the time to do any hobby work (mostly gunsmithing) so I sold most all of my machines. Now that I have the time I would enjoy doing some metal work again although I'm enjoying learning & doing woodworking and I have friends that let me use their machine shop for metal work -- the problem there is catching particular machines in between production jobs.
At one point I considered building a larger workshop to accommodate a metal shop and a woodshop but decided that I really enjoyed more working mostly with hand tools so that is where I'm developing my skills.
Your "new" vise and workbench are the very heart of working with tools that don't have tails.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:04 AM

Ronwen, that's exactly my thinking, I still do some metalwork, but that's irons, and I'm looking at reproducing several planes. I have access at machine tools at the shop where I teach so I can take some work in there with me. For the planes I'm going to repop, mostly I'd be making lever cap and other knurled screws, from brass. Those I can turn on a wood lathe and tap with die stocks.

Just a teaser of the planes on my list, in order of desire to complete...

-40B [Infill] Butt Mortise Plane
-Rabbet Block Plane
-Stanley #212 Small Scraping Plane
-Small Smoother (debating between Speirs type unhandled and an infillish Stanley #1)
-Dovetailed Miter/Stanley #50 inspired chute plane
-Bailey Pattern Makers Core-Box Plane
Old 03-25-2012, 06:58 PM

I just discovered I have an old Columbia labeled 9R -18. it needs cleadning a repair. Any suggestions about firther information about this tool?

I also discovered I have another face vise labeled BS1 and PS2 that has a long leg that is adjustable via a pin. AAny information for this unit will also be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-30-2013, 03:46 AM

I have a 5 CD how did you get the guide rods off they turn but wont come out after i took the keeper off the back.

Tags
columbia vise, vise