talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Meet the Members

Meet the Members Meet your fellow members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 04:09 PM

Default Newbie to woodworking and this forum...

Stumbled across the forum while doing some searching on the new fandangled KerferDude... oh wait... KerfMaker guy from Bridge City Tools... However since I've recently discovered an addiction to making sawdust I figured I'd stay a while.

Name: Tim McKenzie
How I pay for my tools: I.S. department of Carolinas Healthcare System + selling drums

Up until now any "woodworking" has involved putting on a glass smooth finish, cutting edges on a router, and popping a few holes in cylinders to make them into drums. Handiwork can be viewed here: http://www.mckenziedrums.com

My first ever fine woodworking project is just about to be finished... Built a jewelry box for my wife from one of the plans available at WoodCraft. (Their idea of easy and mine are vastly different apparently...) Attached photos are from yesterday. Got the drawers sitting outside in clamps.

No Festool products in the shop (garage...) yet but I've been eyeballing a few and wanted to make sure I could justify buying them before pulling the trigger.
Attached Thumbnails
newbie-woodworking-forum-sideangleunfinished.jpg   newbie-woodworking-forum-frontunfinished.jpg   newbie-woodworking-forum-sealedlid.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Newbie to woodworking and this forum...

Welcome, Tim! You'll fit right in here. As I mentioned in another post, we're masters at rationalizing expensive tool purchases, so please let us know how we can help.

Nice job on the jewelry box. How'd you do the curves? Router template?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:36 PM

Actually freehanded on a band saw... The legs had a template but that was it. The lid is considerably better than the curves around the bottom as I'd learned from previous mistakes and had better control of my work piece by then. Smoothed it down with a combination of a drum sander and a sanding wheel on a table saw. To draw the curves I marked the end points, had a buddy bend a metal ruler into a curve, and drew the line. Super high tech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Founding Member

Tim,

Welcome aboard! I took a look at your website. You do very nice work!

Regarding justifying new tools and making sawdust...

As Potosan mentioned, we are past-masters at justifying spending the long green for the short green (and black) tools. However, I'm not familiar with this "sawdust" that you mention. Is that the funny-lookin' stuff that's in my CT22 bags when they are full?!?

Setting frivolity aside (for a second), we are Festool fans... But not fan-boys (and girl). Each of us has specific needs and constraints. And we recognize that the "best" tool for someone else will depend on that person's specific needs and constraints.

Sometimes the best tool is Festool. Other times it's a non-Festool power tool. Or "best" could be a hand tool. We discuss these tools to understand their strengths and weaknesses, to discover new ways of using them, and to present different options. In the end, if you are happy with a tool purchase, that's the only important thing.

Best regards,

Dan.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the compliments Dan! I ran a forum dedicated to tuning Subaru's for a while so I can appreciate the work that goes into keeping one going for what you enjoy.

Naturally the Domino captured my attention the first time I saw videos of it being used. The emphasis on dust collection was a huge advantage of the Festool products as well considering my relatively tiny workspace and my wife's preference to 0 sawdust in the garage... Though I swear every woodworking project wastes entirely too much wood by turning it into chips and dust. I need to plan out a few projects and make sure one of them requires a tool I don't have... that's always a good trick! Especially if it's for the house. Shoe rack here I come!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:47 PM

Here ya go... with 10000% more drawers...

I'm on the fence on whether to build up the clear more or not... Chances are I probably will just from being picky about having a smoother finish. Truthfully I should have busted out the grain filler on the wenge but originally I wasn't planning on such a high gloss. A little grain showing through won't hurt my feelings too much. Clear it curing at the moment so I won't be able to wet sand and buff for about a week.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:03 AM

Tim

That looks great! If you have the time and are so inclined, it would be very cool if you could do a tutorial on some of the great finishes you're producing on your drums and, for example, this jewelry box. That is one area where I feel I need to strengthen my abilities and you're certainly got it down!

Jay
Old 07-14-2009, 12:20 AM

Yea... Sorta learned woodworking backwards I guess. As for this one I did exactly as described in that thread I posted in the finishing forum. Used a $20 hvlp gun from harbor freight actually. The top coat is Target Coatings Emtech 9300. It's a little overkill for an interior piece but it's what I had handy and I think it sprays well.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:06 AM

Jay... if you'd like I can give a quick tutorial for the after the spraying as well. That's when the magic happens.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
Jay... if you'd like I can give a quick tutorial for the after the spraying as well. That's when the magic happens.
Tim

You bet!

Jay