talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Meet the Members

Meet the Members Meet your fellow members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 11:33 PM

Default What's up all.

Hello everyone,

I've been brow beat into introducing myself. My name is Darren Brown. I live in Tolland, CT in a tiny little cape in the country with my wife and two kids age 7 and 9. At night I support my woodworking habbit by working as a Medical Technologist in a Flow Cytometry laboratory. Don't ask me to explain what that is unless it's very late and you've run out of Ambien. During the day I usually workout, then spend a couple hours in the shop. I've been abusing wood for about 8 years, but have become heavily addicted for the last four. I mostly use power tools, but I have a "jewelry box" full of Lie Nielsen tools which looks really cool above my workbench. It impresses the shop guests. Sometimes I actually use them. I like to make at least two "major" pieces a year and several small ones. My taste runs towards cherry shaker, but lately I've been studying Maloofs furniture and am trying to expand my horizons. I also like mission, but I'll only make that for other people since it doesn't match in my house.

This looks like a great forum, I'm glad I found it. Prepare to have your brains picked.

Darren
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-10-2008, 11:43 PM

Default Re: What's up all.

Welcome to the forum Darren, glad to have you here. Nice looking table in your other posts.

Don't worry about your festool collection, it will grow quickly sticking around here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-11-2008, 03:18 AM

Darren,

Welcome to talkFestool! Jump right in and pick away. There's some mighty fine brains here.

The other Darrin
Old 10-11-2008, 03:49 AM

Hi, Darren

What Festools do you own?

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 10-12-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:09 AM

Welcome Darren and I hope you enjoy your stay among us, feel free to ask as many questions as you like, there are many agile minds here mostly gathering dust

Last edited by Admin; 10-11-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

Guys, it's Darren, not Darrin. Geez. You're going to give the guy a complex.

Darren - thanks for introducing yourself. It sounds like we have had a similar journey through woodworking styles. I used to do mostly Shaker style, and I've since become a bit looser, riffing on the Maloof mode. I find it a bit more challenging, which is fun.

We use flow cytometers a lot in oceanography - they're the perfect tool for enumerating and classifying phytoplankton. In fact, that technology led to the discovery of some of the most abundant and important (tiny) phytoplankton in the oceans. Cool stuff. A colleague of mine recently built a flow cytometer that can be deployed in the ocean for months at a time, and it takes pictures of the cells that go through the lasers. I love the technology!

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Poto
Old 10-11-2008, 12:52 PM

Darren

Welcome! I'm sure you'll have some fun here

Jay
Old 10-11-2008, 02:12 PM

Darren, I live in a small cape with my wife and dog in Glastonbury CT. I am a huge mens basketball fan and make it up to Storrs for games. Good to see you here, Eric
Old 10-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum, Darren. (oh great, I was just learning to spell Darrin's name right. )

I can already tell from what you've posted so far that you're going to be a valuable addition around here.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:53 AM

Welcome Darren.

Wow! Never expected Flow to come up here. Us immunologists love our cytometers.

Tags
"i swear honey, i'll be up in a minute."