talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Marcou Planes

Marcou Planes "Owning a Marcou is like owning a Jaguar. You might not need one to get to work every day, but its beauty and performance make you lust wildly for it." Christopher Schwarz - editor of Popular Woodworking Magazine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Founding Member

Default Brown & Sharpe Surface Grinder Rebuild by Philip Marcou

Guys,

Philip will have some new progression pictures tomorrow on the planes but today he sent me the pictures of the rebuild he did of his Brown & Sharpe Surface Grinder. I love these rebuilds and I know that several of you, like John, Ron, Michael, Roger, Peter etc., could also probably do this as well but I do not think that I could and because of that I enjoy seeing it even more. My biggest problem is that I miss a lot of the little nuances that mean so much and between Philip and you all I have the pleasure of getting to see what I would have normally missed.

Fred

"These pictures show the Brown &Sharpe surface grinder I bought from next door where they make electronic brake light circuits for Hella. Made in 1926 I think, done tons of work, been fixed countless times on the fly-some good repairs others not.
The part I replaced was made from cast iron, had cracked and someone did a quick job by brazing-possibly thinking to just finish a job, so I have no idea how long it lasted. I made a new part from mild steel, which will see that machine out no doubt. The band saw did most of the work including cutting the key slot and the pinching slit, and my home made belt grinder shaped it nicely and cleaned it up. Took about a morning to make then reassembled it in the afternoon.
I also show a fixture I made to hold planes for surface grinding- the plane is set up square in it , on the granite surface block, then the whole thing is placed on the magnetic table of the surface grinder.
The other fixture is a home made device for grinding bevels of blades- works beautifully and is used every time I make a plane or rebuild one.
I also use a pair of precision vises to hold work under the grinder-they ofcourse are held by the magnetic table. Those vises are "cheap Chinese" but excellent quality-beautifully made , absolutely square all round -and hardened- I just had to modify the screw to get them right."
Attached Thumbnails
brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-brown-sharpe-surface-grinder.jpgSharpe surface grinder.jpg
Views:	2376
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1966   brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-disassembling-surface-grinder.jpg   brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-shambles-1.jpg   brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-shambles-2.jpg   brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-more-bits.....jpg  

brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-old-part-new-part.jpg   brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-cutting-out-new-part.jpg   brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-new-part-place.jpg   brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-bevel-angle-grinding-fixture.jpg   brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-finish-grinding-s20a-blade.jpg  

Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Brown & Sharpe Surface Grinder Rebuild Page 2

Here are the last two pictures.

Fred
Attached Thumbnails
brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-fixture-grinding-sides-square-sole.jpg   brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-grinding-6-using-twin-vises.jpg  
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:33 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Brown & Sharpe Surface Grinder Rebuild by Philip Marcou

Thanks again for the pictures guys. Philip, how do you dress the wheel of the surface grinder? The condition of the wheel must be critical?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Beautiful work. Just think - if you gradually replaced all the parts with the pieces you'd made, you'd have an incredible, gorgeous piece of machinery. I love the paint job on the machine - too bad you have to use all that lubricant while grinding. Kind of mars the finish...

I love the use of the bed pan for holding nuts and bolts. Is that home-made too?
Old 09-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Administrator

I'm really enjoying this.

This part duplication is pretty impressive:

Old 09-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Not just duplicated: improved! Look how much beefier the new part is in the regions that will have stresses.

And don't you just love the idea that when a part breaks, you just whip out your hunk of mild steel and make yourself a new one?!? I'd love to have the ability to do that. I don't think I'd ever leave my shop. I'd keep breaking things, just so I could make a new piece.

Hey Philip - how'd you like to make me a Marcou pasta machine? Something like this Amazon.com: Atlas Original Italian Pasta Machine,...Amazon.com: Atlas Original Italian Pasta Machine,... but with the Marcou touch?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

Hey Philip - how'd you like to make me a Marcou pasta machine?
Please! Do not distract him until we each have a full set of his planes.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Peter,

It would probably make most excellent and expensive noodles. But then if you run out of wood, you can always use your noodle-maker. :character0210:

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 09-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, I've been trying to persuade Fred that we should make pasta with his woodworking tools. You could make great noodles with a low-angle jack plane, or smaller noodles with, say, a small shoulder plane. I think it'd be a blast.

Fred says no.

Party pooper.

:smad:
Old 09-10-2009, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

He probably wouldn't consider using his H&S chiesels to carve a smoked brisket, either! But the Marcou, ham....shaved ham!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959