talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Marcou Planes

Marcou Planes "Owning a Marcou is like owning a Jaguar. You might not need one to get to work every day, but its beauty and performance make you lust wildly for it." Christopher Schwarz - editor of Popular Woodworking Magazine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Philip Marcou
Default Re: Brown & Sharpe Surface Grinder Rebuild by Philip Marcou

I love the use of the bed pan for holding nuts and bolts. Is that home-made too? [/quote]

Sorry, Petrov, I am still catching up on back posts and replies....
Now, that ther dish is not a bed pan, it is a stainless steel kidney dish. The very same item that surgeons use : they go "plink" when the forceps drop that piece of shrapnel onto them.
A doctor friend gave me several, but I now only have that one left. One was lost on the Zambezi, others were given to friends/tool freaks
Old 09-28-2009, 04:13 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Marcou View Post

I love the use of the bed pan for holding nuts and bolts. Is that home-made too?
Sorry, Petrov, I am still catching up on back posts and replies....
Now, that ther dish is not a bed pan, it is a stainless steel kidney dish. The very same item that surgeons use : they go "plink" when the forceps drop that piece of shrapnel onto them.
A doctor friend gave me several, but I now only have that one left. One was lost on the Zambezi, others were given to friends/tool freaks [/quote]

Philip,

I am sorry to hear that you have lost your kidney dishes although it sounds awfully strange. Surely a scientist would have something similar especially if they were a scientist of note know around the world to all phytoplankton. Perhaps said scientist could find this similar dish and ship it to let's say New Zealand.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:33 PM

Hello Fred,
thanks for adding Philips information on the Brown and Sharpe no.2 surface grinder this is a great interest to us as we have just recently purchased a B&S no.2 surface grinder our machine has spent many years neglected in a dirty poor enviroment however after alot of tlc the machine is running we are now in the process of oveerhauling it as dirt and sparks have found its way into the slides etc our machine is a twin belt design

there is very little information about the machines and i am hoping you could be some help as we would like to finish striping the machine and sort out any necessary repairs, we have made a few repairs but im sure there is more neeeded the spindle and housing for the grinding wheel seem to be getting very warm quickly and we are using gear oil as lubricant this could be the problem we are not sure or whether the bearings have been tightend to tight

we are based in co. armagh northern ireland and we bought the machine to help us in our workshop as we build press tools to make reproduction meccano parts or erector as its known in USA

would appreciate any help or feedback

Thanks and take care Ian
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian8008 View Post
Hello Fred,
thanks for adding Philips information on the Brown and Sharpe no.2 surface grinder this is a great interest to us as we have just recently purchased a B&S no.2 surface grinder our machine has spent many years neglected in a dirty poor enviroment however after alot of tlc the machine is running we are now in the process of oveerhauling it as dirt and sparks have found its way into the slides etc our machine is a twin belt design

there is very little information about the machines and i am hoping you could be some help as we would like to finish striping the machine and sort out any necessary repairs, we have made a few repairs but im sure there is more neeeded the spindle and housing for the grinding wheel seem to be getting very warm quickly and we are using gear oil as lubricant this could be the problem we are not sure or whether the bearings have been tightend to tight

we are based in co. armagh northern ireland and we bought the machine to help us in our workshop as we build press tools to make reproduction meccano parts or erector as its known in USA

would appreciate any help or feedback

Thanks and take care Ian
Ian, I can get you information on how to get a manual for that machine- I obtained one via the internet so I will have to re find the information.
But right now let me say that gear oil is entirely the wrong oil for the spindle bearings which consist of a taper adjustable bronze bush plus high speed ball bearings- B&S specify the viscosity and type of oil required but it comes under the grouping of "Machine oil"-very different to motor oils, gear oils etc and it has to be quite thin- the bushing is a close fit. The spindle housing normally runs warm, but if you use gear oil you risk overheating and damage as it is too thick!
Is the automatic cross feed working on yours? This seems to be a weak point and it seems hard to fix once it dies-but you can easily manual feed so it is not a total disaster.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 PM

hi Philip
just a wee update on our no 2 surface grinder , after we firstly got our machine going for the first time , amongst problems like the head heating up , the slides which the table run on were coninated with dirty oil and sparks ect and we diced to strip the machine when time allowed to give it a good clean , apart from the 2 gears held on with a special nut ect deep inside the workings all was fairly easy , the main planatry drive from the belt still remains ,,it is dry at present with no oil and there are some grinding debris inside and around the last remaining parts ,

should we remove the last few parts and wash down all or is it part and parcel of the machine to have debris inside that conpartment

we are cleaning and repainting the striped parts before we forget how it all goes back together again , so far all seems to be in order apart from the dirt

another question , your machine has coolant , there seems to be no coolant on our machine , did you add the parts yourself for coolant and will our machine be able to use coolant

i have added a few pictures of our machine im hoping they will be of some interest , a wee plate on the front says no22 AP154 , there is a brass plate on the left as you face the machine with many numbers on it not sure weather it contains relavant info

take care ian
Attached Thumbnails
brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-dsc_0068.jpg   brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-dsc_0072.jpg   brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-dsc_0069.jpg   brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-dsc_0070.jpg  
Old 12-18-2013, 08:05 PM

I have a No.2 surface grinder in need of a manual.
sn 13144 March 1940 Reconditioned May 1955.

Does anyone have a PDF file they could email? justin@taglinepackaging.com

I am missing my y-axis (fwd/rev)
ratchet wheel (large) ratchet pawl (part 660)
pawl plunger ( part 735)
pawl plunger spring ( part 735)
pawl stud ( part 733)

So I do not automatic feeding in the Y-axis.

Might anyone be able to send pictures and measurements of theirs?

Bourn & Koch Inc wants $1082.00 for those parts !!

This is the first surface grinder
Attached Thumbnails
brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-frontcontrols-w-arrows.jpg   brown-sharpe-surface-grinder-rebuild-philip-sidecontrols.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BNS #2 SG TABLE CROSS FEED MECHANISM-EARLY.pdf (445.9 KB, 10159 views)
Old 12-19-2013, 04:58 AM

You can get a manual from Lathes for that model and in fact almost any machine under the sun......
Re the cross feed parts- the machine is easy to operate this function via manual feed-in fact I prefer manual feed for that. I had to operate mine on manual for the first 3 years or so because it was broken and the previous owners had given up trying to find a cure. I fixed mine recently when something else broke and I made the effort to fix the cross feed as well, but still prefer to use manual because adjusting the cross feed is such a fussy thing-it never seems to be at the speed you want ....
As long as the x axis works properly on automatic feed you can go like a train on this old bird.....
There are other delights in store, such as the drive belt for the table....