talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2017, 07:45 PM

Default Angle grinder

I need to buy an angle grinder for the Hal Taylor rocker I am working on, I am interested in suggestions on brand/ models.

Thanks

Mark
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-16-2017, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Angle grinder

When I first did shaping of chairs, etc., I got a pretty inexpensive DeWalt angle grinder. I used Kutzall discs. They were very effective, but unbelievably messy. Dust everywhere.

After about 5 years of that, I was finally persuaded (by Fred) to buy the Festool RAS115. I am so glad I did! It's just an incredibly better tool for shaping than an angle grinder, and it has actual dust collection - which made a huge difference. Once I'd bought it, I haven't used the angle grinder since.

So: if you can afford it, I would STRONGLY recommend getting the RAS and some low grit sandpaper.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:15 PM
Administrator

I can second that shaping with an angle grinder is a giant mess, but it works. I have a Hitachi and it's been very well used for a wide variety of tasks dealing with wood, metal, tile, pavers and concrete and it seems no worse for wear. But again they make a huge mess, work outside if you can.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:44 PM

Pick up a RAS. Your lungs will be happy.
Rick.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-16-2017, 07:00 PM

I will look into the RAS thanks.