talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2017, 10:33 PM

Default Fein MOL 1200E- 8" Random Orbit Sander

While you might find one or two of these lurking still in a store or distributor gathering dust, they are discontinued by Fein. The 6" version is still for sale by Fein however.
I got mine used, for a steal of a price just a few weeks ago. New ones were $800 to $1200 depending on how much they were being discounted to finally move the tool off a shelf .
Spec- 8" diameter pad, 16 hole dust collection system. 8mm- 5/16" orbit, yes, it's that aggressive in material removal.
But, not as squirrelly as a Rotex in Rotex Mode since the Fein is still a Random Orbit Sander.
Dust Collection goes through a metal gate that's adjustable for suction level by the user with a simple spring loaded lever on the side of the Sander. So you don't have to run back to your Vac to dial the level in on a project.
Only the Festool Planex Sander comes to my mind as another tool that gives you on-the-tool control like that.
The Sander is not that heavy. The angle grinder motor style is smaller than you'd expect for powering an 8" Pad efficiently, and the eccentric bearing assembly adds enough counter-balance weight to the motor that the sander sits flat and level with no action needed by the user except to move it and control while sanding. That 8" Pad doesn't hurt either....
Using the Sander: There is no Pad Brake that I can see or feel ,so you need to treat the sander with care when lifting it off of your work surface since it's going to be spinning for a good bit unless you use your hand to stop the pad rotation once the motor is turned off.
The Pad is soft, not Hard, so even with 60 grit abrasive there's less of an even sanding effect than I'd like. I'm still surprised that there isn't a center hole or series of near the center holes, for dust collection. You have a large section of diameter pad that you hope is going to allow dust and debris to move to the outer portion where the 16 holes are located for DC collection.
Still not sure about the On-Off switch, other reviewers have also noted that it's far too easy to accidentally turn off the sander while using it. The Switch is almost a hair trigger, too little effort moves it backward to the Off Position.

Last edited by Leakyroof; 05-10-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-07-2017, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Fein MOL 1200E- 8" Random Orbit Sander

Sander and assorted abrasives in a Sys 3 Combi Systainer
Attached Thumbnails
fein-mol-1200e-8-random-orbit-img_2989.jpg  
Old 05-07-2017, 10:39 PM

Tools that the Fein should come with . Side Handle, 8mm thread on it, not actually a 10mm like some currently made similar sized 5 or 6" angle grinders..
Pin tool, slides into the bearing assembly to hold the spindle shaft during pad Removal. Pin Wrench, also known as a Pin Spanner, also used I believe for pad replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
fein-mol-1200e-8-random-orbit-img_2992.jpg  
Old 05-07-2017, 10:41 PM

6" Rotex side by side with the 8" Fein
Attached Thumbnails
fein-mol-1200e-8-random-orbit-img_2993.jpg  
Old 05-07-2017, 10:43 PM

Speed Adjustable, 1-6, at the end of the motor
Attached Thumbnails
fein-mol-1200e-8-random-orbit-img_2997.jpg  
Old 05-07-2017, 10:46 PM

Electric Spec plate, doesn't pull too many amps for use with a Festool Vac from what I've seen.
Attached Thumbnails
fein-mol-1200e-8-random-orbit-img_2991.jpg  
Old 05-07-2017, 10:50 PM

The sliding D.C. Gate. Admittedly, an oddball port compared to what we're used to with Festool, but I've worked out several solutions and will post them later today so you can see some options including the hard to find Fein adapter hose that actually fits the Sander's large oval dust port.
Attached Thumbnails
fein-mol-1200e-8-random-orbit-img_2996.jpg  
Old 05-08-2017, 01:28 AM

The DC gate moved half way. The lever that works it has a small spring on it to lessen or prevent the gate from moving on you once you've selected a position you want. Seems to be a simple, rugged affair.....
Attached Thumbnails
fein-mol-1200e-8-random-orbit-img_2995.jpg  
Old 05-12-2017, 04:57 PM

Fein Sander in action ,with Fein Adapter hose fitting hooked to a Festool Hose. You'll need either a Tie-wrap or a hose clamp on the Fein hose adapter at the tool to keep it on that large oval. Even the right part doesn't stay on by itself....
Attached Thumbnails
fein-mol-1200e-8-random-orbit-door-work-007.jpg  
Old 06-16-2017, 06:17 PM

I popped the Fein out for the recent Teak Table restoration that I've been showing on another post here at talkFestool.
With the speed setting at 1 or 2, this sander just crawls along and I was able to hold it with one hand while trying it out on sanding the edges of one of the Tables as a test. Speed control is very effective on this sander.
I really appreciated the 8" diameter pad to help sand 48" diameter tops....
Sped up the process over a 6" sander for sure.