talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2016, 06:03 PM

Default Hearing protection with digital sound and bluetooth

I know it sound trivial but I just got a pair of these hearing protection with digital radio and Bluetooth and ordered a second pair immediately I liked them so much.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes-...85260_TE_dp_i1

If you (like I did) have old analog-style hearing protection, with the radio signal constantly phasing in and out, you will love these - wirelessly hooks to your phone so you can listen to your music library instead of the radio when you want, and it lets you know when calls come in.

Hardly earth shattering, I know, but we all need to protect our hearing, right? Why not enjoy the process?

Like the guys on the Big Bang Theory show said, everything is better with Bluetooth.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-15-2016, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Hearing protection with digital sound and bluetooth

Paul,

Do they have a mini plug for a non Bluetooth device?

Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-18-2016, 02:53 PM

Listening to music via headphones is a potentially distracting - dangerous - activity! Be careful.

I have music on in the background, but as soon as I use machinery, the hearing protection blocks it out.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 07-18-2016, 04:34 PM

Wise words of caution Derek - the music being inside the hearing protection doesn't completey obliterate the machinery sounds, still able to monitor the equipment, just at a non-ear-shattering level.

And yes, Rutager, there is a direct connection you can use if you prefer.

Used them over the weekend again to great satisfaction - seems like a small thing, but adds to the comfort and enjoyment. Hopefully we can use them safely as Derek suggests.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:05 AM

I'd like to have something like this. I probably wouldn't use them while using heavy machinery, as Derek suggested, it kinda takes you away from the job at hand.
Sanding, they would be great! And since about 50% of my working week is sanding, they could help with the boredom. Sanding gets old real fast when you spend half your working life doing it. There's a few podcasts I like listening to.
I wonder if the Bluetooth technology causes potential ill health like smartphones, that's my concern? Apple recommends keeping their smart phones a few inches away from your skin while in use (in their small print).
Old 08-05-2016, 04:53 PM

I have found that I can still hear the jointer, planer, ts and router very clearly, just with the overall decibel and sharp sounds reduced, I don't sense any safety issue there.

As far as the Bluetooth signal being potentially harmful as the cellular phone wireless signal, I guess not, but am certainly no expert. I doubt it's an issue for us part-time users - for full time long-term exposure I'll keep my uneducated opinions to myself (I know, that seems weird to me too, to actually keep my mouth shut for once, but I have had great success when I have been smart enough to do that in the past, on rare occasion).
Old 08-06-2016, 12:18 AM

I hear ya Paul.
I've heard reports that the wireless technology some police forces are using has caused some ill health problems. I'm no expert either by the way, just a little weary.
Cheers