talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2016, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Default SawStop Jobsite

Any folks here have a sawstop? My old portable went to a family memer and I finally picked up it's replacement.

SawStop brake tech aside the Jobsite saw is really well designed. A place for everything, the stand set up is extremely easy, nice fence and table extension, easy blade adjust, nothing else I could find really measured up.

I look forward to soon running some wood through it and seeing the cut quality and dust collection.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:53 PM

Default Re: SawStop Jobsite

Hope you will keep us in the loop as you get to know your sawstop. I don't own one, but I took some classes at a school that used them and I really liked it.

Been thinking about swapping my monster Unisaw for something smaller, so the SS jobsite might just be the answer!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-25-2016, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Will definitely share my experiences with it, should feed it some wood later this week.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:50 AM

Hope you like it - I look forward to your opinion after you have used it for a while. I didn't get this model but I did finally get sawstop ts last summer, you would think I would be happy. But over the weekend I was complaining about swapping out the blade and the dado stack - I know, now I need two table saws! You just can't please some people.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-2016, 04:13 AM
Perfect Little Angel

I have had the jobsite saw since it came to market. There are some nice features and it's a nice saw to use but there are some issues with it. It definitely isn't as sturdy as the Bosch 4100-09 it replaced. I went with it for a couple features but mainly the flesh detection.

I'll list out a few issues I have and then you can see how your mileage varies. Keep in mind that mine is trailered and moved about so this may be different if your is shop based.

1) Saw blade insert is junk. Flexes way too much and really sucks when cutting smaller pieces that don't bridge across it. You can fix this issue spending about $125 on a Colliflower zero clearance insert. Zero-clearance Plate for Sawstop Table Saws ? COLLIFLOWER, LLC and make sure to tell him it's for a JSS.

2) No rear outfeed support built in, or available as an accessory. This for me is a pretty big issue. I've even tried to figure out how to add something on myself but the design of the saw doesn't really lend itself to that. You are stuck with using an adjustable stand in the field cutting longer pieces. I think a lot of folks thought ROUSSEAU would make a table and everyone would be happy then. I don't believe they have yet and I'm not sure SawStop is working on it either. I would prefer a built in pull out extension vs carting something else around.

3) Extension table is flimsy. IMO they used extrusions that are just undersized and the screws used to hold it are not the proper type of fastener and will let it slip. Mine comes out of adjustment pretty regularly, but I cut mainly smaller stuff so it's not a huge issue, just annoying.

4) No dust bag from SawStop. Why Not? The Bosch one for the 4100 fits and works great on it. You would think they would work quickly to keep their saws from having red lettering that says "Bosch" hanging from it.

5) My gray base that is part of the saw and bolts (touches) the stand has a crack in the corner. I'm not sure if that is indicative of things to come and it doesn't cause any issues now, but it's cracked. They sent me a replacement part that I have not installed yet. (SawStop has been very good at reacting to issues that are brought up).

6) The saw blade life mechanism has a chrome bar at the rear that rides up and down a bushing. You will have to keep some dry lube handy as this will start shuttering pretty bad when you raise and lower the blade. It might be an issue with whatever material they did or didn't use as a bearing on it. The Bosch had similar issues with it's lifting mechanism but took 20 something cranks vs the 1 the SawStop take to raise and lower the blade. Cheers to the 1 crank.

7) There are times 1-2 times per week when I pull the paddle out and the saw doesn't start. The ready light will be green but still won't start. I have to shut the main power switch off and let it reboot then it will start. I have been cutting and had the saw shut down on me. After looking at the flashing lights and realizing what I was doing (twice now) I was cutting wet lumber. I was very glad that it went into moisture overload and shut down vs triggering the stopping mechanism.

I have had one blade stop incident as I was cutting someone dumbly touched the blade just to see what it would do. Of course I was extremely unhappy about this incident but it did what it was supposed to do. Luckily I had an extra cartridge and saw blade at the jobsite with me and the other person lost $200 out of curiosity.

Chris...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
Any folks here have a sawstop? My old portable went to a family memer and I finally picked up it's replacement.

SawStop brake tech aside the Jobsite saw is really well designed. A place for everything, the stand set up is extremely easy, nice fence and table extension, easy blade adjust, nothing else I could find really measured up.

I look forward to soon running some wood through it and seeing the cut quality and dust collection.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:29 AM
Administrator

That's great info Chris, thanks! I can see one of those inserts in my future.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:59 AM

Fine Woodworking just did a video overview of the upcoming Bosch Reaxx saw which is a competitor to the job site SawStop.

Looks really nice. $200 more money but includes a few things:

- Much better insert - no flexing and it's a composite material
- Better fence with front and back clamping, phenolic fence faces
- Cartridge blowing DOES NOT destroy the blade. Replace the cartridge and you are back to work
- Cartridge comes as a pair - less money than SawStop. When it blows, you reverse the cartridge in about 4 minutes time and back to work.
- Outfeed table extension which I liked a lot over the SawStop
- Flesh detection drops the blade but does not immediately stop it from turning. That's how they keep from destroying the blade.

More details including a video here -

Bosch's Reaxx tablesaw visits FWW - Fine Woodworking
Old 04-27-2016, 04:48 AM
Administrator

Probably not long until more brands offer the brake technology, glad to see competition out there. That Bosch outfeed is a nice addition
Old 05-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Some initial user observations of the jobsite saw.

Runout was about .006 (I only checked it with the pre-installed blade below the gullet), the blade parallel to miter slots is a bit off about .003". Also rip fence gets closer to the blade in the back by about .005" (whether or not the table is extended) which is the value I don't like the most. I've pinged sawstop to see what can be adjusted at all, figured I'd ask before trying to do it myself, no instructions or specs that I have found.

The top is low in the middle between the miter slots about .005 at worst and the extension table to the right varies about the same whether extended or not.

It's been very easy to use the little I've cut so far, the dust collection has been good, I'm only using the lower dust port with my shop vac/dust deputy rig so I still get junk on the top. Blade square was easy to tweak with the front dial. Also the pre marked rip fence ruler was pretty accurate either extended or not.

For outfeed I'm rigging something up using a keter folding workbench which will be good enough for my purposes when I need it and provides a lot more surface than those slide out bars albeit less convenient.

As Chris noted the insert isn't the best, I'll use it for a while but suspect I'll end up with one of those nice aftermarket varieties before too long.

All in all it's an improvement over what I was using, but of course it isn't a cabinet saw nor do I expect it to be. The compactness and portability are a huge advantage in my situation. I'll see if it can be tweaked a bit but I'll get some good use out of it for sure.

I'll report back what I find out about adjustments.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:53 PM

Great feedback Paul! I'm a little disappointed in the specs you found, but I guess I'm comparing it to the cabinet saw. I would certainly think that the fence and alignment of the blade to the miter slots could be adjusted - the big issue is whether the adjustments will last.

I wonder how these specs compare to other jobsite saws?

Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures!