talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2015, 04:25 PM

Default Forrest Blades

For the new table saw, I ordered some blades from Forrest. It's like Christmas, with long anticipation for the blades to be delivered, they are very busy, apparently.

I have their dado king set, an am very pleased with it, but I don't have a lot of experience to compare them against other blades. I don't have delivery of the other blades ordered yet, but hope they are of good quality for the price paid.

What are your opinions on the Forrest Blades' products? Are they worth the $$? Seem to be, in my opinion, but I am interested in hearing from the experts out there.

Still looking for the UPS truck, hope it shows up soon.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: Forrest Blades

I've been using a 10" Woodworker II in my 5hp Jet for many years. I have the blade stabilizer for it also, but that must be rmoved to get a full-depth cut, as it rises above the table with the blade fully raised. I have used it for everything but laminates and it has never been resharpened.

I think it's about 18 years old. It is not quite as smooth as when new, but still cuts cleanly. I have read that plywood and MDF can dull any blade faster due to the resins being harder than wood. I think once I have this resharpened, I will dedicate it to solid wood only and use a different carbide blade for ply and MDF.

Or, maybe I should just buy a new one for hardwoods and keep the old one for destructive materials....

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-18-2015, 08:01 PM

Since my TS is a Sawstop, I decided to have a backup of each type of blade, and of the dado set - a bit excessive perhaps, but they will look cool lined up in the storage drawer I made for a cabinet underneath the saw. Also, I can relegate a set for destructive work and then just use it when I send out the good set for resharpening or when the Sawstop brake triggers.

Nice to know good things about the Woodworker II, mine is still on the way, trying to be patient but I think my ancestors lost that gene somewhere along the way.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I've seen the Sawstop demos at shows and the cuts from their house-brand blades are excellent. I didn't know you could mount other brand blades on a Sawstop and still have the preventive technology work. If I remember right, the whole replacement kit from Sawstop, including their blade, was less than the Woodworker II blade alone.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 09-18-2015, 08:50 PM

You can use other blades on Sawstop - I did not find the standard blade to be great, others' experiences may differ. I thought I would try out premium blades. I understand that they just have to be the correct diameter and not have certain coatings to work with the Sawstop braking system, but you'll have to check directly with Sawstop to be sure.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:44 PM

Never used Forrest blades, but have heard a lot of good about them.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:55 PM

Big fan of Forrest blades, just bought another on their recent sale, they had said it would be 5-6 weeks, but it was only a couple. I had to get the blade reamed out to fit a 1 1/8" arbor, so I thought it would take longer.

I bought a 12" plywood and laminate blade, haven't used it yet.

They also do a great job sharpening them. Alex, send yours in, you'll be glad you did.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
They also do a great job sharpening them. Alex, send yours in, you'll be glad you did.
I was thinking the same thing! After eighteen years
Old 09-19-2015, 02:16 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I use Forrest blades. Highly recommend them.

Get a full kerf blade. After 20 years of use and a hand-full of re-sharpenings that one is now approaching a thin kerf blade with a very strong and flat body.

I have three of the same Forrest blades and even the worst one (that's missing so many teeth that re-sharpening would cost almost as much as replacement) cuts better than the highly touted Ridge blade sold by Woodpecker's.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:48 PM

Good to know, now I am more impatient than ever - my order has been in for several weeks now - good things come to those who wait, right?