talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2015, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Don't polish that cast iron top!

Wow, that's a good score! Old iron Unisaw better than the crap they are churning out in China these days...
If you're gunna sand it off, Michael's advice is good. I've done it that way before with scotch brite pads and orbital sander.
I'd strip that machine down first, if it were mine.
I'd also look into what rutager mentioned about getting it flattened. I did it with my Northfield #4 and it was well worth it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-2015, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the tips. It's a 1950 vintage per the serial #, first thing I'll do is check the wiring and fire it up to see if it works. It does spin by hand. At $40 it was a no brainer. I could part it out and be ahead. Hardest part was getting the beast in and out of the truck...a mild practice session for the eventual Northfield
Old 09-20-2015, 12:53 AM

You can't part that old beast out, Paul! Not unless it has fatal damage!
I hope to see it brought back to its former glory in a thread
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-2015, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
You can't part that old beast out, Paul! Not unless it has fatal damage!
I hope to see it brought back to its former glory in a thread
Yes, only if there's something massively wrong will it get parted out. My previous cheapo table saw went to a new home and I'm eager to get this beast up and running, but will be doing a full tear down and rebuild. I was prowling for a while now for a heavy used saw in the heavily discounted price range, this one finally fit the bill. I'll be taking lots of pictures while bringing it back to life and will certainly share.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:42 PM

For what its worth, I finally came to my preferred solution for polishing. Festool Vlies pads on the RO150 work great with WD 40. I then tried Boeshield for a finish, had mixed results. Actually got a call back from a Bostik engineer who said it does build up and you have to wipe it out very quickly after a light spray, while still wet. Did not seem to have a nice looking finish that stands up to a little dust and sweat.

Decided to try a nice carnauba car wax ( I like the stuff Griot's sells) - it works great, looks great, wood slides well, easy to clean up and touch up. Seems to work much better than the high tech stuff.