talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2014, 06:37 AM

Default Bridgeport

In my quest for a larger (better) drill press I have started wondering about a older used Bridgeport instead of a Drill Press. Has anyone done this or looked into it very much? I think I would want one with out any electronics.

Thoughts?

Mark
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-17-2014, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Bridgeport

I know a couple guys with mills and they are great for woodworking as well. Very accurate and also capable of doing other operations besides just drilling.

Make sure you get one in good a shape to begin with- refurbishing one can get expensive. Try to find one where it was used on softer materials like brass or aluminum; less stress on the tool.

Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:53 PM

The more mills and accessories that you can get with it, the better. They can cost much more than the bare machine.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:28 AM

I *REALLY* want a Bridgeport myself. I've never used one so have no idea how long it would take to become even moderately good with it, but I've doing more and more projects with aluminum and I'd LOVE to have one to play with. I mean USE.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow View Post

I *REALLY* want a Bridgeport myself. I've never used one so have no idea how long it would take to become even moderately good with it, but I've doing more and more projects with aluminum and I'd LOVE to have one to play with. I mean USE.
I've never used one either, but I happen to have one in my shop tool museum.

It was a lucky find a few years ago, an almost new 2001 model, the same year that Bridgeport went bankrupt.

I bought it from an ex-employee of Bridgeport, and had it shipped from Bridgeport, CN to Los Angeles, CA.

It came with OEM Bridgeport power feeds still new in the boxes, which simply can't be found anywhere.

One of these days I might even hook it up.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:13 PM

Well, John, before you do, check out bankruptcy auctions for tooling so you can hit the ground running. Let's see, ,, you are going to need a set of boring bars, and don't forget the obligatory rotary table, and clamping and measuring tooling and,,

I could put a list together for you if you'd like.

Charles

Oh, by the way, you did get a set of collets already, didn't you?
Old 11-19-2014, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesWilson View Post

Well, John, before you do, check out bankruptcy auctions for tooling so you can hit the ground running.
I've already been warned about tooling costs, Charles.

I guess it's kind of like with a camera, a good body isn't cheap, but it's the lenses that really add up.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:30 PM

My buddy bought a used CNC mill for about $7,000 and is now up to about an additional $20,000 in tooling, fixtures and calibration equipment. Adds up quick. Doesn't have to be though if you're just using it like a souped up drill press. A few simple straight cutters and some clamps.

Charles makes an excellent point in trying to find one that comes with a bunch of extras.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post

... Doesn't have to be though if you're just using it like a souped up drill press. A few simple straight cutters and some clamps.
If it's to be used only as a heavy duty drill press, a Jet J-2221vs might be a good alternate choice. Made in Taiwan, it's a really well made, precision piece of machinery. Weighs over 700 pounds.

I bought one last year (it's not 3 phase) and I love it.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:53 PM

If you go to one of those auctions with a machinist friend or two you can learn a lot about metalworking and come home with tooling you will actually need for the type of work you want to do.

As for glorified drill press usage, my first auction purchase was for a set of letter, number and fractional drill bits in three metal drawer sections. The whole kit and kaboodle only cost $200! It cost me another hundred to get the dozen or so missing bits to populate the empty compartments. Along with the drawers of bits I got a live center (because it was sitting atop the drawers) with a taper that didn't fit my mini lathe or mini mill. I traded it for a 12" rotary table (which can also be used as a boat anchor) from one of my friends who was able to snag the rotary table for only $25.

Charles