talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2014, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Bridgeport

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
I'm not surprised, I never saw one before I bought it. It must be Jet's best kept secret.

I came across photos of it online line but could never find a dealer who had one, or anyone who owned one. I talked to Jesse at Eagle Tools, who is a Jet dealer, and even he had never seen one.

Jesse called Jet for me, and was told there were none in Southern California for me to look at. He was also told that the machine was made in China. I almost passed on it, because I have not had good luck in the past with machines made in China. But, when Jesse told me that Jet was having a sale on their big drill presses I decide to take a chance and order one.

To everyone's surprise the machine turned out to be made in Taiwan, and is extremely well built. The fit and finish is beautiful. And no measurable play or runout found anywhere.

I'm very glad I took the chance.

Specs look impressive- 1 1/4" drill capacity ....., What is your main use for it John?
Looks nice. I love my 20" Delta, but it is too loose for metal work really. Fine for smaller bits or lighter drilling.

Last edited by Leakyroof; 11-28-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-28-2014, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post

Specs look impressive- 1 1/4" drill capacity ....., What is your main use for it John?
Looks nice. I love my 20" Delta, but it is too loose for metal work really. Fine for smaller bits or lighter drilling.
The machine is meant for metal work but it also works just fine for wood.

RPMs manually adjustable with a crank from 300 to 2000. Weighs over 700 lbs., 2 HP 115/220 motor. Absolutely no vibration or play. Will drill through almost anything, up to 1" in steel.

I looked at high end drill presses for a couple of years before discovering this one. It's not cheap, but probably less than a good used mill, if all you need is a heavy duty drill press.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:29 AM

Quote:
The machine is meant for metal work but it also works just fine for wood.

RPMs manually adjustable with a crank from 300 to 2000. Weighs over 700 lbs., 2 HP 115/220 motor. Absolutely no vibration or play. Will drill through almost anything, up to 1" in steel.

I looked at high end drill presses for a couple of years before discovering this one. It's not cheap, but probably less than a good used mill, if all you need is a heavy duty drill press.

. Sounds good and up to the level of quality that you needed. I need to look up old Cincinnati Radial Drill Presses and post a picture of the one I used to operate from time to time. Very stout, coolant pump equipped, power feed settings. Would probably cost so much money today for the same level of build quality..
Old 11-29-2014, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post

Sounds good and up to the level of quality that you needed. I need to look up old Cincinnati Radial Drill Presses and post a picture of the one I used to operate from time to time. Very stout, coolant pump equipped, power feed settings. Would probably cost so much money today for the same level of build quality..
Yeah, it's hard to beat the quality of some of those old heavy cast iron machines. Heavy always means less vibration.

They can be great to restore, but parts can be a problem, and so can finding one in good enough condition to restore.

Back to good drill presses, I almost forgot about the Ellis 9400, still built in the USA (Wisconsin). I got close to buying one, but I liked the specs on the Jet more.

Ellis 9400

Old 11-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Founding Member

What's the price range for the drill presses you're talking about, John?
Old 11-30-2014, 04:59 PM

Ned

Acme sells the Ellis drill press for $3423.99.

ELLIS-9400E | Acme Tools

Northern sells the Jet drill press for $3099.00

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6672_200406672

neil

Last edited by neilc; 11-30-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilc View Post

Northern sells the Jet drill press for $3099.00
I think that's about what I paid. As a promotion, it also came with a free Wilton drill press vise.

When the press arrived the bill of lading had it listed at 850 lbs. Since the press specs listed it at 715 lbs., I thought the freight company had padded the weight. The pallet and heavy duty box could not add that much.

The vise was in a box strapped on top of the drill press enclosure. I cut the strap and it still wouldn't move, I thought it was also bolted in place. Turned out that the vise weighs over 100 lbs. It's not easy to get up on the drill press table, but it doesn't need to be bolted down to stay in place.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I've never used one either, but I happen to have one in my shop tool museum.

It was a lucky find a few years ago, an almost new 2001 model, the same year that Bridgeport went bankrupt.

I bought it from an ex-employee of Bridgeport, and had it shipped from Bridgeport, CN to Los Angeles, CA.

It came with OEM Bridgeport power feeds still new in the boxes, which simply can't be found anywhere.

One of these days I might even hook it up.

I hate to see that thing sitting there all neglected. I'll be happy to store it for you and run it periodically so the bearings don't dry out or the seals go flat.

No need to thank me - it's just the kind of guy I am.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

The sad fact about this old iron is that no one now under 50 would have any idea how to run it. Unless there is a revival of skilled machinists vs. CNC, this will be scrap in another 20 years...

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 12-01-2014, 07:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
I think that's about what I paid. As a promotion, it also came with a free Wilton drill press vise.

When the press arrived the bill of lading had it listed at 850 lbs. Since the press specs listed it at 715 lbs., I thought the freight company had padded the weight. The pallet and heavy duty box could not add that much.

The vise was in a box strapped on top of the drill press enclosure. I cut the strap and it still wouldn't move, I thought it was also bolted in place. Turned out that the vise weighs over 100 lbs. It's not easy to get up on the drill press table, but it doesn't need to be bolted down to stay in place.

John,
Perhaps you should just get another drill press so you could avoid all that lifting.